opinions on DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by pipedope
All I saw looked like a far too obvious troll.
Nah... I don't think so...

I think he is running in such a small circle that he doesn't see the obvious reasons *why*....

I could be wrong though and maybe he is trolling... he wouldn't be the first :wink:

DIR? I've never heard of this DIR thing........please don't tell me about it.. :D

If DIR is good for you, great.....it's not good for everybody......and different people may have different ideas of "Right".. I agree with some GUE philosophies, and I disagree with others.. What I can't stand is somebody telling me why "DIR" is the only "smart" way to dive..

Does this mean that my buddies that are "DIR" are NOT "DIR" while they dive with me?! :confused: :eek:

Mike

I sure appreciate all of the DIR rigging info I've gleaned from this board, especially since my Halcyon SS backplate and wings just showed up today! However, the DIR vs. the World discussion has gotten so tiresome...There are basically no new arguments in the posts above, just recycled (to the point of being threadbare) arguments from previous threads.

I'd like to read more trip reports and discussions of dive sites/boats/techniques and personal experiences. The maneating barnacle story is a Scubaboard classic, although it is somewhat overshadowed by the Warhammer! Not only is it entertaining, but I can actually learn something new. I'll post one myself just as soon as I go diving...

Originally posted by Hal Iotis
However, the DIR vs. the World discussion has gotten so tiresome...There are basically no new arguments in the posts above, just recycled (to the point of being threadbare) arguments from previous threads.
Yeah, I agree....
It feels like round 15 and we are down to slow dancing....

The reason I have not adopted DIR...
As I understand it, DIR preaches minimalism, if that's the right word. Simplify everything, don't over-complicate things. But, they also say to use a long hose (I can't remember if it's 7' or 9'). I'm sure this reccommendation came from the need for divers who are sharing air to swim through a narrow cave single file. Makes sense. But, to say you need a hose that long on an open water rec dive, seems to be a contradiction. IMO, 4' to 5' is long enough for open water, especially in a kelp forest, where you don't want to get too far from your ooa buddy. Anything longer increases the risk of entanglement.
Also, DIR leaves no room for solo diving, pony bottles, and integrated lp inflator/2nd stages. I admit, I haven't read anything from GUE, and if I'm wrong about DIR's tenets, feel free to set me straight. If I was doing the type of diving the WKPP crowd is, I'm sure I would adopt more of the DIR philosophy. But, I don't think it's the best system for every type of diving, and I doubt if it was originally designed to be.
As always, just my own two pennies. Answering why I haven't adopted DIR.

Sumguy-thanks for your responce.

Everyone else-I know some pleople will choose not to, just because.... What I am looking for is some comments and reasons why not to go the dir way, I don't, maybe from people that don't dive DIR.

Kevin Jones

P.S. I don't really care for coffee or tea, I just dive!

Kevin,

In some areas of the country, DIR is either non-existent or is an underground guerilla movement simply due to a lack of information.

Up here in Boston, there are no local DIR-friendly dive shops and no local DIR instruction. As a result, DIR diving is much more the exception than the rule. I first learned about it on-line, met a few local DIR divers and began my DIR "journey".

Also, most mainstream scuba publications don't discuss DIR in any detail....further restricting info.

My $0.02.

-Chris

I'm pretty much in line with sumguy. I'm not a cave diver or any other kind of overhead diver. Most of the diving I do is reasonably shallow and much of it is solo. The kind of gear configuration DIR has would be way "over engineered" for what I do.

If I was doing WKPP type of diving I would most certainly fall in step with them gear wise since they have figured these things out the hard way from what I can tell by reading. No need to re-invent the wheel all over again.

Originally posted by Hal Iotis
So how was Canada? Apologies if I missed it in a different thread...
Exeptional... best ever at a bargain price... and I only paid 1/2...
I put a trip report up over in trips:north america:$100 dive trip...
Or something close to that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom