oms/dive rite..need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I won't ask, and good luck with whatever you have chosen!

I'm sure the BP and wings will serve you well...

I am not going to be much help on the OMS, as the only OMS product I have any experience with is the AL backplate. BTW, I think this is an excellent backplate. The quality and finish is great. I would rather have it than my Dive Rite.

Now to move on. The only wings that I have experience with are the Dive Rite, and the Halcyon. Both are high quality wings. I cave dive mainly with two other people. They both use Dive Rite Classic wings, and I use the Halcyon. In the group of about 10 or so of us that do cave dive together, 3 of us use the Halcyon, the rest use the Dive Rite.

Like I said, the Dive Rite is a quality wing, however, I feel the Halcyon is superior. We took my wing, and my main dive buddies Dive Rite wing for a side to saide comparison. We found that the material that the Halcyon was made of was stronger than, that the Halcyon had a layer protecting the bladder from the zipper, the Halcyon had a stress relief on the elbow for the inflator hose, that the inflator hose on the Dive Rite was too long, the rear dump string on the Dive Rite had a ball on it that could become an entanglement hazard, and the inflator seemed to be slower on Halcyon. The only thing I found that I liked about the Dive Rite better was the extra holes for tank bands, so you could adjust your trim with your wings. However, if your tanks, backplate, and bands are setup properly, you should not have to use your wing to adjust trim.

Like I said, these are simply my opinions.

I think it's useful for folks to post something about their experience with gear if they are going to recommend it or bash it.

Divers of all experience levels have lots of useful information to offer. In fact, newer divers who have just gone through the gear purchase process often have their decision criteria fresh in their mind -- their opinions are very useful.

What isn't useful is repetition of heresay from other divers.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Dive Rite or OMS wings. I have a Halcyon Pioneer which I bought used and have used for a grand total of 5 dives. The thing looks and feels very rugged. This is the older style wing without the integrated STA . Time will tell how durable it is.

Originally posted by large_diver

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Dive Rite or OMS wings. I have a Halcyon Pioneer which I bought used and have used for a grand total of 5 dives. The thing looks and feels very rugged. This is the older style wing without the integrated STA . Time will tell how durable it is.

Hi can you just tell us how you campare your last 5 dives with the BP to the best BC you dove with. I would be interested in all aspects, comfort, stability in and above the water, ease of use etc

Thanks

Have you looked at the new Deepoutdoors bc's? They have or are making (I'm not quite sure if it is out yet) a B/P and harness system to go with there wings. The company is new to scuba diving, but the guys who I have talked with are in love with there new bc's. Check out there web site at www.deepoutdoors.com to see the bc's.

Yes,
A BP IS a BP IS a BP! I have a Koplin, but I won't say that I think it’s better than anyone else's BP's - yes, some are 304 SS and some are 316 SS. Based on my old Industrial Sales days, I'd say the 316 is a better bet, but my 304 sure hasn't rusted or corroded yet - but then I dive mainly freshwater right now.

I'm relaxed my opinion on OMS bungeed wings after having quite a lot of problems with my Halcyon Pioneers seeming to 'trap' air in them so much that just don't want to totally vent out when deflated. Might just be MY inexperience with wings being new to them - not sure!

As far as the War on Bungees - no one can actually cite a single instance where a diver was killed (that I am aware of) just because he had bungeed wings while diving. I stand to be corrected - but I haven't seen that proof yet.

I don't do wreck penetrations nor cave dive, so I can't see them as such an entanglement issue as others might.

GUE/DIR endorses Halcyon gear, but I hear rumors that there is quite a large following of cave divers in Fla whom are diving Dive Rite wings currently. I'm not quite sure what the connect ion is between GUE and Halcyon.

I would have liked to dive the OMS bungee to see if they dumped trapped air any better than mine are. Besides, I always wanted a pair of their RED wings anyways!

Originally posted by Scuba446
GUE/DIR endorses Halcyon gear, but I hear rumors that there is quite a large following of cave divers in Fla whom are diving Dive Rite wings currently. I'm not quite sure what the connect ion is between GUE and Halcyon.

That is not a rumor. There are LOTS of cave divers who use Dive Rite wings. As a matter of fact, 7 out of 10 in the group that I cave dive with use Dive Rite Classic Wings. Only 3 of us use Halcyon. Dive Rite makes a nice high quality wing. After comparing both wings side by side, I simply feel like I made the better purchase buying the Halcyon. I feel it is a more durable wing then the Dive Rite.

Oh, what is this problem you are having with air trapping? I have never had a problem with my Halcyon wings trapping air.

Well,
I have to wear 16# on my waist PLUS my 6# BP. Kost said that sounded rather heavy even for my 7mm westuit, 5mm gloves, boots, hood with a single AL80 and I am a mere 150# body weight.

I have had times (or so it seems) getting all the sir out of my wings. I've had to roll onto my right side so as to shift the air to the deflator hose side to vent out, or, do a butt-up position and use the rear dump.

Just seems sometimes like my 45# Pioneer' are holding air in still after I have used the deflator hose and dumped air.

I did my OW check out dives with like 8# on my waist and my 6# SS BP and it wasn't heavy enough, I ahd to keep adding 2# weights to get negative.

I COULD be a tad heavy at 16# waist now and maybe could get by with 12 or 14, not sure yet.

Just seems like the bungees would aid in dumping air out when needed. Dunno...

My old Mares BC at 41# lift never trapped air in it, so I am confused...

Again, I'm pretty new to diving, let alone a BP and wings..

I live about 1 hr from a GUE/DIR shop/Instructor and need to get with him to have him look over my rig and see what he things.

I know my 45# Pioneer's are a bit of an overkill, but I chose them on the fact that most of the jacket and back inflation BC's that were out on the market sported 40# lift and above for my size. Thats why I went with the 45# wings instead of 36 or 27's.

I have to wear 16# on my waist PLUS my 6# BP. Kost said that sounded rather heavy even for my 7mm westuit, 5mm gloves, boots, hood with a single AL80 and I am a mere 150# body weight.
IJust seems sometimes like my 45# Pioneer' are holding air in still after I have used the deflator hose and dumped air.

22lbs is overkill, unless most of that 150 is fat. I am not the most fit person on the planet, at 180 and 5'11, diveing 7mm 2 peaice, 5mm boot/hood/glove and an AL 80. I use 18 lbs total. I would suspect you would beable to get away with less than that.

And 45# is masive, and likely the main cause of your air traping problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom