Online vs. Local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I deal with lds and online but my lds will do over phone that was in Panama City Beach I have since moved to St. Augustine www.divelockerpcb.com is who I used he gives me a 25 % discount on all merchandise becaused he certified me I figure with discount its about same as shopping online most of time.

St_Augustine_Diver_62:
I deal with lds and online but my lds will do over phone that was in Panama City Beach I have since moved to St. Augustine www.divelockerpcb.com is who I used he gives me a 25 % discount on all merchandise becaused he certified me I figure with discount its about same as shopping online most of time.

Talking about shipping, I guess nobody would recommand anybody to buy regulator like that... does not do good to the regulator. Then the cost, let me use an example, go online with a online dive shop, say, but a DIN->yoke adaptor Apeks cost $35 shipment US $20, 20/35 => around 51% is paid for the shippment. It's a relatively good senario already. Let's say I am having my vacation in Thailand and need the same item, special order, $70. This is the case for this online dive shop only, you may want to check your online dive shop, then if I say it's like Amazon, I guess many people would understand what I mean. Do you understand why they can give you a discount on the shipment only if you buy more books?

However, I am not saying online shopping is bad, just maybe we always need to calculate the cost of shipment, and worse case, like incorrect item being sent, or an item almost the same or demage cover by insurance etc....

When you deal with this question it is important that you do so from an even playing field. I support my LDS at the level I choose, based on my needs and feelings. I go to less expensive avenues when I find that appropriate.

You need to know is that at list (MSRP) almost all dive gear is marked up 100% to 110%. Smaller items are marked up more, that little item by the register may well be 500%. So when you buy that BC that lists at $450 you can bet that there’s about $225 going to the LDS if you pay MSRP. If you got 25% off because you took a class there then the LDS makes $112.50. Now a hundred dollars, or two hundred dollars, or whatever, may be appropriate or not, it depends on what you perceive as value received.

But, when a LDS says that the thing you want is a special order item and they want cash up front, you need to realize that they have no investment in carrying that item in inventory, or having a sample there for you to see, or a demo for you to try, I’d look for a discount that brings it down to internet prices - or I’d recommend buying it on the net. On the other hand a brink-and-mortar operation has higher expenses for rent, utilities, help, etc. If you hang out there and enjoy the facility you need to support it or it will go away.

When you walk into a shop (as I did last week in Key West) and they want $4.50 for a snorkel keeper ... well, then you need to decide if you're going to deal with that kind of piracy, or move on down the street.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of times that this subject comes up, and every time it does, it ALWAYS brings in page after page of posts.

For the original poster, it sounds like the LDS is a perfect fit for their situation. The one shop certified them, has sold them most of their gear, has been very gracious (and smart) about servicing gear that wasn't purchased from them, sets up travel for them, comes close to internet pricing, etc, etc.

I have a slightly different situation, and a mix of various local and not so local dive shops and the internet is what is working out for me. I do day and weekend trips for my diving, and frequent several different shops. Several of my big ticket items (single BP/W, can light, computer) have come from the internet. I have had a couple of issues with these items, but the sellers have always done whatever needed to make things right.

All of my regs, wetsuits, fins, masks, and pretty much all of the rest of the assorted crap that I have has come from LDSes, and I have managed some nice prices on most of it.

Service I do pay rather well for, and I don't argue the issue. Overall, it has worked well for me.

I can see that you're from Florida, there are more dive shops in Florida than in many other states. The discount they can offer may not be the same as in some other states.
In N. Calif, we really need to wait for the big sale, twice a year or so.
When I travel out of the country, I can even bargin items for a great price, but back in N. Calif. fewer dive shops, less bargins. That's my impression, if you are in N. Calif. and feel that this is not true, pls show me how I can get gears with great price.

Yes, Florida does have it's share of diveshops, and probably a part of somebody else's share as well. I am sure that all of the competition helps to keep prices down and customer service up. Areas where there are fewer customers and as a result have fewer diveshops don't have the competition, plus the shops are probably not moving as high a volume, so they need higher profit margins on the sales they do make to stay in business. These shops need to offer excellent,top shelf service to make up for the difference between their prices and the internet retailers.

The problem that I've encountered when going to shops here in S. Florida is that out of 4 shops that I've visited, only one had a good customer service.

One was annoyed by questions.

The other just ignored me when I walked into the shop (I may look like a bum sometimes, but I guess the Atom on my hand will show I'm not that poor).

The 3rd one gave me a very bad service (to my reg).

The 4th one was expensive but worth every cent.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add - the 5th one refused to talk to me because I had less than 100 dives.. (maybe because its a professional shop for technical divers).

Nice to see a thread that wasn't all about bashing the backbone of the industry.

When I finally found my LDS (4th one from my previous shop), I wanted to buy tanks, he gave me a quote and I told him I'd like to be honest with him and that I can get those tanks much cheaper, he said - in that case, get them, I told him that I'll be happy to bring it to him to attach the valves, do the VIP etc' and he can take whatever he thinks is logical for this, he agreed with me, which makes me think - he probably wouldn't make much profit selling me those tanks if he agrees to prepare my new tanks - from online store - for diving at a small fee.

I don't understand why he couldn't get the same tanks at a lower price than I got them and sell it to me at the cost of shipping - that will make him a lot more profit than to set up the tanks for diving... something is fishy in this industry when LDS tells you to get tanks online...

I use the LDS where I was originally certified and have a great relationship with them. I think that is the key. I occasionally buy something at their price, but if I am shopping for a higher dollar item (reg, bc, etc.) they will usually match any internet price I find (as long as it is the same line they carry). They in turn work a deal with the supplier for their restock order to cover the discount. Everybody is happy that way.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom