Online vs. Local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanks are a funny thing, they're cheap if you buy an entire pallet, but by the one or two the're rather expensive. Most shops can't afford to tie up the cash for a whole pallet, so they're often happy to send someone elsewhere. I've seen times where a big shop will be selling tanks for less than a small shop can get them from the distributor and so the small shops will buy one or two for their showroom. Other gear does not work this way since you commit to a yearly "buy" which determines your price collumn, so ordering one regulator or BC does not cost more than the six you got at the start of the season.

i have used both online and lds but i find if you buy online most lds shops are reluctant to service your online gear. i recommend you buy non life support gear from online stores. bc's , regs are something that i have serviced 2 times a year. i do over 500 dives a year so my equipment must be up to snuff. i fortunately have a local dive store that will service online equipment for me. shop where ever you are goign to save the most money. if online offers warranty equal to lds then your still goign to have to send equipment back no matter what. one example i just helped a guy rig up his reg with guages and computer. he brought the reg, and guage package at the local lds. it was 500 bucks . i sold him a computer i had for a back up 180 bucks total 680. i went online and shopped around . i got the same new reg( with warranty) a new guage package and computer for under 400 bucks.
what would you do?

Any shop that doesn't want to service gear that is bought online, is, IMO, making a mistake. Why would they not want to make money servicing gear, regardless of where it is bought? Why would they want to alienate a customer that very likely might make another purchase while they are in the store?

NightRaven77:
No shares ...no job with them....just diving...

I know its hard to believe seeing what has been written...but its true...

The other day me and another dive buddy of mine were joking around to see whom spent more money in the dive shop....They had an accumulated total of everything I had bought since I started buying equipment there...$13,000....in just 5 years...thats gear...travel...small stuff..repairs..junk like that...

If I had any vested shares in the place...I sure wouldnt of paid that much over the past 5 years now would I?

The only way I help is putting his website in my signature....thats it...He has the only reputable diveshop in the area...at least from what Ive seen ...

Just appreciation...believe it

Your point is well taken. Only one comment. $13,000 in 5 years? Checkenfeed my boy. I'm spending that on trips this year alone. Eat your heart out!! LOL.

alo100:
Talking about shipping, I guess nobody would recommand anybody to buy regulator like that... does not do good to the regulator.

You mean to tell me that given what a regulator is engineered to endure that shipping it via UPS or FedEx in a well padded box is going to somehow inflict harm on that regulator? That just makes no sense to me. Regulators may be life support equipment, but they are also designed to withstand an incredible amount more punishment during regular use than they will being shipped. Also, how do you think your LDS gets them?

alo100:
Then the cost, let me use an example, go online with a online dive shop, say, but a DIN->yoke adaptor Apeks cost $35 shipment US $20, 20/35 => around 51% is paid for the shippment.

I purchase the vast majority of my "stuff" online and have it shipped, and I say "stuff" because it is beyond more than just Scuba. I'm talking about books, electronics, vacuum cleaners, etc., etc. I would NEVER pay shipping costs that high. Rarely do I see them that high, but when I do I take my business elsewhere. Also, don't forget that at least here in the states the cost of shipping is typically offset by the lack of sales tax. Of course, we all meticulously keep track of our online purchases and pay the state the sales tax they say they're "due" at the end of the year when we file our state income tax. Sure we do. :wink:

I never place an order online until I have "batched up" enough items to make the shipping economical. Some online vendors still offer free shipping (Dive Rite Express) and the others I use all have very reasonable shipping charges.

In my experience, I don't think the argument of the cost of shipping v. buying at the LDS (and paying for the gas to get there and the local sales tax) really holds up.

Divin'Hoosier:
You mean to tell me that given what a regulator is engineered to endure that shipping it via UPS or FedEx in a well padded box is going to somehow inflict harm on that regulator? That just makes no sense to me. Regulators may be life support equipment, but they are also designed to withstand an incredible amount more punishment during regular use than they will being shipped. Also, how do you think your LDS gets them?

