Online Rescue Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally would not take any diving course online. You just dont learn the same as you would in the classroom. But then it depends on how good the instructors actually are. Some instructors you are suprised at how they became instructors. The NAUI DEMP program is a great advanced rescue program that covers everything you need to know.

I personally would not take any diving course online. You just dont learn the same as you would in the classroom. But then it depends on how good the instructors actually are. Some instructors you are suprised at how they became instructors. The NAUI DEMP program is a great advanced rescue program that covers everything you need to know.

I haven't taken any online classes, but I feel the same way. It might be because I have such good local instructors, when I took my rescue class it was taught like more of a public safety diver class since that's what the instructor was used to. Higher expectations from the instructor made me study more than I would have normally.

I have toyed with the idea of taking some of the classes through the online portions. The only thing is I have seen some shops have people come in and take the entire course any way. I love the old fashioned way myself because you get some interaction face to face with instructors and even fellow divers taking the class.

Just my 2 cents

The reading section of the class is minimal. I don't remember how many pages, but it may have been a few hours to do the classroom section. You then have pool time. I think that was only 4 hours. The OW section if memory serves was 1 1/2 days, but the point is two days plus/minus to complete the Open water part, and the diving is minimal. One short dive and that was it. Most of the class is at the surface doing......rescues!

I would do this locally and enjoy Coz having already completed the class. I suppose you could do just the OW portion in Coz, but I can not think of a good reason to do that unless you like spending vacation time in PADI classes.

I never had the option of elearning but it seems this is just the academic portion that we had to do at home, except now you can do all the tests and pay for it at home as well. I kinda enjoyed the classroom review, getting to know the instructor, and reviewing the test. I can see a course like Nitrox completed at home, but like the interaction with a class like Rescue.

Anyway Rescue it is a great class. You will enjoy it regardless of where you take it.

I think its a good idea to have some background going into the actual course, so that you can focus on fine-tuning your brain rather than it being the first time you are exposed to the concepts.

Seriously, that's got to be the best and most accurate response I've ever read. Very true and crosses into so much more than just diving. This will make a good quote in my signature! :D :cool2:

I don't know about the PADI classes online but the TDI Nitrox course I just finished this afternoon had a link on the left side of the webpage to ask an instructor questions. I didn't use it but it was available.

Personally, I was glad I took my OW class in a classroom environment but I didn't get much from the instructors that wasn't in the book or the DVD the shop had me watch. Apart from the practical work in the pool, I would have been just fine doing OW online.

I don't know about the PADI classes online but the TDI Nitrox course I just finished this afternoon had a link on the left side of the webpage to ask an instructor questions. I didn't use it but it was available.

Personally, I was glad I took my OW class in a classroom environment but I didn't get much from the instructors that wasn't in the book or the DVD the shop had me watch. Apart from the practical work in the pool, I would have been just fine doing OW online.

Considering most of the "classroom" work is sitting around watching a DVD (or so it seems) then online should be a good way to do it. It is however nice to have an instructor right there to instantly stop the video if there is something you don't understand and the chances are you probably aren't the only one thinking the same thing. That's the 1 really good thing about hands on instruction vs just doing it yourself.

The practical in water aspects of the Rescue course are so specific, educational and demanding I really can't remember the classroom portion. Online or in the classroom for this course I think would make little difference. The initial open water course and rescue I think are the most important courses to take. Properly taught, rescue is a very important step in training and even more than open water or dive master, it is a hands on, in the water training course, rather than a study of theories of physics and physiology. Its a great course!

I believe that if I was 22 instead of 72 I'd probably have taken the Rescue and on to Instructor but I don't have the strength or stamina to do it nowadays. If I took it I would sign up with someone who really teaches an in depth course, nothing hurried, and serious about it. I took the online course for the OW and zipped through the AOW (What a laffer.) but anything as serious as getting yourself in a position where someone else's life might depend on you, I'd take a little more time with.

I teach scuba and I teach law and ethics at a local university part time. At the university I have taught the same course as an on line course and in seat course, and I think in seat is totally superior. The interaction between students and teacher is spontaneous, as is that between student and student. There are issues and subjects that arise and are discussed that never emerge in the sterility of "on line." I know on line is all the rage these past 10 years or more, and it saddens me. Translating to scuba courses, the same thing occurs. Instructor and student stories make application of the "book learning" to actual diving more complete. The classroom interaction has value beyond content for the same reasons as stated above. If I had my way, there would be no on-line scuba classes (sorry PADI, it's just the way I feel.) Scuba is not virtual reality, it is reality. In rescue classes, you have experienced divers who all contribute to the learning, in class and in the water. So my vote is for the in class experience, not on line.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom