Open water =}

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an underwater photographer tell me also that on the reef, carnivores - apex predators - move quickly, so if you're moving quickly, that's what the reef occupants think you are, and they leave.

Whereas if you move slowly, stop here and there etc., you are behaving like a herbivore, so the reef occupants are less likely to move away.

Never heard that one but it makes some sence.
But wouldn't that make you a potential prey,for the fast movers.:D

Last edited:
HAHAHA
Cannonballs!
GOod ideaaaa!

Oh btw...I lost my fins in the pool and know known for losing them...and today i lost a fin in the water ¬.¬!! Hahahaha and also lost my snorkel!!!

But wouldn't that make you a potential prey,for the fast movers.:D

I don't think he thought it through that far......

Oh btw...I lost my fins in the pool and know known for losing them...and today i lost a fin in the water ¬.¬!! Hahahaha and also lost my snorkel!!!

Your LDS is gonna LOVE you.:rofl3:

Oh btw...I lost my fins in the pool and know known for losing them...and today i lost a fin in the water ¬.¬!!

These should solve the problem.:wink:
Innovative Scuba Stainless Steel Spring Straps - Pro Model

Hahahaha and also lost my snorkel!!!

Now that has to be living a Scubaboard cliche. There are some who say that once you've finished OW, you can lose the snorkle permanently....if you do a search on snorkle vs no snorkle you'll see what I mean. Myself, I keep a folding one in my drysuit pocket.

:shakehead: you just ruined a good continues sale for her LDS.:rofl4:

I lost my snorkel!! BECAUSE! I had it on my mask...then the instructor took it off....and shoved it between the shorty and wetsuit!
So it fell out while i was swimming!

SURE,it's allways the instructor.:shakehead: :D

I should know,I'm one.:rofl3: :rofl3:

• Don't ditch any weight yet. You are not comfortable dumping air, or with buoyancy, so best be too heavy than too light. If you feel you are massively over-weighted (likely you are) then discuss that with the instructor. However instructors overweight new divers for a reason, and that is because they generally don't have polished skills! :wink:
  • I generally carry a snorkel with me on dive boats, but rarely use one or dive with one. They are useful when the sea get very rough, and you are stuck waiting on the surface for the boat. For your next purchase, I would suggest a folding snorkel.
  • Mask clearing is a very important skill. Don't learn this so you can perform it for an instructor, learn it because you need to be able to deal with a leaky mask, or one that get's knocked loose. This is likely the skill that screws up the highest percentage of new divers. If you can't do it well, practice it until you can. If you need help, ask the instructor, that is what they do!
  • You need to stay with your buddy. If you are not buddy diving, shame on your instructor, but you BETTER be if you are doing anything beyond dropping to a platform.
  • I don't know the class size, but likely the instructor has a couple students racing ahead, and you dragging behind. An open water student does not make for a great buddy, but buddy skills are important, so best to start early. It will also give you comfort to have someone close by even if they are not skilled. If you can buddy with a DM that is a good way to go. Unless this is a private lesson, get used to the idea that your instructor is dealing with multiple students, and if one freaks out, then he will dealing with ONE student! Instructors have the task of keeping watch on multiple new divers which may not always be easy. They are buddyless, and can not be in two places at once. Don't assume your instructor is Superman, they are not. Do what you can to make your dives safe and stay with the group when possible.

Good luck with the last dives, and welcome to the world of scuba! I just got back from a Live Aboard in S.CA, and am still HIGH from that trip! :D

Back
Top Bottom