Oil equivalents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobbyp10

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone know where to find equivalent specs, grades, ratings of different oils we use in compressors or otherwise?

ie - What would be a generic, but similar/same oil to replace "Coltri 751"?

I think Coltri would be the people to ask but in the USA the owner of this website (I have no connection with them!) has most of the answers.

Go to:

Coltri Sub High Pressure Breathing Air Compressors Supplies from Ray Contreras Sales

Its 54$ to the gallon. Expensive but not ridiculous.

Seajay

That's good. But what im really looking for is anything BUT the labelled compressor manufactures oils.

What could replace Nuvair 751? Anderol 750?

eg, a Mobil, shell, esso, product

"751" is a designation for a diester synthetic oil produced by Ultrachem, Chemlube 751. A replacement would be Chemlube 800, which I believe is a triester synthetic.The simplist way, is to ask the supplier for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet), for the oil product you are asking about. You can compare these with MSDS from different manufacturers/suppliers. If an oil has the same characteristics, it is a good replacement. Most oils offered by compressor suppliers are relabeled anyway. Suppliers buy drums of oil from a manufacturer/distributor and package it under their own "brand".

Craig

Wow, do I have recent experience with Chemlube 800. Both of my Mako 5406 compressors started using oil faster than I could put it in, to the point where we were saturating the first filter in 20 or so operating hours. We tried and tried to find the solution, including rebuilding valves, rebuilding auto drains, changing filters every 10 hours, anything to keep the oil use down. Finally we honed, re-ringed, and re-broke in the compressors. Nirvana! We got a call from our UltraChem rep who asked us why we were using Chemlube 800 in an air compressor. We stated because it was for the increased flashpoint that the 800 offers over the 751. He stated that the 800 was NOT to be used in breathing air machines because it would glaze the walls of the cylinders, and the Chemlube 501 or Chemlube 751 would be the proper oil, depending on required viscosity. We are no longer using oil, and I just threw away a new bucket of Chemlube 800. Don't use a triesther oil, only use a diesther oil. I am now a believer.

For the OP, Chemlube 751 from Ultrachem is a fine oil for your needs. Be sure your compressor is out of warranty before you switch. I'm paying about $37 a gallon for the Chemlube 501 in a 5 gallon pail. Chemlube doesn't sell smaller quantities.

"751" is a designation for a diester synthetic oil produced by Ultrachem, Chemlube 751. A replacement would be Chemlube 800, which I believe is a triester synthetic.The simplist way, is to ask the supplier for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet), for the oil product you are asking about. You can compare these with MSDS from different manufacturers/suppliers. If an oil has the same characteristics, it is a good replacement. Most oils offered by compressor suppliers are relabeled anyway. Suppliers buy drums of oil from a manufacturer/distributor and package it under their own "brand".

Craig

Good good good. Craig, your comments led to me finding Industrial lubricant cross reference chart | Synthetic oils, lubricants, and greases very easily, and thus a whole list of similar oils. The one thing interesting note was that some of the equivalent oils were noted as "not for breathing air" applications. Some also stated they didnt go well with too much O2. But a really great reference to start with!
R

The one thing interesting note was that some of the equivalent oils were noted as "not for breathing air" applications. Some also stated they didnt go well with too much O2.
R
This was on the MSDS supplied after contacting the relevant companies and reading the info provided, usually very extensive. They all showed ISO, SAE, flashpoints, spec gravity, density and more...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom