ok this is it! mosquito or nemo???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
do you want to optimize for how it looks on your wrist when you're on the surface, or how it works for you when you're at depth?
dude, i already answered lawrence about that... i DO care about how it looks on my wrist!!!!

i know it's stupid, i know it's trivial, i know it's immature, i know the DIR guys are already burning me in effigy, i know it's probably connected to some unconscious freudianesque insecurity, i know it doesn't matter at 80fsw, i know it's not a priority...

SO don't you think i would know a wee bit better than to even mention it on a board like scubaboard if it wasn't important to me? it IS important to me... just like bungee cords are important to some, or paddle as opposed to splits, or air2 vs. octo, or BP/Wings vs. BCDs, or the caribean vs. asia, or cold vs. tropical, or drysuits vs. 7mm wets, or single lens masks vs. double lenses

capice?

sorry if i'm sounding cross but nitpicking whether or not looks are important is not answering my question of w/c computer is better... so far at this point i've gotten what seems like 2 endorsements for the mosquito w/ none for the nemo...

all that being said, would you have an opinion on either computer? don't bother selling me an aeris atmos because that's not sold at my lds... so despite the almost unanimous support it's getting on SB i can't get one...

Jag <--- long day, lacks sleep, horrendous xmas traffic, no dinner ready...

El Orans:
I'm not entering my computer in a beauty contest.

I own a Mosquito and am quite happy with it, even though it's not a watch I'd use in daily life.

Laurens
thanks... (btw before i continue i mispelled your name in another reply... sorry, didn't mean to)

actually, i don't have plans of wearing it everyday... stingers are actually better for that sort of thing...

i really see myself wearing it "all day" out only on dive-related trips or jobs and when i begin to really miss the water... not a legitimate everyday thing...

jag

so far: mosquito 2, nemo 0...

I'm not sure my reply will help much because I've only owned one of the two and I don't care for the nemo's "looks". Personally, I think it's ugly.
That said, I've owned a mosquito for four years and have put it through 500+ dives and have put it through every profile imaginable and it's been unfailingly reliable....until......I changed the battery. I know people seem to LOVE this feature but I am not that keen anymore. I was VERY careful, took great care of the o-ring when changing the battery, changed the battery between dive trips and yet it went berzerk on my last trip. It's been sent back to Suunto, and according to suunto it had a miniscule amount of water leaked in. So, I can not and do not recommend user replaceable batteries unless you can verify your computer is water tight before taking it diving. Other than that, my mosquito has seen me through a lot!

I don't know a single person that owns a nemo so you may have a hard time getting an opinion. I would like to know more about personal opinions regarding the nemo as well though. I'm not a big fan of the looks of it.

All that said, I do own a Citizen Titanium that has been great for diving and is a very handsome watch. I mention this because I noted that you want to wear your small dive computer as a normal watch too. My personal experience is that most people wearing small watch/computers don't end up wearing it as a topside watch because it's still too big or bulky compared to a real watch. Plus, if you are in a hot country, and you are, some watch/computers go into dive mode and kill the battery when you sweat. My Citizen is very sensitive to any kind of moisture. I believe the nemo may allow you to turn off the water activation function.

Another issue with small computer/watches is the band may require replacing if you ever use a thich wet or dry suit. A real pain. Probably not an issue for you in Manila. Hee hee.

Citizen, Mosquito, and all of the ones I have handled are still too darn big for me so I recently went with the Aeris Elite. I handled the nemo and still thought it was too big to wear as a topside watch. Then again, I hate to wear watches so...Just a few observations I have gathered using my Citizen that may help you. Good luck with your decision. I would go with the Mosquito if it were me.

scubadobadoo:
I don't know a single person that owns a nemo so you may have a hard time getting an opinion. I would like to know more about personal opinions regarding the nemo as well though. I'm not a big fan of the looks of it.

All that said, I do own a Citizen Titanium that has been great for diving and is a very handsome watch. I mention this because I noted that you want to wear your small dive computer as a normal watch too. My personal experience is that most people wearing small watch/computers don't end up wearing it as a topside watch because it's still too big or bulky compared to a real watch. Plus, if you are in a hot country, and you are, some watch/computers go into dive mode and kill the battery when you sweat. My Citizen is very sensitive to any kind of moisture. I believe the nemo may allow you to turn off the water activation function.

Another issue with small computer/watches is the band may require replacing if you ever use a thich wet or dry suit. A real pain. Probably not an issue for you in Manila. Hee hee.

Citizen, Mosquito, and all of the ones I have handled are still too darn big for me so I recently went with the Aeris Elite. I handled the nemo and still thought it was too big to wear as a topside watch. Then again, I hate to wear watches so...Just a few observations I have gathered using my Citizen that may help you. Good luck with your decision. I would go with the Mosquito if it were me.
hehehehe thanks!

Jag

I use the mosquito and give it my vote because I know nothing about the nemo, never even heard of it. I also have an Aeris atmos elite,it's my favorite.

skeet:
I use the mosquito and give it my vote because I know nothing about the nemo, never even heard of it. I also have an Aeris atmos elite,it's my favorite.
skeet,

Tell me more about your elite please. I am waiting for mine in the mail from steve at scuba toys. Seems like a good, honest guy and real nice price too! Anyway, have you experienced a loss of reception at all and do you feel safe diving it without a backup? I hate the idea of having to buy a backup for my new and expensive computer. Okay, so don't ask why I bought it then. Basically, is it reliable and intuitive and is it all you hoped it would be? Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread. :wink:

You could not have bought it at better store or price, Your right about Larry also,I have said it before-he is the most knowledgable scuba person I have ever met. Yes I have experienced reception loss one time, no big deal just put my wrist by my shoulder and it came back in 2 seconds. Yes I feel safe when only using one computer when doing less than 70-80 ft dives in my familiar dive spots. I did take my Mosquito with me in a bc pocket when diving at Cozumel this year, did a couple 100ft dives and usually started each day with at 80-90ft dive. I am saving to buy a second Aeris now.

I really like getting rid of all those hoses, I use an intergrated alternate air source also. It is much easier to see than the watch size computers. You made a very good choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom