On Jet Fins and Frog Kicks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those of us who get into this kind of thing have amazed our SOs by practicing kicks on the floor and practicing clipping and unclipping while wearing the backplate and watching television. Spouses soon learn to observe, bemused.

Any techies here? Computer, I mean. All I get is lots of text. I can download the file but what format is it? This is the file name I get...frogkick1[1].m1v.txt

Not really clueless when it comes to computers so I really cant understand this.

edit: Ok it plays in quicktime. Dont know why my computer adds .txt to the file name.

ABQdiver:

windows media player can play it.

partridge:
Any techies here? Computer, I mean. All I get is lots of text. I can download the file but what format is it? This is the file name I get...frogkick1[1].m1v.txt

Not really clueless when it comes to computers so I really cant understand this.

edit: Ok it plays in quicktime. Dont know why my computer adds .txt to the file name.

BabyDuck:
you're kinda trying to clap the bottoms of your feet together without moving your legs above the knees...it's all in the ankle!

bingo. The two major problems I see are not using your ankles, and dropping your knees. if you arch your back dramatically at first; basically trying to push your butt into your tanks, it usually gets around the knee dropping issue. Then using your ankles to 'flick' the fins and clap them together at the end tends to get people around the "push the water backwards" problem. A lot of calf muscle and a pointing of the toes at the end is usually the final trick to get it down.

I would compare the internal dimensions of your current fins and see if the XL is the right size for you - If you wear a size 9-10 street shoe, I would not recommend the XXL Jet as your foot will most likely end up spinning in it. FWIW I can wear my size 13 combat boots inside the XXL Jets.

If you find that you are in between XL & XXL Jets - then you'll probably need to go with Turtles (very similar, but an in-between size)

btw- don't worry much about the depth of the foot pocket (within 2 inches) as the Jets fit differently than most other fin types out there that I've seen.

Let us know what you decide and if it helps your frog kick.

Aloha,
Tim

P.S. I agree that the tech DVD from 5thd-x is well worth getting (for lots of other reasons besides frog-kicks)

One of the advantages of playing with this out of the water, while lying on your stomach, is that you have to figure out the motion without being able to drop your knees.

kidspot:
I would compare the internal dimensions of your current fins and see if the XL is the right size for you - If you wear a size 9-10 street shoe, I would not recommend the XXL Jet as your foot will most likely end up spinning in it. FWIW I can wear my size 13 combat boots inside the XXL Jets.

If you find that you are in between XL & XXL Jets - then you'll probably need to go with Turtles (very similar, but an in-between size)

btw- don't worry much about the depth of the foot pocket (within 2 inches) as the Jets fit differently than most other fin types out there that I've seen.

Let us know what you decide and if it helps your frog kick.

Aloha,
Tim

P.S. I agree that the tech DVD from 5thd-x is well worth getting (for lots of other reasons besides frog-kicks)

You could wear a family of 4 inside the XXL :)
be aware that the blade on the L is smaller than the XL, and might not generate as much power.

9-10 street shoe, you ought to be able to use the XL (in my opinion) depending on your boots. You probably are not going to fit rock boots in an XL.

limeyx:
You could wear a family of 4 inside the XXL :)
be aware that the blade on the L is smaller than the XL, and might not generate as much power.

9-10 street shoe, you ought to be able to use the XL (in my opinion) depending on your boots. You probably are not going to fit rock boots in an XL.

agreed - rock boots are whole different "critter" :wink:

They really need to make a size between XL & XXL though :(

btw - one of the things I like about the XXL is that when I walk up from the beach I can fill it with fresh water from the beach shower, stick my mask, computer and compass in to soak... and in the other one I can rinse my regulators while I walk to my truck. Once at the truck I dump the water over my boots and rinse the sand off so I can get in and drive home...

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom