Online Retailers & Warranties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may not like some of PL's practices but honestly, they can't be terrible and stay in business. Personally, I always use ScubaToys or my LDS now. My LDS knows I buy some things from Larry and I give them a chance to match or come close on any of my purchases and a lot of times they can.

Just recently I tried to purchase an underwater camera enclosure from LP. When I bought it on their site, it said "Low Stock" (which to me says they still have some). I needed the enclosure quickly so paid for expedited shipping. I got a call the next day (Monday) from someone from LP trying to confirm my shipping address. He had a very thick accent and was about the most gruff, unfriendly person I've had the displeasure of talking to when it comes to customer service. I wasn't even sure exactly what he wanted, just that he had some issue with the shipping address (I checked it later and there was no problem with it).

As it turned out, the camera that I was going to use with the enclosure turned up missing so I decided to cancel the order the next day. I figured I was probably hosed at that point since they had probably already shipped it, I had to go thru returning it, .... As it turned out I checked its status on their site and it was marked "Backordered". I had gotten no notification or any other sign that it was going to be delayed by LP. I sent them mail and they cancelled it no problem (the response was prompt and friendly).

So, the bottom line for me with LP is that I think their cust svc is a bit spotty and I am not happy that they just moved something to backorder without saying a word about it. Their prices are good usually and I would probably still use them for things that I'm not in a hurry for or that don't need service (particularly things I trust my life to). As noted by others there are other online retailers that are good and generally pretty comparable on price (plus have manufacturer warranties) so I wouldn't say LP is the clear winner.

I tend to get most of my life-critical gear at my LDS for simplified service and to do my part to keep them going. Some are pretty good at matching online pricing if you give them the chance so it is worth exploring before cutting them out of the loop.

Have fun!

I personally bought a computer(Stinger), it wasn't what was advertised or expected, and I had to fight with them to get it resolved. I have friends(In Maryland) that bought two Aeris computers, same scenario. I have a friend( in Houston) that bought two computers from LP guess what-had problems with the computers and getting the problem resolved. That was enough for me. Buy anything you want from them, your decision. Ask about buying from them and their warranty on a public forum you'll get different opinions, I've made mine abundantly clear, I hope.

Remember that, while LP offers "warranty service," it is their own service mirroring the warranty, and not the manufacturer's.

That's fine, the work is probably pretty good. Ands, since LP has been around a pretty long time, you can probably get access to their service as long as you could anywhere else.

But, don't forget that you must take your equipment back to LP for service under warranty, that you will not get warranty service from any one else. Authorized Service Centers will not service your equipment (for free) under warranty if it was bought through the grey market.

Now, I do like LP, and just bought some weights from them because they were one of the only places that carried the coated weights I wanted, and could deliver them without a second mortgage for shipping. But I would be reluctant to buy anything on which I thought I might want warranty coverage.

Personally, I like DiversDirect.com. I only post them because I have not seen them mentioned much. They are authorized dealers on most of their products, and the prices are comparable to (or better than) the others. They are also LDS if you live in one of the five cities where they have LDS's.

As for me, I have no LDS, so travelling an hour to deal with strangers, or paying less on line, pretty much half a dozen of one, six of the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom