Old eyes Prescription mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had good luck with this company http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/ My mask has both far prescription and bifocal for close up work. They can put the bifocal almost anywhere you want it. I had mine moved up more than normal which I find better for camera work. You can send them your mask or buy one of theirs and have your exact prescription put in it. I would suggest you find a mask and try it on before buying one. There are a lot of mask that will not fit my face and you may have the same problem. Getting my own mask at the LSD (or ordering a new one just like the one you have off line) and shipping it to these guy was the the best solution I found. I got a mask that fit and the lenses right the first time.

The Kraken:
By all means go with the bi-focal.

I can't recommend SeaVision masks highly enough !!!!

I have two, one with clear lenses and another with the color correcting lenses.
Their post-sales customer service and support in unequaled.

The masks are available through on-line discount scuba suppliers, LDS's and directly from SeaVision themselves.

I think their web site is SeaVisionUSA. Not sure. Just do a search on "SeaVision" and you'll find them.

Safe dives . . .
. . . safer ascents !!!
www.seavisionusa.com

The Kraken:
:eek:ldman:
Stingy old fart . . . .

Hey, I'm not old! :D

parrotheaddiver:
Now does anyone have a style preference. I am a female with a narrow face but I don't want a kids mask. The masks all seem to have wide skirts so I don't think leakage will be a problem. I hope. Thanks again now off to get the old eyes a new prescription.

To be honest, you really have to try masks on, esp since they introduced a few more low profile models last year.

Also, you may want to consider the black skirt instead of clear.

We also have had great luck with the Seavision masks. One warning about the bi-focal.. it won't work right out of the water. Trying to look at your gauges on land, you'll be worried they screwed up your mask... but they are corrected for underwater. I had someone order a bifocal mask from us, and when they got it they called and said it was goofed up - not the right prescription. I explained that they needed to try it in the water - it would be fine... they didn't believe me, and were leaving on a trip the next day, so while I was on the phone, they filled up the tub and stuck their face in it... came back on the phone and said "Sure enough.. right on the money!"

So yes, they do very good work, but a bifocal mask will run you $199 - but to see... probably worth it.

scubatoys:
We also have had great luck with the Seavision masks. One warning about the bi-focal.. it won't work right out of the water. Trying to look at your gauges on land, you'll be worried they screwed up your mask... but they are corrected for underwater. I had someone order a bifocal mask from us, and when they got it they called and said it was goofed up - not the right prescription. I explained that they needed to try it in the water - it would be fine... they didn't believe me, and were leaving on a trip the next day, so while I was on the phone, they filled up the tub and stuck their face in it... came back on the phone and said "Sure enough.. right on the money!"

So yes, they do very good work, but a bifocal mask will run you $199 - but to see... probably worth it.

So do I need to let the doc know that the prescription is for a mask? Or is the adjustment made when they make the lenses for the masks. Larry I know you guys are located in the Dallas area. I would like to try on the mask (Seavision)before purchase is there anywhere in the Austin San Antonio area that carries the masks so I can a least look at them.

parrotheaddiver:
So do I need to let the doc know that the prescription is for a mask? Or is the adjustment made when they make the lenses for the masks. Larry I know you guys are located in the Dallas area. I would like to try on the mask (Seavision)before purchase is there anywhere in the Austin San Antonio area that carries the masks so I can a least look at them.

No, you just get your prescription, then seavision will take care of making sure it works underwater.

As far as trying them on there... I'm not sure who is a dealer in that area... but if you are going to go try them on there... I'd like to suggest that you talk to them about getting the prescription done for you as well. Most any shop can be comprable to our price if they want to, and if they are providing service in letting you come try them - they really probably deserve the sale.

If you can't find someone you can work with... worst case is for about 5 bucks, I could ship you some masks, one of each of their styles, then you can choose which feels the best and send them back... but that's kind of a hassle for you. Won't bother us... we ship 100 packages a day or more... so one more going to you won't affect us.

Let me know what you think!

I've got a meeting this morning, but will be in about noon on...

scubatoys:
No, you just get your prescription, then seavision will take care of making sure it works underwater.

As far as trying them on there... I'm not sure who is a dealer in that area... but if you are going to go try them on there... I'd like to suggest that you talk to them about getting the prescription done for you as well. Most any shop can be comprable to our price if they want to, and if they are providing service in letting you come try them - they really probably deserve the sale.

If you can't find someone you can work with... worst case is for about 5 bucks, I could ship you some masks, one of each of their styles, then you can choose which feels the best and send them back... but that's kind of a hassle for you. Won't bother us... we ship 100 packages a day or more... so one more going to you won't affect us.

Let me know what you think!

I've got a meeting this morning, but will be in about noon on...

Larry how sweet of you...we may be coming up to your area the first of Feb. we will stop by at that time and of course give you the business :eyebrow: . Oh not that way of course lol :D I will pm you if I have any specific questions.
thanks
Ann

scubatoys:
We also have had great luck with the Seavision masks. One warning about the bi-focal.. it won't work right out of the water.

Great point, Larry!

Most people automatically assume that the optics are the same UNDER water as they are ABOVE; but as we all know from our basic open water classes, it's not. (That's why I'm skeptical of glueing lenses from eyeglasses to the inside of a mask.)

However, as you said, SV will adjust a person's perscription for use underwater. And in the end, that's what REALLY counts, right?

The reason the perscription will not work out of the water (if the lens maker knows what he is doing) is they actually decrease the strenght of the perscription to account for the magnifying effect of the water. When I had mine done, I requested they not correct this. That way, my mask works fine above water and the extra maginfication helps with reading that blasted tiny information on my camera.. It also extends the life of the lens as I know my eyes will get worse over time.

Back
Top Bottom