Oman dive recommendations for late November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mixed emotions about Al Boom too, it's unfair to totally come down on them because they do have employees that work particularly hard. But ultimately cash rules over everything there, McDonalds diving.

Very true, I use the Al Quoz for all my fills, tank inspections and servicing, although most of these guys were employed by Scuba Dubai when Al Boom bought them over, pity all the staff at Atlantis left.

For Musandam, I use Nomad mainly, can't fault them at all but have used Sheesa Beach in the past and happy to recommend them too. Note that for the Dibba side of Musandam, permits need to be made around 4 days in advance. Your dive centre can do this for you but it can be a ball ache on the day if the border guards decide not to play ball.

Have you ever stayed at Nomad's accommodation?

I would probably look at getting there the night before and stay at the Golden Tulip or at Nomad.

Yes, stayed at Nomad a few times. It's hostel type, basic accommodation but it's clean and you get your own room. The evening buffet is good and they don't mind if you're sneaked through a few hops based beverages in your reg bag. IMO, it's only really worth doing if you're diving both days though. I've got a friend that likes to drive up the night before a dive but I'd rather get up and drive on the truck road when it's empty early morning. I've done it a few times in darkness and an experience I can very easily live without.

I used to stay at Scuba2000 a lot last year until the owner banned me :D

Yea night driving here can be dodgy with stray camels and goats

Just a follow up posting.

I only managed one day of diving as I was in Oman with a non-diver and opted for Extra Divers out of the Shangri La Hotel in Muscat on 2 Dec (Tuesday).

First dive was to Mermaid Cove. Viz was variable from very clear to small patches of pea soup, but the area was teeming with life. A lot of fish.
Second dive was to Jissa Island. Similar dive to Mermaid Cove but slightly less fish around, but still lots to see.
Surface was quite choppy on unsheltered areas but we started these dives in coves and the surface was very calm making for quite easy climbs back into the boat.

Extra Divers - as always- is a well run operation. Only 4 divers plus DM on our boat. My insta-buddy was a really nice guy on the surface but was overly involved with camera work and didn't seem to be aware that I was his spare air or vice versa. 45' depth isn't much but it's too deep to think that you don't need a buddy. This wasn't the dive ops fault. I was torn between sticking with the DM or staying with Mr. Distracted. I did the right thing and hung back with my buddy. He was also one of those photographers who thinks that his possession of a camera entitles him to hog everything worth seeing without any regard for the other divers with him, but that seems to be a universal problem. Oh well. Another vote for dive with people you know where you have more time to establish rules.

I must say that the diving was surprisingly good. These dives are similar to what you would expect in the Florida Keys, yet there is hardly any dive industry. We were the only divers on both sites. It seems that Muscat is that rare thing in diving today- a hidden gem.

I guess that for European and US divers if you are going to the trouble of traveling that far east, you will often want to go to the Red Sea or the Maldives. Diving in Oman (Muscat or Mussendam) will not be at that level, but it is still pretty damned good. When you factor in Muscat as a great destination for the tourist who wants to see the real middle east rather than Vegas Without Gambling (Dubai), I still don't understand why Muscat doesn't get more press as a diving location. Oh well- everyone else's loss and our gain. :D

Back
Top Bottom