OML/Terreana Resort Hearing 07 OCT 08 SAND on Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Old Marineland, Terranea Resort: City of PV will hold hearing on request to put SAND on the cobble beach above mean high tide line. We all know rain will wash this sand right into the ocean as will extreme high tide and destroy visibility. If encourage you to attend the meeting and make your voice heard.

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the City Council of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes will conduct a public hearing on Tuesday, October 7, 2008, at 7:00 PM at Hesse Park Community Building, 29301 Hawthorne Boulevard, Rancho Palos Verdes, to consider:

TERRANEA RESORT AND SPA: ZON2008-00322 (REVISION ‘I’ TO COASTAL PERMIT NO. 166, CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT NO. 215, GRADING PERMIT NO. 2229, VARIANCE NO. 489, AND TENTATIVE PARCEL MAP NO. 26073): A request to amend the Council adopted Conditions of Approval to allow improvements to the lower beach area. The proposed improvements consist of importing sand to the area landward of the extreme-high tide line, installing security fencing adjacent to the toe of the bluff edge, constructing a vegetated drainage channel with native plantings to divert storm water, and constructing a pedestrian bridge over the proposed drainage channel. The proposed improvements will not adversely impact biological or marine resources.

The sand is the least of our worries. The proposed drainage ditch leads right to the easiest entry point. The cove will be permantly milky. I'll be there.

Any word on what happened at the meeting? Marineland has been my bread and butter for awhile now and I would hate to lose the site due to some sand and a drainage ditch. I wanted to be there for the meeting but work kept me away. Any info on what went down?

I attended last nights meeting. I was there not to oppose it, but to ensure questions were answered and if necessary oppose it. There were 7 people signed up to address the council, myself, a Representative of the Palo's Verde Divers Club, Mr. Lowe himself and 4 of his employees who would speak only if the board had questions. Since Mr. Lowe had phoned all of the board members at home to ensure they did not have any questions they did not speak.

I have always felt the Lowe Company is seeking to present a quality product, be environmentally friendly and to address the concerns of the public. He continues to do so. Here is what they are gong to do, with unanimous approval of the city council, and of course assuming the California Coastal Commission (which one city councilman is on) approves:

Remove the existing topsoil from the site, remove the asphalt that is under it, replace the topsoil and then cover that with 1500 cubic yards of sand. The sand will start 8 feet above the extreme high tide line with a line of vegetation between the water and the sand. There is the possibility of the 100 year storm causing storm surge or exceptionally heavy rains causing the sand to wash away. They feel the storm surge would dissipate the sand far out to sea.

They are also going to construct a environmental swale to direct the outfall of a pipe that currently flows in a sheet over the entire area carrying sediment into the ocean. This swale (ak ditch with gently sloping sides) will be rock and native plants to filter the runoff and will carry the outfall of the pipe directly to the ocean. This outfall is 90% generated off site in the surrounding streets and neighborhoods so Lowe's is not responsible for treating it. The swale will do some filtration, which I suppose is better than what we have now. There will be a bridge over it running on the trail that runs from the snack bar to the sand area. They will also install a cable fence along the bluffs to keep people from climbing on them and vegetation around the site to hide the fence.

When they open (June 2009 they hope) there will be an access for us to get to Long Point off the overlook they are constructing there. Should be nice, enter at the rocks, do the dive exit at the cobble beach, shower off (hot water showers are being discussed) and stop for a drink on the way back up the hill. Now we just have to remember to bring money on the dive.

Thanks Pasley for the response. I like the idea that they are going to put a line of vegetation between the water and the sand "helping to prevent any sand from washing into the cove". But this ditch has got me somewhat concerned. Where is this " pipe that currently flows in a sheet over the entire area carrying sediment into the ocean"? I don't remember seeing any run off pipe like White Point has "coming out the side of the cliff". I guess I haven't really inspected the cliff side too much when I'm down there. As long as all their plans aren't going to hurt the Marine environment, I'm happy. But I wonder what the placement of this drainage ditch will do to the level of pollution in the water and its visibility.

.... Where is this " pipe that currently flows in a sheet over the entire area carrying sediment into the ocean"? ...

The pipe is located just before you get to the bottom of the trail. There plan is to use a vegetation and rock lined shallow ditch to do a bit of natural filtration on the water.

The end result trail will be shorter than it is now, and longer than it was before, but more gentle slope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom