Ok I'm biting the bullet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triciask

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Everyone has been so welcoming and so helpful that I thought I would just bite the bullet and ask some questions.

What lead me to this site was a web search I was doing to find dive suits in +++ sizes. By chance I happened to come across a few threads from this site where some women were talking about being overweight divers. The conversations were interesting because well.....if you've seen my picture on my profile than it's obvious that I too am overweight. This is the ONLY thing that has held me back from getting certified. Two years ago I emailed several marine biologists and asked for advise. Only one person responded and the answers were vague.

This is where I bite the bullet, I need as much info from all the pros here in this forum to give it to me straight. I know the generic answer: One must be fit in order to be certified. But I need lots more info.

I am a healthy overweight person (by this I mean, no high blood pressure, no heart disease, no diabetes, etc etc etc.) I do workout 3 times a week, I eat healthy foods only, rarely drink, quit smoking 3 yrs ago. I consider myself to be active (definitely not a sloucher).
I know, you must all be thinking, well if she's a health conscious why is she still overweight. The answer is, well let's just say I know which path I must take if I want to do the things that I aspire to do. I've gotten very serious about my weight problem and am working hard towards achieving significant weight loss. Ok so here are some questions:

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you all in advance.

For an overweight person (without having to disclose my actual weight) what would be considered a safe weight to become certified?

How do the dangers/precautions differ for overweight divers vs. divers of normal weight?

Are there any certification dive companies that will actually work with overweight people, and if so, does anyone know the names of those companies?

Besides the obvious limitations, what are some of the other physical limitations?

Give it to me straight...lifes too short to be a dreamer without action!

You may find it hard to get some gear, but do not let your weight stop you from doing what you love! I say kudos to you for putting forth the effort, and to anyone who would slam you....BAH HUMBUG! CONGRATS ON GOING FOR IT!!!

triciask:
For an overweight person (without having to disclose my actual weight) what would be considered a safe weight to become certified?
You may want to discuss this with your primary care physician. It may be safe for you to be certified now, presuming you have no other contraindicators (diabetes, etc.) Your doctor might be best able to identify a target weight, or put you in touch with a nutritionist who can be more definitive.

How do the dangers/precautions differ for overweight divers vs. divers of normal weight?
So long as all goes well, there may be little variance. If things get snotty, the primary danger is that diving under duress can demand endurance - the ability to swim against a current, to haul oneself and one's gear up a ladder on a boat in 3' waves, etc. Assuming you are completely healthy in all other respects, you will want to work on developing or improving cardiovascular endurance and some weight training to ensure you're able to perform the tasks that may be necessary in a difficult situation.

Are there any certification dive companies that will actually work with overweight people, and if so, does anyone know the names of those companies?
Most agencies will insist that you have a medical fitness examination signed off by a physician. So long as you pass this relatively routine examination, any of the agencies should be willing to work with you. It may also be an issue, however, of the individual instructor, which is not agency-dependent.

Besides the obvious limitations, what are some of the other physical limitations?
Diving is an activity where you get out of it what you put into it. The limitations are largely those that you place on yourself. The environment is what it is. It will challenge you differently as you gain experience. As you continue to lose weight and develop your personal fitness, you will also recognize changes taking place in your diving - reduced consumption of gas, less effort to perform pre- or post- dive activity, and generally speaking you will enjoy the activity more and feel better about yourself. You'll have more fun. But, there is no particular reason (based on what you've stated) to not begin now. If diving motivates you to work harder on your diet, exercise, and fitness regimen, then it is doing positive things for your life from Day 1.

Give it to me straight...lifes too short to be a dreamer without action!
You are to be congratulated for recognizing the challenges and being willing to do something about them. I wish you the best in getting started with diving, and hope that it motivates you to continue making positive changes in your life.

Doc

[By the way, I'm not a medical Doc and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. None of the above pontification should be construed as medical opinion of any value! :) Also...you may want to look into back inflate BCs or even backplate/wings, which offer you two benefits: (1) they won't constrict your chest or sides, thus interfering with your breathing; and (2) the webbing is infinitely adjustable on a bp/wing, so you will have no problems with fit. FWIW. YMMV. ]

Thank Mishelle, I am so excited at the possibility of getting certified. My mind is made up and I'm focused. I will do whatever it is I need to do to get there, unless a medical physician tells me otherwise.

Thank you for the nice compliment

Mishelle:
You may find it hard to get some gear, but do not let your weight stop you from doing what you love! I say kudos to you for putting forth the effort, and to anyone who would slam you....BAH HUMBUG! CONGRATS ON GOING FOR IT!!!

Hi Doc,

Thank you so much for such an informative response to my questions.

I have a scheduled appt with my doc in 2 weeks, this will definitely come up. I want to know my medical limitations regardless. The more I know, the better I can perform. Luckily I am healthy! I have considered a nutritionist and actually just met one at my gym. I will speak with him as well.

I've always said I am a strong swimmer, but I've never really had to haul myself up to a ladder from a boat, not had to fight 3' waves. I can only imagine the endurance you must need. Nothing like the ocean to put you in your place. I'm not into self natural selection :) so I try hard not to make stupid decision regarding my activities and know what my current limitations are. You are right, I absolutely need to build with weights and have started on that as well.

I will take everything you have told me into account - Noted and grateful for your sincere response to my post.

Thanks so much,
Tyme

Doc Intrepid:
You may want to discuss this with your primary care physician. It may be safe for you to be certified now, presuming you have no other contraindicators (diabetes, etc.) Your doctor might be best able to identify a target weight, or put you in touch with a nutritionist who can be more definitive.

So long as all goes well, there may be little variance. If things get snotty, the primary danger is that diving under duress can demand endurance - the ability to swim against a current, to haul oneself and one's gear up a ladder on a boat in 3' waves, etc. Assuming you are completely healthy in all other respects, you will want to work on developing or improving cardiovascular endurance and some weight training to ensure you're able to perform the tasks that may be necessary in a difficult situation.

Most agencies will insist that you have a medical fitness examination signed off by a physician. So long as you pass this relatively routine examination, any of the agencies should be willing to work with you. It may also be an issue, however, of the individual instructor, which is not agency-dependent.

Diving is an activity where you get out of it what you put into it. The limitations are largely those that you place on yourself. The environment is what it is. It will challenge you differently as you gain experience. As you continue to lose weight and develop your personal fitness, you will also recognize changes taking place in your diving - reduced consumption of gas, less effort to perform pre- or post- dive activity, and generally speaking you will enjoy the activity more and feel better about yourself. You'll have more fun. But, there is no particular reason (based on what you've stated) to not begin now. If diving motivates you to work harder on your diet, exercise, and fitness regimen, then it is doing positive things for your life from Day 1.

You are to be congratulated for recognizing the challenges and being willing to do something about them. I wish you the best in getting started with diving, and hope that it motivates you to continue making positive changes in your life.

Doc

[By the way, I'm not a medical Doc and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. None of the above pontification should be construed as medical opinion of any value! :) Also...you may want to look into back inflate BCs or even backplate/wings, which offer you two benefits: (1) they won't constrict your chest or sides, thus interfering with your breathing; and (2) the webbing is infinitely adjustable on a bp/wing, so you will have no problems with fit. FWIW. YMMV. ]

When doing my initial OW training, we used an unheated pool (75 maybe?). Although there wasn't that much physical activity, I burned off 2 lbs. a week just making up for heat loss, and it was a 5 week class. Just another added benefit!

Mishelle:
Ditto THAT!! :thumb:

If your doc gives you a clean bill of health then go for it! As you said, life is too short...you don't want to 50, 60 + and wishing you'd done it.

Hi Frogman,

Just more for me to look forward too. :)

Thanks,
Tyme

frogman_5:
When doing my initial OW training, we used an unheated pool (75 maybe?). Although there wasn't that much physical activity, I burned off 2 lbs. a week just making up for heat loss, and it was a 5 week class. Just another added benefit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom