opinions needed on my noobie gear choices...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also recommend you to seriously look into a BP+Wing system. Halcyon system are also good. Have been very happy with mine.

www.halcyon.net.

It's like I tell all my new dive buddies:
First of all, welcome to the sport! Second of all; there are very few absolutes and certainties when it comes to equipment choices! All of the SCUBA-brethren here that told you to rent/test float first, in my arrogant opinion, are the ones who gave you the best advice. Wait a second! All of the post said that (one way or another) didn’t they!??! LOL....guess I just wanted to join in on the chorus!
Oh yeah and welcome to my favorite EXSPENSIVE vice! Man this sport will make you gladly spend a F$$$$ng fortune and be excited about doing it! Maybe if I switch to nitrox I can get over this "spending narcosis? Uh...wait doesnt that cost more too?

I would also suggest a BP/W. For the Comp Suunto is a good choice. I like wrist mount but used to love the Cobra. I have never used Atomic regs but know a lot of people who do and they have nothing but good things to say. You may want to check out Scubatoys though. The prices and service are great as well as 10% off for being a scubaboard member. Check out the Oxycheq Mach V with a Oxycheq (Koplin) plate. But there are many good BP/W makers out there. For plates Hammerhead is about the best priced out there. You get an STA (single tank adapter) in addition for the same price as most others sell their plates for.

If you like the Scubapro Knighthawk go with it. I have one and love it, I prefer it to my BP/W as I hate the one piece web harness digging into me on the surface and prefer the comfort of the Scubapro Knighthawk. I find everyone is different and has their own likes and dislikes so I don't subscribe to the one thing for everybody school of thought. If you are interested in the Knighthawk...try one out if you can.

You might consider buying from a place that has a factory warranty, also. Leisurepro doesn't. At least not on ScubaPro or Atomic gear. Neither of these companies allow sales of their stuff online. You'd be looking at LeisurePro to make good on any warranty issues. You may be fine with that but keep it in mind when buying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom