Online vs. Local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good that you have an excellent LDS really. Many people of the peolpe who buy online still support their LDS's by buying air, trips, smaller stuff etc from their LDS. Though I wen't into a dive shop near Vancouver and they had a SP R-190 first and second stage for 300 $ CDN so that's somewhere around 280 US for an R-190!!! I got a deal with guages and alternate second and long hose setup for that price at scubatoys. And I'm fairly confident that I can expect as good service if not better from them then my LDS.

I, like many other divers have a preferred LDS but I'll be damned if I'm going to advertise for them, but if asked, I would recomend them. And like many divers I have a prefered online supplier.

For what it's worth!

Love my LDS

My lds is the only one around for miles so I was ready to get scalpped when I started diving.

Took my classes and started buying stuff. At first I thought I would just buy my regs/ octo and computer from him for ease of service. To my supprise he had prices that were VERY close to the internet so I also bought my BC , weights, bags and other stuff. ( at the same internet pricing ) When it was all done he gave me a FREE NEW TANK !!

Sure I still get some small stuff off the net, stuff he doesnt carry or I need overnite expressed BUT my LDS treats people great.

There's a dive shop I know that wanted me to buy one of their auto tags to put on my vehicle, but they didn't want to pay the going advertising rates !!!

the K

archman:
Unfortunately, postings very similar to yours have been made by "regular divers" who are in fact LDS employees spamming the board. So when you enter any LDS information into your sig line or user profile, it's like waving a red flag to our resident spam-sniffers. :pcangry:

Now you see, I have to take issue here. I have a dive shop in my sig. The reson I do is that all my LDS even the one I train at try to make every cent they can of the diver. They often over price or try to scam you. So all my big eqipment is bought from a shop in FL his prices are the best and he stands by them. Becouse of the way he runs his shop I like to support him. that is why he is in my sig.

NightRaven77:
Ya Know...

I really dont know why.....Ill clear it out....I was just filling out the areas...and figured I put his on there....no biggie...after looking at it as you see it...your right...

I bow down before thee...lol

I believe you. Your 2nd post came while I was typing.

But your first post does show that online buying, particularly from ebay and to some extent, leisurpro, is not for everyone. Some folks need the advice and assistance of an LDS. They are unable, unwilling, or uninterested in doing the research and gaining the knowledge required to purchase from discount source and not get burned. The extra expense of and LDS is worth it to them. And, as in your case, if it happens to be a good LDS, it everyone should stay happy with the relationship.

It's hard to imagine learning you must be certified from the GC dive op.

AquaHump:
Now you see, I have to take issue here. I have a dive shop in my sig. The reson I do is that all my LDS even the one I train at try to make every cent they can of the diver. They often over price or try to scam you. So all my big eqipment is bought from a shop in FL his prices are the best and he stands by them. Becouse of the way he runs his shop I like to support him. that is why he is in my sig.

It not until you accompany that with a long posting praising your LDS AND criticizing his competition with generalities, that my scam alarm goes off.

Had a specific, exceptionally good experience with an LDS whether it be Mike's or Larry's? Many member like hearing about it. I would not expect scam alarms.

Had a specific bad experience with an ebay seller or LP? Again, many will appreciate the warning. No alarms here.

But put the 2 together evidenced with generalities and it sounds like advertising BS.

awap:
It not until you accompany that with a long posting praising your LDS AND criticizing his competition with generalities, that my scam alarm goes off.

Had a specific, exceptionally good experience with an LDS whether it be Mike's or Larry's? Many member like hearing about it. I would not expect scam alarms.

Had a specific bad experience with an ebay seller or LP? Again, many will appreciate the warning. No alarms here.

But put the 2 together evidenced with generalities and it sounds like advertising BS.

Maybe he is not burning his bridges by bashing his LDS??? I would even use a crappy shop as my "Save-A-Dive" shop.... So, before you say he is spewing BS, take the time to consider his perspective.

Me, I'm feeling self-destructive.......

This being said, I happen to know Aquahump in all his hairy knuckledragging glory. He got an awesome deal from Bill Rennaker at Cave Excursions. I know he got quotes from Una at Salty Dog in Wilmington, Jim at Dudas' Diving Duds in West Chester, and John at North East Scuba Supply in Norristown. Only John had a reasonable price. All the others couldn't come close. Hell, Jim's quote and comments were insulting in my view...... If I was disgruntled as he was, I'd pitch for the guy who treated me right!

BTW, I may have my favorite web comic on my personal info at SB, but I have a Cave Excursions license plate on my car!

For my money, the best dive shops I've dealt with are Cave Excursions, Cave Excursions East, and The Dive Outpost. Customer Service, support of local diving, pricing, and just plain niceness.......

This being said, Salty Dog, Dudas', and NESS are not horrible shops. (There are a few folks affiliated with them that put me on edge) Aquahump is one to hold a grudge when he feels his o-ring being stretched and I can see where he is coming from with the gouging thing..... I've said similar thing about them at one time or another....

I won't get into my beef with Salty Dog as it is a personality thing; but, I've received awesome intruction and mentoring from Alex at Dudas', excellent customer service from Dan at Dudas's, and Mark at Dudas' is great to talk to about diving and looks sexy in his flip flops. (in a straight way........) If they could be at all competative price-wise I'd have their plates on my car. I've also been given good info and great service from John at NESS. It just takes me damn near 4 hours round trip to visit his shop.

Long story short, Aquahump is not a scammer. He is a firefighter wannabe sissy medic, but not a scammer.

Dave

crisis_12:
Maybe he is not burning his bridges by bashing his LDS??? I would even use a crappy shop as my "Save-A-Dive" shop.... So, before you say he is spewing BS, take the time to consider his perspective.

Long story short, Aquahump is not a scammer. He is a firefighter wannabe sissy medic, but not a scammer.

Dave

I don't think I ever suggested AH was a scammer. And I have no objection to putting in a good word for your LDS. I was just pointing out that there are ways that might be done that make it look like you are an LDs employee representing yourself as just a regular customer. Or at least quite happy to let other think that. And I never said AH was spewing BS. I said that posts like the original one may be a hoax perpetrated by an LDS employee (or owner) and it sounds like advertising BS.

Yes, having a GREAT, not just good LDS is a real treat, too many guys want to just sell all they can to newbs and not bother to build a mutually beneficial relationship with the customer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom