Online vs. Local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel sorry for people who do not have a good LDS. I understand their problem. Not all dive shops are great....

$13,000...Whew...Is a rebreather included in there somewhere:)

rawls:
$13,000...Whew...Is a rebreather included in there somewhere:)
Nope...

Most of it is travel.....Here in Ohio where I learned how to dive is strictly cold water diving.....which was great when I started...but ever since I went to Key Largo for the first time and dipped my toes in 82 degree water....I was hooked carribean diving....

80/80 diver I am...and 80/80 diver I forever will be...

NightRaven77

Well, I do have good local dive shops, but they diference in price here is huge, I bought a Tusa Regualtor package for $369 USD, in my LDS only the Tusa RS-130 second stage is $400 USD!!! The whole package was about $800 USD!!!

So, you see why I bought that on the internet?

I cannot find any lds around which can really get me a good price.
There are only two ways to get products with good price around here:
1. Wait for the big sale.
2. Know somebody.
I can only say that there are certain items I would buy from lds, and certain items I would definitely buy them somewhere else.

Yes, I can see that many people are saying they can get good deals online.
Well heard, my feedback is, as long as Paypal is not involved. I brought something good online too, so as long as the transaction is fine, it's ok. Imagine that Paypal is not within the same state as you live, your small claim court cannot help you too much, period.
Some of the items, e.g. wetsuite, mask... obviously, we need to try them out at lds before we can go online.

Finally, when I travel around, I would usually compare the prices of different dive gears, I can find different brand names, as well as lower prices being offered in different countries around the world, sometimes special editions being sold only in a certain coutry e.g. SP jet fins has a special version outside US.

Hi,

Ive been wondering for a long time if I should buy a reg on internet or not.
So I started by looking at diveshops. Here its very cold, so you have to buy great regs to dive, and if you dive seriously even better.

So I looked at a dive shop, they had Scubapro. Cool
X650 with MK15af + Gauge + Inflation Hose 1100$ + 15% tax.
...expensive... ok

went to another dive shop
Apeks ATX 50 (first stage & second) 1500$ + 15% tax...
ok...way expensive.

another one
Zeagle Basic one dont remember the name 800$ + 15%

the rest sold rec diving regulators, and I want to take Icediving classes next winter so I said no to those regs.

And then I went on Internet:

Started looking at Scubatoys and other

Scubatoys had the Zeagle one a kit for 600$ + 1.2 for rate

Leisurepro (i didnt look too much they have no warranty)

and finally I bought a

Apeks XTX-200+ FSR + XTX-40 + Inflator + Gauge 830$ CND on my credit card
here the same thing would have been 2500$ without the tax.

LDS vs Online . For 2/3 of the price, its not a bit cheaper its THE CHOICE.

And I bought a Chute 3 used for 200$

Hell internet just saved me 2400$ and Id say, ahhh no lets help the LDS.
I say what you can have on internet way cheap buy it there. But for a 50 bucks, bargain a bit and buy it.

But you have to consider, Masks, Fins, Wetsuits and such.
You have to try them on
I would tell you to buy them at a LSD, I did.

Seraphimx:
Hi,

So I started by looking at diveshops. Here its very cold, so you have to buy great regs to dive, and if you dive seriously even better.

...expensive... ok

ok...way expensive.

another one

the rest sold rec diving regulators, and I want to take Icediving classes next winter so I said no to those regs.

and finally I bought a

I say what you can have on internet way cheap buy it there. But for a 50 bucks, bargain a bit and buy it.

You have to try them on
I know...its tough...

The almighty dollar takes control over all of us at times...especially in this sport....

I guess I look at the intangables that my LDS gives me....

I wonder why manufactures of scuba diving gear suggest high MSRP prices that give the high margin and high expense of the sport....therefore giving us all the impression from time to time that we are getting raped on price when you can save $2400 like in your case...

It would be intresting to know how these internet sites are wheeling and dealing with manufacturers in order to sell their products so cheaply? Why wouldnt they give the LDS's the opprotunity to sell them the gear that cheap...after all...the LDS's are the liveblood of the sport.....they teach the sport...inturn sales for supporting the sport happen....is it because the amount they are selling that gives them the price reduction?? maybe selling so much....gives them kickbacks ....

I have heard about warranties are voided if buying gear online.....From what I understand....ScubaPro doesnt support online sales of it gear and wants you to buy from you LDS....

Hmmmmm....interesting discussion we have here...

NightRaven77

A real issue between the money you work hard for and the need to have dive professionals in your vicinity, especially in smaller cities. When you have a problem and need it fixed quickly or want to take a class, you are glad the LDS is there. However, not everyone is made of money and the cash saved by shopping the internet can be a down payment on a trip.

I am sure that somewhere in the middle there is support for the LDS with purchase of your life-dependent gear and the internet for some of your other needs (few die from defective wet suits). This of course assumes that you have at least a decent LDS and some "extra" money.

I do not always feel comfortable surfing on line shops, but hey, its my money.

How was the shipment cost?

Seraphimx:
Hi,

...expensive... ok

ok...way expensive.

another one

and finally I bought a

You have to try them on

Back
Top Bottom