ok im its killing me(Question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New2ScubaSC

Reaction score
ok ive never tried but is it possible to "pass gas" at deep depths

and the effects of a gassy stomache as far as a problem that could result

sieriously enquire here

thanks erik

I have frequently "manually inflated" my drysuit at 200'. No adverse affects noted.

Say, anyone want to purchase a slightly used drysuit? :wacko:

Not so much at the "at depth" part, but the continued production of internal gas that expands during ascent. Seems to me that could become an issue depending on which internal organ along the gastrointestinal tract is holding the gas at the time.

-Rob

what if you swollowed compressed air in to your stomache at 60 feet what would the effects be if you suface, has there been any known accedents from such, sorry for the lame questions im new

thaks erik

It may not really be an adverse effect, but swallowing to your stomach would yeild the ability to signal your safety (or warning) audibly. It could be varied in decible depending upon the speed and force the gas would be expelled.

Gas in any space, including the GI tract, will expand as you ascend/decompress. For the most part, this is not an issue, because if it was already there at surface, it contracted as you descended, and would be the same volume when you returned to surface. If, however, you swallowed air at 3 ATM, the volume would be increased three fold at surface, and that could cause problems. An actual stomach rupture was described at a course I once took, and I'll try to dig out the reference. Circumstances were unusual--an attempted body recovery in a dangerous cave at roughly 100 FSW, entrapment, OOA, last second rescue, and probably air swallowing at that point. Severe abd pain on ascent with eventual diagnosis of stomach rupture.
It would seem highly unlikely that there would be enough new gas produced during a dive to cause problems before it could be elminated. Gas is produced only in the large intestine, which can accomodate a lot of expansion.
As for the drysuit, Atticus, was there any fish mortality after you vented? Our club's chili cook-off is next month, but we usually eat after diving. Just in case, it's probably good advice to stay upwind of the drysuits when we unzip.

kelpdiver once bubbled...
As for the drysuit, Atticus, was there any fish mortality after you vented? Our club's chili cook-off is next month, but we usually eat after diving. Just in case, it's probably good advice to stay upwind of the drysuits when we unzip.

Hey, Guys,

Use of poison gas to kill fish was supposedly outlawed many years ago!:)

stay down long enough and you can have enough gas generated to become very uncomfortable during ascent.

Just treat it like any reverse squeeze - descend a bit, and give it time to work its way out.

Atticus that was HILARIOUS!!! lol

"I have frequently "manually inflated" my drysuit at 200'. No adverse affects noted.

Say, anyone want to purchase a slightly used drysuit? "

Say, how do you quote all cool like the Bengal Lady?? Bubbles or something...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom