Ok, Let's Play "decipher The Crappy Instructions"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuppaMatt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I've recently passed my Open Water and am off diving abroad. As such I've been getting a few odds and ends. One of which is a quick cheap dive knife.

Now it comes with a small sheet of instructions that for the life in me I can't make out. I'm presuming it's telling me how to assemble the thing so I can attach it to something but for the life in me I'm stumped.

Help an idiot out guys! Please :)

dive knife dive knife

The black and white striped vertical part is an inflator hose. you wrap the ummm "male" shaped parts around the hose and through the "sheath" to mount to hose. The bar with the 2 holes looks like you use it to mount to a webbing strap. The thumbscrews may cover pins you would push through the surface of a pocket, kinda like an old tie tac, for surface mounting on a BC.

Reactions: Jax
Yes it looks similar to my little Wenoka knife that I use on my inflator hose upside down. The two rubber straps go around the inflator low pressure hose, and the little button on the strap fits into the hole to lock in. The other hardware is used for attaching to the BC webbing which I don't use.

I feel so lost so often. I went to buy a knife at sport chalet (10% discount, not enough!) but could not figure out how to mount it/where to mount it. I'm going to more closely scrutinize everyone's gear set up. So if you catch me staring......

Like this ^...(notice it's a blunt tip knife)
zeaglemount.jpg

Are you popping holes through your BC? (not the air portion of course). BTW I think that's the knife i was looking at. It did not seem to come with grommets...I'll look better.
I like blunt. Better to open scallops with! That's my plan anyway. Thanks for the pic, it really helps us new folk. You guys are so much better than the sales people, or the ones I've met. :acclaim:

The flap it's mounted on is sewn to the bladder cover and is 1080 denier ballistic nylon so I probably used a Dremel tool at the time to drill a couple of neat holes. In the image above there's nothing but open space behind the "Zeagle". The flap itself is part of the wing retention strap so not under a lot of stress.

The back of my sheath is similar to the one posted above - these unscrew so I just threaded them through the holes.
Capture.JPG

My knife is a Wenoka Blackie Collins Titanium Squeeze Lock. Hard to see in the photo but both sides of the handle need to be squeezed to release it. It allows me to mount it upside down w/o it falling out. I'm right handed so I put it on the right side so I can get it with either hand as needed.

If you have a wing with a bladder in it I would not poke holes in it because whatever you mount on the inside of the wing for retention could eventually wear a hole in the bladder.

Last edited:
The first thing to realize is that the drawing was scribbled up by some graphic artist who had no mechanical abilities (so maybe take it into Ikea where they can explain?).

The second more important thing to understand is that this is a 3 way "universal" mounting system. There are (at least) 3 different ways of mounting the knife using different combinations of the provided parts. You most likely will not need all of the parts. If you figure out how to use them all, then congratulations!

#1) use the 2 "sea sword" straps & the plain mount to wrap around one of your hoses (that is what the diagram is attempting to convey)
#2) use the bracket and 2 screws (in the top of the picture) & the plain mount to mount the knife to your bcd somewhere (most likely to a pair of holes you just made on the outside of a pocket)
#3) use the plain mount (lower left of the picture) to mount the knife to a web strap somewhere

I used option #3 to mount a similar knife to a bcd strap. Tossed the extra parts.

Back
Top Bottom