I purchase the vast majority of my "stuff" online and have it shipped, and I say "stuff" because it is beyond more than just Scuba. I'm talking about books, electronics, vacuum cleaners, etc., etc. I would NEVER pay shipping costs that high. Rarely do I see them that high, but when I do I take my business elsewhere. Also, don't forget that at least here in the states the cost of shipping is typically offset by the lack of sales tax. Of course, we all meticulously keep track of our online purchases and pay the state the sales tax they say they're "due" at the end of the year when we file our state income tax. Sure we do. :wink:

I never place an order online until I have "batched up" enough items to make the shipping economical. Some online vendors still offer free shipping (Dive Rite Express) and the others I use all have very reasonable shipping charges.

In my experience, I don't think the argument of the cost of shipping v. buying at the LDS (and paying for the gas to get there and the local sales tax) really holds up.

I was checking "diveIxn" (not in US), there are many tech divers using it. I checked the shipping cost by entering the zip code, anybody can try it and would see the cost for shipping. I was attracked by it because if otherwise, I needed to wait for the LDS for their next shipment if I want to get the item. The list price online was fair, but the cost of shipment changed my mind.

About getting regulator online, this is what I've read from this forum, please check.

alo100:
I was using "diveIxn" not in US, but there are many tech divers using it, I checked the shipping cost by entering the zip code, anybody can try it and will see the cost for shipping. I was attracked by it because I need to wait for the LDS for their next shipment if I want to get the item locally, and the list price online was fair, but the cost of shipment changed my mind.

I didn't catch the fact that you are OUS. (You might want to fill in your profile so that we know where you're coming from) I'm sure that changes the shipping rates. My argument was for US shipping. I'll admit that I don't have any experience with OUS shipping rates.

alo100:
About getting regulator online, this is what I've read from this forum, please check.

Thanks for adding more details. Interesting. I'll keep and eye out. I've read a great deal about regulators on SB and I don't recall anyone making an argument that shipping a regulator is a bad idea. From what I can tell, it's done frequently. There are even folks here (and on DecoStop) who send their regs in for yearly service. I'd be very interested to see the justification behind such an argument.

I ordered a wing domestically, don't want to mention any brand name yet (beyond scope), from east coast to Calif. $12 for around 6, 7 pounds, reasonable indeed, but the fact is, the manufacturer told me that he does NOT really gain money from charging shipping (thanks! and unlike amazxn case) but others might.
It's because I travel around quite oftenly, I try to measure the cost and figure out where and how I can optimize -- just like anybody else. Sometimes the result is not exactly the same as what I thought. Different items made domestically or elsewhere, distribution of price globally by the manufacturers, lds Florida/lds California.... etc. This explained why we all have a bit different point of views, nevertheless, the more factors we mentioned, I think the picture would be more complete.
Hey, I also do not think that I can get a complete picture by myself, so, it's a pleasure to chat with all of you here.

Divin'Hoosier:
I didn't catch the fact that you are OUS. (You might want to fill in your profile so that we know where you're coming from) I'm sure that changes the shipping rates. My argument was for US shipping. I'll admit that I don't have any experience with OUS shipping rates.

Thanks for adding more details. Interesting. I'll keep and eye out. I've read a great deal about regulators on SB and I don't recall anyone making an argument that shipping a regulator is a bad idea. From what I can tell, it's done frequently. There are even folks here (and on DecoStop) who send their regs in for yearly service. I'd be very interested to see the justification behind such an argument.

Ain't no such thing as an LDS in Laramie, Wyoming. But I have made the mecca down to Colorado and established a relationship with one of the shops for servicing of regs and such. Virtually all my gear purchases these days are on-line. I use the dive shops to see/touch/feel the stuff and then I generally price it on-line and grab the best deal. Saves me lots of time money and gas.

'Slogger

If I look at gear in a diveshop, take an diveshop employee's time to discuss it with me, etc, the diveshop gets a definite advantage in the price comparison vs. online when I make my final buying decision. At that point I am receiving value from the shop that I just can't get online, value that I personally feel that I need to be willing to pay more for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom