What do you do when donating to a panicked diver who initiates a buoyant ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I'm assuming standard recreational diving equipment.
The OP didn't specify it wasn't the case.

Done that. Twice. (Mask remove/replace skill both times.)
I inserted my fingers in the student mouth for forcing exhalation during a panic ascent...
It worked!

This might be hard to believe but I dealt with a panicked buddy on the first dive of my life. My wife and I took a class with some of her work friends, including her boss (the OOG diver). At the end of the course, we are in the lovely (sarcasm) St-Lawrence river for the final in water 33ft tests. Once completed, we are all certified and the instructor decides to bring us for a quick tour around the area. We're at the bottom, no more than a minute under way and I feel a tug on my fin. I turn and he's looking at me with huge eyes and no reg in his mouth. I completely forgot about my spare reg, I grabbed his shoulder strap and put my reg in his mouth. Thankfully he didn't bolt, we just slowly ascended and shared the one reg back and forth. He later explained that he couldn't get any air from his reg, but I don't see how that could be.

This might be hard to believe but I dealt with a panicked buddy on the first dive of my life. My wife and I took a class with some of her work friends, including her boss (the OOG diver). At the end of the course, we are in the lovely (sarcasm) St-Lawrence river for the final in water 33ft tests. Once completed, we are all certified and the instructor decides to bring us for a quick tour around the area. We're at the bottom, no more than a minute under way and I feel a tug on my fin. I turn and he's looking at me with huge eyes and no reg in his mouth. I completely forgot about my spare reg, I grabbed his shoulder strap and put my reg in his mouth. Thankfully he didn't bolt, we just slowly ascended and shared the one reg back and forth. He later explained that he couldn't get any air from his reg, but I don't see how that could be.
Probably his valve was not fully open. Did your wife get a raise?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom