Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No, it looks like crap to me

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes, I am a geek and want to see the gear used in the movie

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll see it because I'm interested to see 1) their gear and 2) all the things they do wrong so I can make fun of them later. The storyline looks stupid (Another "Perfect Storm" if you ask me) and it seems like some sort of propaganda from the government with subliminal messaging in it, but I'm up for that so long as I can laugh out loud at all the stupid things they're undoubtly going to do/say while/about diving.

<33 Jess

I saw the movie this evening and I have some positive and negative things to say about it.

First and foremost, I am a newer diver with only 30 warm water dives, so I am not speaking from a TON of experience, but here are my observations.

1. The divers had their "open water" certifications and thought they had enough experience to break away from a group in an area that they presumably had not dove before. I view the open water cert as an "entry level" certification into diving. I received mine a few years ago, and I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that I am qualified to go out on my own with a dive buddy who has the same amount of experience in waters that I am not familar with.

2. The divers did not have any emergency equipement with them, I.E. no safety sausage, strobe light, noise making device etc etc etc

3. And this is just a personal observation on my part, it wouldn't really be considered a mistake.....but I try to get to know the people a little bit that I am diving with. That includes the other vacationing divers, the divemaster, and the captain on the boat. The charachters in the movie basically for the most part kept to themselves, and when it was time for the boat to leave, nobody missed them.

4. In the movie, one of the charachters said that divers being left at a dive site is more common than most people think. I couldn't find any evidence to support that online, and the dive operators I have been with have either used a whiteboard, put peoples names up on it, and checked the names off as divers returned, or had a clipboard with signed insurance waivers to double check. I am sure it has happened more than once, but I doubt it happens as often as the film would want it's viewers to believe. I imagine that dive operations are like most other things in life, there are always a few bad apples. Of course, there are also message boards like this that one can go to, to get opions on those operations.

On a good note, the movie didn't make sharks out to be monsters lurking in the waters waiting for human flesh. Also, in the movie they did go over some hand signals, and little safety things like having a snorkel, or your regulator in your mouth until you exit the water.

Overall, it was a cheaply made film, and I think in the long run it probably won't hurt the diving community. It won't keep me out of the water, but before going on that next dive, I will be purchasing a safety sausage/strobe light, and it might convince other divers to do so as well.........

People being left in the water has happened a few times. I'm happy to hear that it didn't make the sharks out to be the big-bag-nazi's of the sea. Were there any obviously stupid things they did? When I go to see this I am going to sit there and point out everything they do wrong lol just to prove how preventable it was.

Maybe this is my ignorance talking, but I don't think a strobe light will do much. It's 5am and I'm still awake, so excuse my, stupidness for lack of a better word, but those whistle things that are suppossed to be wicked loud -- get one of those, they're a better investment, IMHO. I need to get a sausage. My dad has one but as I don't always dive with him, I think I need one too.

<33 Jess

I just saw this movie last night and to the chagrin of my fiance' who doesn't dive, I was always saying, don't do that, shouldn't have done that. STUPID! AH!

I will tell you the things that I thought they did wrong. and I dont feel that these will spoil the movie.

1) NO ONE on the boat listened to the so called dive briefing. It was short and not very safe in my opinion.

2) The two main character divers touched an eel. I was always taught that you don't ride, handle, or maim the fishies.

3) They surface and there are two boats in the water, and they argue about which one is their boat. Just get on a damn boat!

4) Sharks were not portrayed TOO bad, but there were ALOT of them. I have yet to dive with sharks, but I thought that they were fairly docile and didn't like the taste of neoprene.

I could tell you more, but for those who want to see it, I won't. See it, and judge for yourself.

Think I'll go and see it today - my boat dive got cancelled so I may as well console myself. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom