OMS Slipstreams Fins with Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope John_B updates this, Ill send him a PM.
Jeez, I went to Florida and totally forgot about this thread after I got back. I'm sorry *headslap*!!!

For anyone else, I have the XL Slipstreams and the Scubapro 5mm Molded Sole Boots - US size ML/9 - I normally wear a 9.5 or a 10. These are the boots with higher profile crosstrainer-type soles, not the deck soles. If anything the Slipstreams are just a tad loose with these boots where the XL Jetfins were a tad too tight. So that leads me to believe the XL Slipstreams foot pockets are marginally larger than the same size Jetfins. And they Slipstreams are definitely lighter.

After 13 dives in 5 days I can categorically state that the Slipstreams rock for frog kick, modified frog kick and helicopter turns. I still go half-backwards and half-upwards when I do back kicks, just like I did with the Jetfins. I suspect the problem there is with the wearer not the fins. :rofl3:

Unfortunately, while chasing down a speedster insta-buddy I found the Slipstreams are too stiff to be efficient for flutter kicks. I'll keep them for now but I'm still looking for the perfect Jetfin replacement.

I wanted to try this type fin for several reasons, but very put off by the SP Jet fin weight. OMS slipstream seems like a good solution. I tried on an XL Jet at my LDS (I do enough business with them that I don't feel guilty about abusing their time) and it fit pretty well.

So I ordered the XL slipstream from leisurepro. They counseled me to get the size L spring straps ("everybody goes down one size on the strap"). I ordered it, and in spite of me really wanting it to fit, my foot goes too deep into the foot pocket to be comfortable (digs hard into my instep) and also feels too sloppy wrt controlling the fin with my feet. FWIW, though, if I had been able to wear the XL slipstreams, it looks like the size L straps would be right.

I wear 9-9.5 shoes, my booties are size 9, and I'd call them "medium sole"; I can walk on rocks OK but they're not really thick or rigid. I don't feel like changing them.

LP took the fins and straps back without hassle and credited my card back. I have liked doing business with them for stuff that doesn't care about service or warranty, that's where I throw the LDS a bone. And my LDS doesn't carry OMS anyway.

So I'm now waiting for the Slipstreams in L to be released. Any news on that?
LP says they are "on order", but could give me no ETA.

FWIW, while I had them, I weighed them.
One Slipstream XL fin with stock rubber strap weighs 2 lbs 6.25 oz.
With the rubber strap removed and one size L spring strap added, it weighs 2 lbs 11 oz. But this includes the wire buckles for the rubber strap that I didn't want to cut out since I was returning them. I'll guess 1 oz. So call it 2 lbs 10 oz.

The XL slipstreams are 22" long wrt packing in a suitcase. One of several reasons for wanting to change are to get something that fits in a carryon. My Mares quattros don't. BTW, one size "regular" quattro fin with Wayward Son spring strap is 2 lbs 5.9 oz.

To repeat, anyone know anything about size L slipstream availability?

They've been coming "in about a month" for a year at Scubatoys and have been listed on the OMS web site for longer than that. I can't find the reference now, but somebody recently said that they were supposed by be out for DEMA in the fall. Who knows? It doesn't say a lot for OMS customer service.

I have XXL and they fit my 15/ 16 feet in size 17 Chucks just fine,

With feet like THAT I'm surprised that you need fins. :D

So, is the foot pocket on an XL slipstream bigger than an XL Jet?

XS Scuba makes a 7mm boot with a thick sole I like, but my XL Jets are just a bit too tight for them I wouldn't getting the boots if I can find a jet style fin that fits.

So, is the foot pocket on an XL slipstream bigger than an XL Jet?

XS Scuba makes a 7mm boot with a thick sole I like, but my XL Jets are just a bit too tight for them I wouldn't getting the boots if I can find a jet style fin that fits.
It seemed that way to me. Whether they are actually bigger or the dimensions are just more forgiving for taller wetboots I couldn't say (Peter has my old Jetfins so I have nothing to compare against). What I can say is that the same Scubapro boots (see earlier post above) that were just a bit too snug with my old XL Jetfins have a small bit of wiggle room with the XL Slipstreams.

You live in flyover country too, don't you? I could send you my XL Slipstreams to try out if you don't have access to an LDS that stocks them (I bought mine from Scubatoys because they are close enough that ground shipping is next day about half the time). They'll probably be for sale at some point. PM me.

Unfortunately, while chasing down a speedster insta-buddy I found the Slipstreams are too stiff to be efficient for flutter kicks.

-That's what I couldn't quite figure out, they do feel a bit different, -that's it. Not too worried about fluttering so I still like them well enough to stay with them. Now if they were just a bit heavier I'd be really happy.

Well, I broke my XL Slipstreams in with baby oil and a hot bath. My shoe size is a 10, I have a pair of thick soled Seasoft Sunray boots. The fit was a bit tight. The fit with deep sea 3mm booties was a bit loose. I put a little spritz of baby oil on the seasoft boots and got them into the fins again, then I filled a tub with hot water over the tops of the fins. After a while I think I had them broken in.

Still need to hit the pool.

One note, the slipstreams have raised letters on them that serve to only brand them and create drag. I am thinking of taking a Dremel tool and taking the letters off to slipstream my Slipstreams.

One note, the slipstreams have raised letters on them that serve to only brand them and create drag. I am thinking of taking a Dremel tool and taking the letters off to slipstream my Slipstreams.

You are concerned about drag from raised letters on a fin? (I am not A, I am not A, I am not A).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom