Opening up an older bottom timer to get it working (pic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasteve65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is an out-of-business US Tech depth/time/temp gauge. Perhaps only for tinkering purposes, how would I go about opening this up? or can I? It appears that the black back is glued to the unit. I realize it has little to no value, but I would still like to open it up and perhaps get it working. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• PB080013.JPG
    PB080013.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 550
My understanding is that you have to replace the mineral oil inside them, which is messy but doable. HOWEVER, once the power is disrupted they will not work again even with a new battery, so the procedure must be done carefully and before it is truly dead.

From the picture, it looks like there is an O-Ring on just behind the face, which would make me tend to think that the clear face and black back unscrew.

While not the same, I have an old Sherwood bottom timer that I have had apart for battery replacements many times, and that continues to work.

If it won't work after a battery change, how did it work in the first place? That statement frankly makes no sense at all . . . Especially considering that this was back when software on stuff like this was mostly regarded as a bad idea - all implementations were in hardware, so what is to be lost on a power failure? Worst case, find the reset contacts to light it up again . . .

Myself, I'd give it a try as well. Absolutely nothing to lose . . .

- Tim

Hi Tim. No O-ring. It's glued shut. Look up at the earlier link from Texfrazer. It's exactly the same as those pictured by the author. I'll probably open it up just the same. It makes sense about them going completely dead. Built in obsolescence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom