Ok I'm biting the bullet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tric,
I've been reading your post and you go girl. Go for it. Ive been wanting to dive for over 10 years but put it off due to time,money or both.Well I got certified about 2003 and I got the bug (slang for love of ). I just have one warning for you when you get the bug too, you are going to love diving and especially here in Fl. We got so much its great. I too am overweight and by first apperience people judge me. But I can hold up my own. I bet you will do the same and with practice you'll be doing circles around the skinny divers and using less air. Good luck and dive safe life is to short to sit on the bench.

Hi Scubaranger,

Thanks for your encouraging words. Life is definitely to short to not try and a least accomplish some of your dreams. The ocean is my passion, hopefully one day soon my profession as well. I need to do this for me...I have the bug already, I can't imagine once i'm already diving. But one thing is for sure, I am so looking forward to this. We're fortunate that we live in such a great state, and exploring this state will be one huge adventure.

You're right about people placing judgement before even knowing the person that you are. However, that has never stopped me, I do exactly what I mean to do, regardless of what people think of me. It's that judgement that stops most people of weight from doing what they love. I will never be that person!

Thank you again! Please stay in touch
Tricia

scubaranger:
Tric,
I've been reading your post and you go girl. Go for it. Ive been wanting to dive for over 10 years but put it off due to time,money or both.Well I got certified about 2003 and I got the bug (slang for love of ). I just have one warning for you when you get the bug too, you are going to love diving and especially here in Fl. We got so much its great. I too am overweight and by first apperience people judge me. But I can hold up my own. I bet you will do the same and with practice you'll be doing circles around the skinny divers and using less air. Good luck and dive safe life is to short to sit on the bench.

Hey Tricia
Congrats on your determination. What area do you live in? All this talk about going to your dive shop, perhaps if we knew the area you are from somebody can point you in the direction of a good shop and or instructor. A couple instructors have posted on this thread already, and the couple that I know of (that have posted here) are good.

Finding the Fitness forum is good. Lots of good stuff in there. The fitness forum also has a foods section with yummy recipies.

triciask:
You're right about people placing judgement before even knowing the person that you are. However, that has never stopped me, I do exactly what I mean to do, regardless of what people think of me. It's that judgement that stops most people of weight from doing what they love. I will never be that person!

Tricia - here's a little phrase I've learned recently about those who pass judgment: Ya spot it, ya got it!

That goes for any judgments. Once you get down to the root of things and say to yourself, "I'm going to do it, I couldn't care what anyone thinks, thats their problem!" life gets much easier! Of course, based on your post, this is preachin to the choir!! :)

Hey Cbulla :)

"Ya spot it, ya got it! <---------- How awesome is that!? Thanks I love it!

Tricia

CBulla:
Tricia - here's a little phrase I've learned recently about those who pass judgment: Ya spot it, ya got it!

That goes for any judgments. Once you get down to the root of things and say to yourself, "I'm going to do it, I couldn't care what anyone thinks, thats their problem!" life gets much easier! Of course, based on your post, this is preachin to the choir!! :)

Hey Jenny,

Thanks! I am very determined :)

I live in Hollywood, and after talking with Cbulla he recommended someone to me. I have been in touch with her and I was just waiting to see what my doc said before going any further.
Thanks for suggesting the Fitness forum, I have been peeking around a bit in there :)

Look out here I come :)

Tricia

Scuba_Jenny:
Hey Tricia
Congrats on your determination. What area do you live in? All this talk about going to your dive shop, perhaps if we knew the area you are from somebody can point you in the direction of a good shop and or instructor. A couple instructors have posted on this thread already, and the couple that I know of (that have posted here) are good.

Finding the Fitness forum is good. Lots of good stuff in there. The fitness forum also has a foods section with yummy recipies.

Hollywood? How cool is that? Now hurry up and get certified so we can do some diving!

Tricia, you sure know how to find the best bunch of divers on the 'net! I can't wait to see how you do diving with the Conchs once your OW class is finished.

For what it's worth, the PADI OW class has a watermanship requirement of a 200 yard swim (or 300 yard snorkel) and a 10 minute survival float. If you can do that, you can do anything else that they throw at you.

The biggest problem with having a high fat to lean ratio, other than the issue with nitrogen that was already mentioned, is that you might have to use a little more weight to get down. A good instructor will be cautious about the amount of weight that you carry, though, and you should do just fine. Everybody feels pretty weighted down during those first few dives, so don't sweat it. Once you get your card, dive with the group and they'll teach you lots of neat tricks to improve your diving and have more fun. (It worked for me, anyway. That's why I finished my DM after diving with the group for a few months and now, less than a year later, I've just become an instructor.)

Good luck with everything. I can't wait to read about your OW training. With your attitude, it'll be a breeze!

All the best,
Grier

Hi Grier,

How lucky can a girl get with all these new friends here on Scubaboard?!!!

Yes now that my doctor says i'm ok to scuba, I'm going to try and lose a bit more weight before I actually start my certification. But in the meantime I would like to get the academics out of the way first. I don't think that I will have a problem with a 200 yard swim. The gym I just left used to have a pretty large pool, though I not sure if it was olympic sized or not and I could swim the length with out stopping. If I had to guess it's probably about 200 yards. Treading at my size - No problem, I float really well :wink:

Like with anything, getting used to something is probably the most difficult part. I'm sure at first all the equipment will seem cumbersumb, but i'm ready for it and I can't wait. But I want to be smart and lose some more weight first! The more I lose the better the experience will be. I've waited this long to dive, what's a couple more months - right?!
Congratulations on becoming an Instructor!! You must be very proud of yourself, and rightfully so. Any student taking instruction from you will be very fortunate. You have a wonderful way of communication, and compassion. The best of luck to you!!

Thank you for all your advise,
Tricia

GrierHPharmD:
Tricia, you sure know how to find the best bunch of divers on the 'net! I can't wait to see how you do diving with the Conchs once your OW class is finished.

For what it's worth, the PADI OW class has a watermanship requirement of a 200 yard swim (or 300 yard snorkel) and a 10 minute survival float. If you can do that, you can do anything else that they throw at you.

The biggest problem with having a high fat to lean ratio, other than the issue with nitrogen that was already mentioned, is that you might have to use a little more weight to get down. A good instructor will be cautious about the amount of weight that you carry, though, and you should do just fine. Everybody feels pretty weighted down during those first few dives, so don't sweat it. Once you get your card, dive with the group and they'll teach you lots of neat tricks to improve your diving and have more fun. (It worked for me, anyway. That's why I finished my DM after diving with the group for a few months and now, less than a year later, I've just become an instructor.)

Good luck with everything. I can't wait to read about your OW training. With your attitude, it'll be a breeze!

All the best,
Grier

triciask:
I don't think that I will have a problem with a 200 yard swim. The gym I just left used to have a pretty large pool, though I not sure if it was olympic sized or not and I could swim the length with out stopping. If I had to guess it's probably about 200 yards. Treading at my size - No problem, I float really well :wink:

Typically, olympic sized pools run 50 meters one way. That would make two entire trips across the pool from your original starting point. Meaning, to the other side and back twice.

Joe

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom