Old Scubapro reg - what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A friend of mine gave me this old Scubapro reg set.
He bought it used from a dive shop in 1970 and seems to think it's from the mid to late 60's.
It has two LP ports and one HP port. As you can see the metal is badly corroded and all the rubber parts are shot.
Does anybody have any idea of what model this is, and secondly if it's worth restoring.
If parts are available through some source I may consider tearing it down and having all the metal re-chromed and give it a rebuild and start diving it.

Attachments

• 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 84
It looks like a Mk3 with a High Performance 2nd (AKA HP/080/108). If the corrosion has not gone too far, there is no reason they should not be restorable.

What about things like the purge button rubber or the exhaust deflector, are they obtainable do you think?

Yes, all parts are available. Mk3 uses the same HP seat as a Mk2. Piston o-ring is smaller, probably an 019 based on the SP P/n of -167. The HP is an R190 with fewer o-rings. Rubber cover and exhaust-t still available. Std exhaust valve and diaphragm same as other SP metals. Newer HPs have an adjustable (replacable) orifice but the old ones were fixed so that is probably the Achilles heal.

Be aware that the yoke on the MK3 is not designed for "high pressure" tanks. It's only rated for something like 2200 psi. Compare the thickness of the material to that of a modern reg. If you are using an AL80 tank you might want to consider a short fill.

Be aware that the yoke on the MK3 is not designed for "high pressure" tanks. It's only rated for something like 2200 psi. Compare the thickness of the material to that of a modern reg. If you are using an AL80 tank you might want to consider a short fill.

I'd be using this on one of my 2250 psi 72's.

ZKY,

Yes, this is a Scubapro Mark III regulator. Here's what was said about it in their 1976 catalog:
[MARK III REGULATOR

LOW COST RELIABILITY -- A slightly smaller version of the dependable Mark II Regulator. THe same benefits, on a reduced scale, make the Mark III a regulator that can be trusted and enjoyed for many psort diving endeavors.

Cat. No. 03 Mark III Regulator

This is an unbalanced piston regulator, with a fixed orifice second stage. It will perform fairly well, but not really great. It is very robust, and what I'd do is simply clean it up and get it functioning, then dive it and see whether I wanted to invest much more into it.

SeaRat

The thing I think is cool about it is the metal 2nd stage and the small size and simplicity of the 1st stage. Plus I guess it's considered vintage as far as single hose regs go.
I don't know if getting this thing operational is going to be any easy task, it's pretty rough, but I'll clean it up and see what happens.

The guy I got it from beat the living crap out of it for years and never serviced it. It's seen 200 feet in FL shooting big groupers and all kinds of diving in California. It's never had a pressure guage on it (at least the whole time he's owned it). He used it on a 72 with a plastic pack and never used a bc.
I was over at his house this morning getting some dungeness crabs he gave me (dungees are great this year!!!) when I saw that old reg hanging in his garage. I asked him what type of old SP reg that was and he replied "I don't know what model I just used it. Take it if you want it, I'll never use it again".
So I brought it home.

Here's a link to the reg you have on the ScubaPro Museum site: First
I own one of these, but I have the later model with the 3000 psi yoke. In fact, if you page down a little bit in this forum, you will see where I was offering it for trade last month. I decided to keep it and use it for a pony bottle reg. For an older design reg, it breathes pretty good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom