Okinawa Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeMc

Registered
Reaction score
Plan on doing some diving in Okinawa end of June / early July - anybody got info. for a good dive shop and CHEAP Place to stay ?
Thanks MikeMc

its been ten years since I dove in OKI. I would look into staying at Kadena airforce base. They have a couple places on base you can stay even if you are not military. It's cheap, does'nt require anything beyond US dollars, and they have everything you need on base.

It is also centrally located, and a short trip to lots of dive places.
Second choice would be Sunabi.

Find a dive shop that caters to the millitary rather than the locals, the prices will be allot easier on you.

You can always just go to the Tori Station dive shop, and just ask around, they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks a lot ! I actually found a dive shop there run by ex - US military guy (Richard Ruth) so looks like i'll get around easily enough - would be very interested in staying on base that would be a new experience for me !
Thanks for info. Take care.
MIke

Hey, welcome to another Japan based board member.

I'm hopeing to be on Rich's trip first week of July - only problem is that he has now moved the dates and it now no longer goes over a weekend which is a bit of a pain as I am running out of holiday....

Jonathan

Hi Jonathen,
I was planning to go end of June like 27th. or 28th. depending on ticket dates - still waiting to hear back from agents - you know any cheap ticketing agents ? (Am in Nagoya) haven't heard any news from Fathoms about dates etc. Hope I don't go and end up just snorkelling alone..........
See you there ?
Bye
MIke

Mike,

Have you checked out their web site? www.fathoms.net

They have a trip running to Ishigaki and Yonoguni 1st - 5th July (was originally 4th - 8th). I was hoping to do it as a long weekend but will have to look at my holiday now, also taking a whole week at financial year end may not be allowed...

If you need a buddy for a long weekend then that may work. I use an agent in Tokyo who does my a good deal, only problem is you have to pick up the tickets. I don't know how long you have been here but credit cards are a novelty they really have not worked out here yet. You are probably looking round 30,000 yen ($240) for the flight.....

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,
But I am going with the intention of finally getting my advanced (I hope !) But for future dives this summer in Japan lets keep in touch I want to get a few more chances this summer and time wise can be reasonably flexible. You live in Tokyo ?
Take CAre. Hope you work your diving out.
MIke

Credit cards are more common now than they once were. I think JTB and KNT takes them for both hotels and airfare.

Interesting about non-military choosing military-oriented dive services for financial reasons...do you think they'd let a Japanese national dive with them?

HI Sunfish,
He is ex-military and I didn't choose them because of that ! (Speaks English and doesn't charge like the Japanese shops do) Check them out
http://www.fathoms.net/
Do you know where I can get a cheap flight ticket from Nagoya to Okinawa ? It is easier and cheaper to buy tickets for foreign countries than to travel domestic.
Bye
MIke

Damn - got a visitor to baby sit from the UK so can't make the July trip with Rich. Real shame as another board member is going and also some other people I know - never mind next time.

For the same price as travelling locally (by air) it is often more cost effective to travel to say Guam or Saipan. Look out for special offers for Okinawa - probably the best way.

The cost of diving in Japan is not so much the shops but the fisherman - they control everything that goes on the water and hence under it! Also finding English speaking instructors is quite tricky - I know a couple if you fancy diving Izu.

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom