Okinawa Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jonathan,
Will not see you July then ? Well keep in touch and we'll meet up there before the summers out. Enjoy the babysitting.

I used to live in Fusa city.

I dont recognize that guys name, but if you go to Tori station there is an old Army SF Sgt Major named Mike (?) in the area.

Larry's dive shop in Kin CHo is another place to look, two instructors who used to be there are Steve Elliott and Chuck Desesari.

Places to hit. Sunabi sea wall (especially as a night dive). the Toilet bowl. Maeda point.

The diving is second best i have seen, only placed I liked better was micronesia.

Thanks Martini Time,
Am going 27th. June will check out the guys you know.
Take Care !
Mike

Hi. I live (and dive) on Okinawa.

I recommend Rich Ruth at Fathoms for at least one dives. He goes to the Keramas most every weekend, and if you are coming to Okinawa, you gotta go.

I don't know if you have looked into staying on Kadena, but I don't think non-military can. I've had problems trying to make reservations for non-Air Force, and since 11 Sep, you can't even get on base without a military ID or sponsor. But there is a place called the Cat's Inn (or Cat's Eye Inn). I think their rates are about 5000 Yen per night. If you e-mail Fathoms, I think Rich may be able to give you some info

As far as local dives, there are a ton of spots. If you don't have dive buddy, Kadena Marina does guided dives every Sat morning. They are AF, but the Marina is off base, so you can get access. I'm sure they'd take you along military or not. You can also check out a WEB site called H2Okinawa. They have a dive buddy data base.

SunFish, I'm pretty sure anyone can dive with Rich. If you are ever on Oki, I recommend him. He is X-military who took up permanent residence here. His shop is off base and not connected in any way to the military. A lot of us dive with him 'cause we like his boat dives.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks, Allison! The info about the nearby hotel is especially helpful. As I am sure you know, run of the mill Japanese hotels can get pretty pricy.

Jonathan,

Did you say you could not make the Fathoms trip? I just got e-mail from Rich today, and I don't know if this makes a difference, but the dates are still 4-8 July, not 1-5 as on the WEB page.

Not sure if I can make it or not. I'm waiting to hear about a work trip to DC the end of Jun. Don't think I can do both.

What with my visitor from the UK and more importantly the flight times would mean having to take 5 days holiday which I can't afford (time wise) I've had to blow out this one.

It's a shame as there was not only the possibilty of meeting up with another board member (maybe!) but also Simon and Anita from PSD Guam may be going as well.

Another time maybe. My instructor in Tokyo is talking about going down maybe later in July and possibly September. I am here for at least another year so there is still opportunity.

If you look on the cc list you now have my work email!! I take it you are number 1 on the list?!

Jonathan

H'mmmm looks like "Southern Breezes" just changed it's name with a Typhoon heading your way - I hope it misses you and you have a good trip, kind of glad I'm not booked on though......

Jonathan

Actually, I ended up with a last minute TAD back to DC last week. Didn't feel like I could do both back to back. So, I guess I should say lukily, I couldn't make the trip.

Hey guys,

If you need more info you can search the web for" Japan Update,Fathoms" see what you come up w/.

Japan Update is the local paper in english.

Back
Top Bottom