Old eyes Prescription mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman:
The reason the perscription will not work out of the water (if the lens maker knows what he is doing) is they actually decrease the strenght of the perscription to account for the magnifying effect of the water. When I had mine done, I requested they not correct this. That way, my mask works fine above water and the extra maginfication helps with reading that blasted tiny information on my camera.. It also extends the life of the lens as I know my eyes will get worse over time.

Well, only sortof... but not really. See the main prescription on a mask will be with the curve on the inside of the glass. Then the lens is flat against the water, so yes there is a magnifying effect, but this will not affect focus. The bifocal is actually cut on the outside of the mask, so that means we have a curve in the material which touches the water, and then that changes the optical characteristics, so it's really only the bifocal that will be affected... not the standard lens.

Hope that makes sense... I just read what I wrote, and I'm not sure I get it... :cwmddd:

I use an RX mask. :01zz:

You may want to try different strengths. I tried out a few at an LDS in Hawaii before buying. I was surprised how clear everything become with a single strength.

I knew you were going blind when you keep ending up on the wrong reef. lol. mary has a seavision mask and it has worked great. go get your prescription, take it to the mask man, he will find you a mask, mark a dot where the center fo you eye is and with the magic of money you will not be blind anymore. check it when you get it back for leaks as i had to put the silicone to mary,s mask. nothin better than a leaky mask.
by by your bro.

texas-buzzard:
I knew you were going blind when you keep ending up on the wrong reef. lol. mary has a seavision mask and it has worked great. go get your prescription, take it to the mask man, he will find you a mask, mark a dot where the center fo you eye is and with the magic of money you will not be blind anymore. check it when you get it back for leaks as i had to put the silicone to mary,s mask. nothin better than a leaky mask.
by by your bro.

Yeah we are going up to Big 'D' for meet and eat at Joes crab shack with other folks from this board next weekend I plan on going to Scubatoys while I'm there.

I do need some advise from you on another matter, what do I need to buy in order to put my pics from my digital camera onto a cd/dvd? I will call you about that.

your Sis

herman:
I have had good luck with this company http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/ My mask has both far prescription and bifocal for close up work. They can put the bifocal almost anywhere you want it. I had mine moved up more than normal which I find better for camera work. You can send them your mask or buy one of theirs and have your exact prescription put in it. I would suggest you find a mask and try it on before buying one. There are a lot of mask that will not fit my face and you may have the same problem. Getting my own mask at the LSD (or ordering a new one just like the one you have off line) and shipping it to these guy was the the best solution I found. I got a mask that fit and the lenses right the first time.

Hey Herman, I just got off the phone with Linda at prescription dive masks and she told me about a new (and as yet unadvertised) item they are making. It's called the "executive reader". It's a mask to suit photographers. It is as big an area of your mask as you want in a "reading" plus diopter. You mark where you want the upper boundary is to be. My "guage readers" have always been to small to comfortably manipulate my camera controls. This will be perfect! I'm sending my mask right away. The best part.....it will only cost 99.00 for two lenses, not the more expensive prices found in their info page.
I'll let you know what they're like when I get them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom