OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yet I’m very concerned given the amount of time and how rapidly problems increase with assent, that I’d be drug along faster than I could catch up to someone with a deeper, stronger urge. Plus they had a head start.

At this point it’s not relevant to me because I don’t have a long hose

Sorry, it sounded that way.

Apology accepted with no hard feelings. Sometimes we see only what we want to see, no?:D
Yes my rant is due to frustration. Frustration from having to weed through so much crapola to locate opinions concerning the issue.

Size 7 type seems to be easier to understand...

Actually, I happen to agree with you. A long hose, if someone panics and grabs it.. and bolts, you are in a serious problem. Space is not your friend at that point. I have never seen anyone take fins off a madly kicking person.. would be interesting to try.

If you control that distance... no big deal, but you need to know to do that really, really fast.

And just so everyone understands, they grab on the surface, not underwater. You can be inches away and in no direct danger (as long as your octo works) but hit the surface and you had better be out of hand's reach (behind if short hose). I would like the 15 hose on the surface.

What I find a bit more interesting is that, somehow, this thread gets people to "panic", just by writing some individual words.

Imagine what would happen in a real situation.

Sadly, it is possible to actually practice panic situations, but it can be very dangerous. Any of my students can tell you that. I don't think most would like the outcome.

redrover:
Oh, for crying out loud. I never said, meant to indicate or visualized anyone could think I felt ‘using a long hose is the wrong thing to use’.
I said Nemrod had what I felt was a good point – and my concerns someone grabbing my primary and bolting up could get further away than I could catch up to to gain control of the situation. The long hose is not the point, distance is the point. It brought to my mind how crucial rapid recognition and response is. If I continue to use a short hose it certainly won’t be because I might find a long one unfavorable in one particular disaster scenario. I have absolutely nothing against anyone using a long hose, and consider it for myself. Frankly I cannot grasp why anyone would accuse me of repetitively insisting I think it wrong.

The hostility I spoke of is statements made not to me, well up until post #222 and #223, but to others offering possible actions to resolve a situation. They were not (I’m paraphrasing) ‘I disagree with you’ but ‘you’re an idiot. I find them tediously repetitive, suspect they prevent others from sharing their opinions that are not be in line with the preceding flow and reduce discussion scope. For example; it’s hard for me to get my fins off sitting still on dry land, they are a tight fit. Consequentially, I wouldn’t have considered trying to get someone else’s frantically moving fins off. I still think it will not be my first line of action but definitely now will be something to keep in mind as a possible solution. I don’t think nor imply Cracked Conch is right or wong, an idiot or the best piece of advice I received. It is something to consider if it is any of the above or anywhere in between, therefore of value.

Vayu:
Maybe that is contributing to his panic. Your buddy just recieved a reg that has no bubbles coming out of it and may not even be working. Give him your primary regulator. The fact that you were just breathing from it will help him keep the cool.

So, two out of air divers in a air share / buddy breathing are better than one, where one is already in a state of panic? Will you get your primary back? Or will you get stuck with your non functioning octo? :confused:

The OOA diver is in an emergency and must breath. This is why I will hand off a regulator I was just breathing from. If the other regulator does not work I am in a better position to solve the problem than a diver that is already out of gas.

It is likely both regulators will be functioning. I have checked both before the dive and checked both already in the water. If not, we can buddy breath.

My point was that the freaking buddy knows it is working. It is a sure thing they will breath and that is the main thing that is going to help with the panic. If for some reason they manage to freak out with my longhose while we both have regulator failures... well... at least we are headed up.

I am sure many here are with me. If out of gas I would much prefer and in fact insist that my buddy hand off the primary to me. I am not interested in what devices he or she may have hidden away in their "magic triangle".

Vayu:
I am sure many here are with me. If out of gas I would much prefer and in fact insist that my buddy hand off the primary to me. I am not interested in what devices he or she may have hidden away in their "magic triangle".

If you mean grab his primary... that is all I have ever seen people do. Never seen anyone go for the Octo in a real OOA situation. Don't think they see the other Reg , actually.

However, this thread is about being dragged to the surface, so in that case, after you grab their primary, you now don't care if he or she even has air. If he now has a problem, he had better be prepared with a pony, because you sure are not going to give it back. Good news, though, you are also rocketting to the surface, so fresh air is only seconds away.

darkpup:
I'm glad we could agree on something today.

~ Jason

Hmmm, does that violate the terms of service??? :D

Maybe we should throw altitude and an enriched gas into the debate? :shakehead

Thalassamania:
Risk of DCS from missing safety stop ... approaching zero. Risk of submerging ... somewhat greater. Y'ze payze y'r money ... Y'ze takes Y'er chances,

If it's just a safety stop, I'd agree there's very low risk of a DCS problem. The original post didn't include the time at depth or prior events.

Steve_Dives:
Hmmm, does that violate the terms of service??? :D

Maybe we should throw altitude and an enriched gas into the debate? :shakehead

Hehehe... Now that's good. And after the dust settles from that one, we should wrap it up with a chat on flying after diving just to keep things interesting.

~ Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom