oms/dive rite..need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice try Tavi - tell it to the GUE boys as well....

a koplin plate is not a halcyon plate, as a dive-rite plate is not a halcyon plate

what's the difference???????????? You like koplin, I like Fred T

Don't you get it??? Dive-Rite makes Backplates too,
not just transpacs

I bet not every GUE diver dives a Halcyon BP

My advice:

Backplates are a piece of solid metal with holes and slots and can either be aluminum or stainless steel. Webbing is a single piece of stiff nylon webbing. Good D-Rings are stainless steel. All of these items are commodities (are all essentially the same) and as such you should get the least expensive possible. Gary Hoadley sells stainless steel and aluminum backplates with full DIR compatible harnesses on ebay (they come with the tubing to hold the lights, bungee for the inflator, drings and crotch strap!) and they are basically the least expensive that I could find (about 75 for an AL backplate and fully rigged harness). The stainless is more expensive. Which you want depends on how much weight you want on the backplate. SS is about 6 pounds, AL is about 1 pound. I also got an STA from Gary at a good price which weighs about 4 pounds for a total of about 5 pounds.

As far as wings go, go with the best deal you can get with dive-rite, OMS or halcyon. They are all about the same. I feel that the bungeed wings add some complexity that conflicts with the whole purpose of simplifying the rig, other than that you should go for a set of wings with the appropriate lift capacity. I went with the 27 pound halcyon wings from my LDS because they gave me a good deal. 27 pounds is sufficient lift for the type of diving that I have been doing (I dive with the bladder almost completely empty).

Regarding whether you need LDS support, the wings and backplate are so simple I think that the LDS can handle it regardless. The only mechanical parts are the inflator and dump valve and they should be pretty standard (and are also incredibly simple).

My whole bp/wings/harness cost about $315.

remember there are passionate divers on this board. Many can't agree, and a few can't agree to disagree. And there are a few who are paranoid that every question is a prelude to a fight. Ignore them as you seem fit.

You however, get to make the final choice regarding the equipment you buy or pass up. There are two major criteria that I think are being overlooked here...

1) Fit... It should be the right size for you. Too loose or tight will bring about a myriad of problems.

2) Comfort... get a BC (IQ, Trans Pac, or BP & wing) that feels good to you. No matter what advice you get about how good or bad any BC is, YOU have to wear it. So make sure it will be something that won't cut or chafe. If you are not comfortable in it, you will be constantly fighting it. Try em all out, if at all possible.

Of the three, I prefer the OMS IQ for a single tank, and the BP and wings for doubles. That being said, if we widen the possibilities, then I would say that I love the Chute II for a single tank, but you asked specifically about Dive Rite and OMS and I find them both a great BC. The preference is yours to choose.

As for the bungies... much maligned, but they give me stability and I have never had a snag on them. Never had a runaway deflation when they were punctured either. That's just my experience, but I have never heard of either scenario actually happening either.

Rooster,

You have no reason to apologize for your post. Asking questions and getting opinions is the way we learn. I think that you have nothing to worry about from Uncle Pug, whom I have found a wealth of knowledge and someone that is willing to take the time to explain things. The problem is the expert want-to-bes that jump on a band wagon. Keep asking questions because we all learn from the answers.

Scuba 446,

Have you forgotten all of the questions that you had? How many times did you flip back and forth between BC and BB/wings? Why not offer constructive advise and opinion rather than ranting and raving! You’re a motivational speaker? If so, one must ask, do you live in a van by the swamp?

Mike

Thanks to all who offered advice (good or bad I like it all). I can sort things out for myself from all the good input I have read and believe me even though I respect that some of you guys here are very passionate about your gear choices and seem to want to defend it to the death, I also think some of you guys need to lighten up a little. OMS, DIVERITE, and HALCYON are all good quality gear, it is silly to start saying mine is better then yours.
I have seen this gear in the shops, and know enough about it to know whatever I buy, I won't lose out. my post was to hear from you guys that dive the stuff already what were your experiences, as far as comfort, ease, and anything that I should know before I lay out the cash on the counter.

Remember just because it isn't what you use, doesn't mean it's crap

Relax and enjoy your wings:thumb::halo:

:cluck:

nice last post....I have been trying for a year to get people to JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION....never mind mine is better than yours cause crap.............I have two kids at home and the parliment channel if I want ot listen to that crap........

Hi,
Good point - I think enough IS enough on all that.

Its like one guy defending his Ford truck and another defending his Chevy truck - to the death.

I'm sure that there are alot of good manufactures out there making BP's and wings and BC's, even if some of us prefer X brand over Y or Z brand.

A guy whom has had great luck with OMS sure doesn't want to hear someone (including me) say its crap - same as I don't want to hear anyone tell me I was 'taken' on my Halcyon gear (which I have been told by LDS's).

Dive smart, safe and have fun is the name of the game!

Rooster1,
Just my $.02. I have been diving the Dive Rite BP/Wings for last 7 years. No problems, love it. Many of my friends dive OMS. I know several who did not like the bungees with the OMS after they got them, but never had a big problem with them. I think you will find that up here, the Dive Rite and OMS are easier to find then Halcyon. But I think once you go the BP/Wings route you will never go back to a jacket BC. Good luck with your research.

Originally posted by wrecNcaver
Rooster1,
Just my $.02. I have been diving the Dive Rite BP/Wings for last 7 years. No problems, love it. Many of my friends dive OMS. I know several who did not like the bungees with the OMS after they got them, but never had a big problem with them. I think you will find that up here, the Dive Rite and OMS are easier to find then Halcyon. But I think once you go the BP/Wings route you will never go back to a jacket BC. Good luck with your research.

Good honest post ( I like that) I have already made up my mind on what wings to buy. I did enough research and I am happy with my choice. (please dont nobody ask, I dont want to be hated or loved even more) hehehe:D

Back
Top Bottom