9 hole Golf Course at Old Marineland Notice of Public Hearing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The folks a Terrenea Resort have proposed a 9 hole golf course to replace the 3 hole practice course at Old Marineland. Now I love to play golf, but, well, the polution and run off of fertilizers would be a challenge to contain. If you would like to voice your position on this, or just hear what is going on, you should plan to attend the meeting.

LONG POINT RESORT HOTEL (TERRANEA): ZON2006-00036 (REVISION ‘D’ TO COASTAL PERMIT NO. 166, CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT NO. 215, GRADING PERMIT NO. 2229, VARIANCE NO. 489, AND TENTATIVE PARCEL MAP NO. 26073) The City Council will conduct a public hearing on Tuesday, March 21, 2006, at 7:00 PM at Hesse Park Community Building, 29301 Hawthorne Boulevard, Rancho Palos Verdes, to consider a request by the applicant to amend the approved project to allow for a 9-hole short game golf academy in place of the approved 3-hole practice facility and driving range. Additionally, the applicant is requesting that the City Council review minor revisions to the project site plan for a determination of substantial compliance with the original site plan approved by the City Council in 2002. The proposed revisions include minor modifications to the footprint of the hotel building (reduced surface area), the reconfiguration of the villas, the reconfiguration of the surface parking area, and the removal of the tennis courts..
The project plans can be viewed at the Planning Department at City Hall or on the City’s Website. To view the project plans on the City’s website, click here

For more information, please contact Ara Mihranian, Senior Planner, at 310-544-5228 or via email at aram@rpv.com.

Thank you, Mel, for continuing to keep a close eye on this.

I recall that the original plan included a larger course, which was reduced to a 3-hole practice course before getting approval.

Now the 9-hole project reappears??? Hey!!!

The reefs all around the Old Marineland peninsula are absolutely gorgeous, and I'd hate to see them mucked up by the same fertilizer swill that pours down into Malaga Cove from the large golf course and storm drains above. THAT is disgusting.

I'm hoping strongly that the upcoming California ReefCheck program will begin immediate monitoring of the reefs that will experience the greatest run-off from the Terranea development. This place is a treasure worth protecting.

I'll be there. Thanks.
Claudette

I agree. The runoff will cause major muck in the water. I wish I didn't live so far away I would definately be there. For everyone that lives in the area, and can make this, please go and voice the opinion of the dive world. Old Marineland is one of the best sites in SoCal. We need to protect it.

I am sure Reef Check is aware of the improvements at Old Marineland. I, along with a few other SB members are taking classes in April with them. I personnally will bring up the subject. They monitor the reef systems for changes, so, this would be a hotspot to keep an eye on.

Rickster:
... I, along with a few other SB members are taking classes in April with them. I personnally will bring up the subject. They monitor the reef systems for changes, so, this would be a hotspot to keep an eye on.
Rickster!! YOU'RE in the class, too??? Are you in the Santa Barbara group? I'll be in the L.A. group. I think we will all do the boat trip together. HOW Cool is this???

So ReefCheck California will hear about this from at least two students. Excellent!

Anyone who cannot attend the March 21 meeting, please send your comments in emails to the persons identified in Mel's original post on this thread.

Every voice counts.

Only divers truly know what's "down there", and how destructive urban run-off can be.

Claudette

I will try to make it to the meeting unless the new baby arrives a few days early. :shocked:

Another concern is how long will they close off the site to divers (from what date to what date). Also, when they are ready to let divers back in, where will we be allowed to park and enter the beach.

HBDiveGirl:
Rickster!! YOU'RE in the class, too??? Are you in the Santa Barbara group? I'll be in the L.A. group. I think we will all do the boat trip together. HOW Cool is this???

So ReefCheck California will hear about this from at least two students. Excellent!

Anyone who cannot attend the March 21 meeting, please send your comments in emails to the persons identified in Mel's original post on this thread.

Every voice counts.

Only divers truly know what's "down there", and how destructive urban run-off can be.

Claudette

Claudette I'm in the LA group with you, ood to see that Scubaboard will be in force on the boat :D

LLKZ16:
I will try to make it to the meeting unless the new baby arrives a few days early. :shocked:

Another concern is how long will they close off the site to divers (from what date to what date). Also, when they are ready to let divers back in, where will we be allowed to park and enter the beach.
Congrats on the inpending birth.

According to both Lows Resorts and the California Costal Commission - they will NOT close off the site during construction. They are not allowed to clsoe off the site. Now the California Costal Commission and Lows Resorts do admit that during construction of the road down to the cobble stone beach, they will of course have to clsoe the access for a short time.

As for after, the Costal Commisison and Palos Verde City both require public access and parking at least 65 spaces for the public. The resort is also required to offer inducements for day use of the facilities by non-occupants of the hotel. Due to the regrading of the road down to meet Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards of 1 foot drop in 12 feet of run, the parking will be further away than we enjoy now, but the slope will be gentler and there will be public bathrooms, showers and snakbars to get a bite to eat after the dive!

To see the site plan go to: http://www.palosverdes.com/rpv/planning/terranea/Terranea-Site-Plan.pdf

The SANDEATERS website Dive Site Descritipons has an artist sketch of the site as well. I will add the above plans when I return next week from military duty.

Has anyone called the EPA and notified them of the possible problem with the runoff that threatens to destroy the reef and sealife ? If you could get them involved you could tie up the project for years in court .

HBDiveGirl:

Every voice counts.

Claudette

OH YEA!

I am in the Santa Barbara class, but, will see you on the boat! There are a few of us attending, so, we will be heard.:wink:

Josh and Jim, Too! this is too cool:D

We even have a couple in June (or July?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom