older diver needs easy diving recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of good advice and comments.

Here is where I think I have come out. After checking - again - flights to and from various locations, only GC and Coz are truly convenient among places I might want to try. Would like to try someplace new. St Thomas, Saint Maarten and Aruba are only others with reasonable flights. Oh, and as nice as Saba sounds, my wife will not want to bother so scratch that as one reason to go to Saint Maarten.

Of those, and once again, my needs for not rough water, dives to around 70' max, no walls. Recommendations out of the above list? which/where. We will be going in February 2015.

Steve_C; got you beat age-wise. Crossed the line of the 'next big one' two years ago. But I am strong and healthy. Just not as strong and as healthy as I used to be, so hence the conditions.

We've considered a second dive vacay in the Keys, but it would have to be in the hurricane season. Not worth the uncertainty.

I've never understood this, so please explain. You say you are older and like easy diving, and also that you are old and crabby and want things your way. I too fit that description, but most of the folks I know like that are retired. Are you retired? If so, who cares what time of year you go. It isn't like you won't get a full refund check for a hurricane, or an insurance check. We don't want you here if a hurricane is coming, but if not, we'd love to have you, and if we get a hurricane during the week you are scheduled, reschedule it for the following week or the week after that when we are back up and running....

I don't understand the OP's reluctance to go to Bonaire. It looks like he can fly on DL from Wilmington to ATL to BON, all in one easy day, arriving in time to dive that same afternoon off the dock of the place he is staying. And can get home in time for dinner the next Saturday.

Maybe he is too grumpy to actually look for flights.....hey, I'm 72, so I can say that.

Having trouble understanding the travel issue to Bon as well. The diving in Bon is just what you are looking for. I checked around on orbitz and don't see any direct flights out of Wilmington to GC. I see one stop flights, same as Bon and just about the same travel time. Maybe I am missing something. Can you fly nonstop to GC from Wilmington? It is worth taking a second look. I have been to Bon and GC and many other places and I know what it is like to get the feeling to try someplace new. It would be a shame to "settle" for GC, a place you have been to, instead of trying Bon, a place you might enjoy if flights to both require one stop. Good Luck and hope it all works out.

I've never understood this, so please explain. You say you are older and like easy diving, and also that you are old and crabby and want things your way. I too fit that description, but most of the folks I know like that are retired. Are you retired? If so, who cares what time of year you go. It isn't like you won't get a full refund check for a hurricane, or an insurance check. We don't want you here if a hurricane is coming, but if not, we'd love to have you, and if we get a hurricane during the week you are scheduled, reschedule it for the following week or the week after that when we are back up and running....

Glad to explain. I am a sort-of retired artist so my schedule is what I make it. My wife however, still
works in the field of medicine, and due to the nature of her work, needs to set up vacations months in advance. A vacation cancelled due to weather means no vacation at all. Once I can convince her to retire, we will probably spend some time in the Keys every year.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 08:43 AM ----------

Having trouble understanding the travel issue to Bon as well. The diving in Bon is just what you are looking for. I checked around on orbitz and don't see any direct flights out of Wilmington to GC. I see one stop flights, same as Bon and just about the same travel time. Maybe I am missing something. Can you fly nonstop to GC from Wilmington? It is worth taking a second look. I have been to Bon and GC and many other places and I know what it is like to get the feeling to try someplace new. It would be a shame to "settle" for GC, a place you have been to, instead of trying Bon, a place you might enjoy if flights to both require one stop. Good Luck and hope it all works out.

Unfortunately, Bonaire is a real PITA to get to from here. Wilmington to Charlotte, Charlotte to Miami (ugh), Miami to Curacao, Curacao to Bonaire.

GC is easy-peasy; one stop in Charlotte which is a nice airport and on to GC.

So I'm hoping I can get some info on St Maarten, St Thomas and Aruba. I know they are not on the A list but they seem to be the only alternatives. St Maarten interests me the most. French or Dutch side? How rough is the water, depths, etc. Appreciate the help.

I think the Hurricane season applies to all the Caribbean, especially the Caymans. I grew up diving the Keys and it is a fantastic area to dive in the summer. I just remember oil calm days and beautiful reefs. Wish I were still there. Never got to Cay Sal(sp?) or Tortuga. I will dive these before life's end. Cheers

Unfortunately, Bonaire is a real PITA to get to from here. Wilmington to Charlotte, Charlotte to Miami (ugh), Miami to Curacao, Curacao to Bonaire.
hey duke, there are way better flights to bonaire (as has been pointed out by several posters...). Your example is a worst case routing and no one actually does that if they have an alternative. do you have an aversion to specific airlines?

or are you really looking for "easy dive travel" and do not really care about "easy diving"?

Agreed that your flight options are greater to GC than Bon. You can go any day of the week to GC and get good flights. To Bon, if you want direct or one stop you are generally limited to the weekend. Here is an example below that is one stop each way to Bon and does not go through Miami:

Depart 7:10 AM
Wilmington, NC , United States
New Hanover County (ILM)

Stop 1
8:41 AM

Atlanta, GA , United States
Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL) Terminal S

Change of planes. Time between flights: 1hr 4min

DL-1.gif

Delta Air Lines 1397
Economy Airbus A319
On-time: 70%
377 mi 1hr 31min

Seat map

Depart
9:45 AM

Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL) Terminal I

Arrive
2:55 PM

Bonaire City , BES Islands
Flamingo International (BON)

DL-1.gif

Delta Air Lines 663
Economy Boeing 757
1,801 mi 0hr 10min

Seat map

[h=4]Return Sat, Feb 14 Total time: 11hr 42min[/h]Depart
4:00 PM

Bonaire City , BES Islands
Flamingo International (BON)

Stop 1
7:23 PM

Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL) Terminal I

Change of planes. Time between flights: 1hr 52min

DL-1.gif

Delta Air Lines 662
Economy Boeing 757
1,801 mi 8hr 23min

Seat map

Depart
9:15 PM

Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL) Terminal S

Arrive
10:42 PM

Wilmington, NC , United States
New Hanover County (ILM)

Flight 5022 Operated by EXPRESSJET DBA DELTA CONNECTION

DL-1.gif

Delta Air Lines 5022
Economy CRJ
On-time: 70%
377 mi 1hr 27min

Seat map

The connection time in ATL on the way to BON would be a concern for me. I know others who take this flight from ATL come in the night before, have a nice dinner, good night sleep and leave fresh in the AM with less worry about the luggage. On the price differential between costs to fly to GC and Bon, don't worry about that as you will more than make up for that by the lower costs in Bon for accommodations, food and especially the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom