One dive day on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

back to your references. we obviously have different references.
we tip because the dms don't make **** for pay.
we tip no matter what. when someone goes above and beyond, then we tip even more. tip is 15% gratuity of the total bill and 20-25% if they go beyond the call of duty.but no matter what, we tip!!!
get it.
good night, already. I am watching a movie and would like to watch it now.
aloha

merxlin:
I will be in Maui the first week of November but only have one day to dive. I've heard rumors of Mantas being seen around Maui now and that is one thing I would love to see. Also would like to go to Lanai'i if possible. I did inside Molokini last year so would like to get someplace else this year. I've seen the posts with the dive op reviews, but if you only had one day to dive, where would you go, and who would you have get you there?
I was at Makena yesterday (Sunday) snorkeling with friends (Pacific Whale boat) and saw a neat manta. I had more fun free-diving than should be legal. I'm glad I took the oly.
P1010013a.JPG

More pix @

http://msh-co.com/maui_diving/Snorkeling_10-1-06

(the turtles are from Coconuts -- the coral is AWESOME there!)

If I had only one day on Maui I think I'd do Molokini (drift around the end of the reef to the shark ledges) and then either Red Hill or Makena - then do a nice night dive.
If I had a lifetime I'd do the rest of the island (Maui) -- and the others too.
I'm working on that.
The cathedrals on Lanai are great. If you book with Maui Dive shop - try to get on the boat with MAUI DIVER. He'll show you a great time.

Aloha merxlin- you'll enjoy your dives whatever you decide.

Mark

KrisB:
Here's the thing: we don't mind tipping, when it's warranted. You don't get tipped just because you did your job -- you get tipped when you go above and beyond.
Bottom line: I have not heard any really positive reviews of MDS, period. That doesn't mean there aren't satisfied customers -- it just means that they haven't said anything in an unbiased forum that I'm privy to.

KrisB,
Two things:

1. DM's, instructors.... don't make squat here. Tips really help make ends meet. It's NOT necessary to go "above and beyond" to deserve a tip. By American standards, tip your waiter 15% for normal (good) service. You should tip your crew for normal (good) service as well. But don't tip if you've received bad service - of course. And don't feel bad ....Canadians are not the worst tippers in the world - just really close (behind my father in law, among others, and he's from Montana!) :D .

2. I've had a few outings with MDS (and other Maui operators) and EVERY one of them has been a superior experience. So now you have heard your really positive review.

Mark

MDS is Maui Dive Shop. Your link just goes to a group of photos, I didn't see the sunken boat.

Did the MDS charge their customers for a wreck dive??? :wink:

I usually tip but I did not tip once when diving the catherdrals with the MDS. The dive leader was snarly throughout and needed to move someplace else.

I don't care for a speech about how much they need a tip at the end of the dive. I think it's totally unprofessional. It's a good way to get stiffed by me.

aloha.
mahalo mark for the back-up. things were getting a little there, no thanks to my bluntness.
check out the fotage of the new wreck @ molokini...hehehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6iW-n_UFTs

and Al, not all dms are ideal. you describe some DM and I amsure I know who it is.
he lacks people skills but he's a good guy, which most divers don't have enough time to understand. we are ttrying to fix it.
and yes, talking about tips by the crew or captain is not the way to do it. I always said that kindness is always better. treat people like you would want to be treated and then give a bit more. then the tips and sales go up.
unfortunately a lot of people get into dming or instructing without the realitic knowledge of the true frustrations of the industry and are not able to cope. what to do....I feel for those people and try to help each new crew that comes on.
anyways, nice shot mark,,,that manta loos familiar, was he pretty big? looks like it by his markings. good one.
aloha all

Looks like they have removed the photo.

Thanks for the link - I read some of it last night...interesting.

Al Mialkovsky:
I don't care for a speech about how much they need a tip at the end of the dive. I think it's totally unprofessional.

:luxhello::yelclap:

With regard to Manta Ray sighting, only a diver with few dives there could have seen them 50% of the time at Molokini (with the exception of Sport Diver magazine editor Ty Sawyer's fictional dive reviews). Better to ask the Molokini guides how often they see Mantas for an idea of how special that experience is. In the Winter I see Mantas fairly regularly at many of the South Shore dive sites (Ulua, Polo Beach, Wailea Point, Turtle Town, Red Hill) and recently at the St Anthony and at Turtle Town.

As I near my first year anniversary on SB, I must say that the chippiness in the Hawaii Ohana is the main reason for my lack of posts. Occassionaly when I do dive in I am stirring the pot a little, and the majority of our regulars can shovel the **** with aloha. Many times when aloha is discarded, there is a common Northern element. My parents encouraged me to not say anything if I had nothing nice to say and so I encourage everyone to say less to said Northern element.

halemano:
With regard to Manta Ray sighting, only a diver with few dives there could have seen them 50% of the time at Molokini (with the exception of Sport Diver magazine editor Ty Sawyer's fictional dive reviews). Better to ask the Molokini guides how often they see Mantas for an idea of how special that experience is. In the Winter I see Mantas fairly regularly at many of the South Shore dive sites (Ulua, Polo Beach, Wailea Point, Turtle Town, Red Hill) and recently at the St Anthony and at Turtle Town.

As I near my first year anniversary on SB, I must say that the chippiness in the Hawaii Ohana is the main reason for my lack of posts. Occassionaly when I do dive in I am stirring the pot a little, and the majority of our regulars can shovel the **** with aloha. Many times when aloha is discarded, there is a common Northern element. My parents encouraged me to not say anything if I had nothing nice to say and so I encourage everyone to say less to said Northern element.

Aloha,

You are correct. a lot of manta sightings along the coast...a lot for them to eat there. mostly they are smaller ones....8 feet or so.

the ones out at molo are bigger, 12-16 foot. they come in to the 2 main cleaning stations, Orange Grove and Garbonzos. We see them sometimes but not too often during the day/am charter but more often on the twilight dive. It depends on the time of the year. when they are in mating season, we don't see them to often but the rest of the year I would say........let see, we do that dive twice a week, 104 times a year,
we probably see them maybe 20% of the times. 5% of the times we have seen up to 6 at one time....very often we see 4 but most of the times we 2. they are very beautiful. my friend has benn studying them for the past 20 years. she is a great refernce. There's another site that is even better.....up to 26 at one time. average 8 at a time....but I am unable to release that info since I promised her.

any ways. aloha.

Back
Top Bottom