OMG! 403 lb Warsaw Speared in Gulf of Mexico!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I read this story, all I could think about was being on the boat and without warning seeing that fish go polaris after it's ascent from 425'.

Unbelievable! Pardon me while I pop my eyes back in....

WOW! How can you possibly kill a fish like that with a spear? I have to wonder if they used a bang stick, but in any case, that is incredible, and makes me want to get out there in some deeper water.

The fish was shot with a 60" freeshaft powered by a single band. He put a second shaft into the fish and it was about finished. He ph'd it just in case but it was not necessary, it only ensured his safety being at 425'. That is the fish of a lifetime taken by someone who has paid his dues in the sport and after much planning and forethought.

Truly a fish of a lifetime.
403warsaw.jpg

I thought it was pretty cool that Louis Rossignol posted on his thread and invited him to do a Helldivers jaunt out to the oil rigs on our side of the Gulf.

Too bad they didn't get it on video. It'd have been cool to see it on offshore hunter.

Team Headhunter consists of serious spearfishermen. Notice the other fish that they shot that day, inlcuding the 100# reef donkey. I don't think I'd have even shot at that one. Talk about a trip in a lifetime (although, this was the second time they've gone to this spot, if I'm not mistaken - vis was crap last time).

You know, I've never heard of this fish being called a 'warsaw'. This is a goliath fish/jewfish right? Grouper family?

Back
Top Bottom