Older Divers - Perceptions of the Youthful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually just walk onto the boat and say hey Rick to the only person older than me on the boat. Then we sit around and shuck some oysters and chew the fat. Since Rick and me are the first in the water and the last out the younger divers don't see us long enough to form an opinion.

NetDoc:
I have yet to lose my Edge, Walter! Do you still have yours? :D

I have two, but they don't do nitrox (yet another example of me adapting). No computer today has a display that can compare. If a company would come up with a nitrox computer with the display of the edge, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I always wonder how many dives they have done or where in the world they have gone diving before

Courtneyf82:
or where in the world they have gone diving before
Actually, we have learned to "go" IN the water. :D

I have two Edges - an instructor model and a regular model. I also have a Bend a matic. My friend has a DecoBrain but she won't sell it to me.

Two categories:
1. Some people you look at and automatically know they have been doing this for many, many years and they deserve your respect. Two gent come to mind. I have the pleasure of diving with Uncle Pug. Now here is a diver who has seen more salt than the Morton Salt company. Acute in his thinking and skills he is at the top of his game. Gratefuldiver is another one. We all know Bob and what he has to offer as an instructor. Now neither is hardly ancient, but they know how to dive backwards and forwards.

2. The ones that are so set their ways that they are dismissive of anything new that comes along to help make a diver have a better, safer, more enjoyable time of diving. They have been to the seven oceans, wrestled Moby Dick and some panty waist in a BPW isn't worth their time of day.

I remember the days when we didn't use spgs, no octos, no BC's, and we had K-valves for reserves. Thanks but no thanks, I'll go with the gear I use now. Thank you very much. :D

Age normally means experience, after all we are still alive and must have done something right. As for me, I live to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom