opinions on DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been searching for an apt mataphor for the true DIR afficianado for over a year now... and I think I have finally found one. Watching a rerun of Star Trek - The Next Generation a few nights ago it dawned on me that there on screen were the DIR bubbas.. in the form of the Borg!
They really do believe that there's no better way to be, indeed, that being any other way isn't worthy of existing in their universe (the water)... and they really, truly can't understand why anyone would prefer freedom over assimilation. After all, they're only doing it RIGHT!
Rick :) :) :)

"Solo diving: proven dangerous, time and again. "

Buddy diving has proven dangerous, time and again, as has cave diving, wreck diving, dry suit diving, etc. Proper training and experience can reduce the risks of any type of diving, but you can never eliminate them.

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
I've been searching for an apt mataphor for the true DIR afficianado for over a year now... and I think I have finally found one.
Shoot Rick... that's older than Scuba Board...
And you will be assimilated.

Gee, I guess he is right, I am not a tech diver so my opinion must not count.
Ever wonder how much commercial diving is done DIR?

NONE!

We do it GTJD.

That is Get The JOB Done. We get the job done with the most appropriate equipment available. The best equipment is not the same from job to job. Sometimes is is a simple scuba rig. Sometimes it is nearly the same except with surface supplied air. Some jobs call for a full face mask with comms. Some call for a lightweight helmet some for heavy. Sometimes the prefered equipment is not available on site so we get the job done with what we have as long as it can be done safely. That is a judgement call made by the diver and dive supervisor on the job.

Can you tell me where and why you would want to use an all metal helmet over a fiberglass superlight? And yes, there are jobs where the Desco air hat and gates shell suit with dry gloves is definately doing it right.

The base reasons and ideas of DIR are great, as is the standard equipment configuration. The problem comes when some people want to take that and raise it to the level of some god like cult, no variations allowed.

OBTW I think even in tech divers there are still more people who don't know what "DIR" is, than ones who do.

Originally posted by pipedope
Gee, I guess he is right, I am not a tech diver so my opinion must not count.
Ever wonder how much commercial diving is done DIR?

NONE!

We do it GTJD.
Michael...
Do you think that a group of tech divers' opinions on how you should GTJD should figure into the decisions made by you and your dive supervisor. Of course not. Tech divers' opinions don't count for much in your circle do they? So why should you bring commercial diving into a discussion about DIR and expect to be taken seriously. But hey... seriously... you commercial guys excel at muddying the waters :wink:

How about the DIR numerical hand signals?
One through 5 are the same as 6 through 10 with only the direction of you hand changing. That is an obvious problem.

I happen to think the Navy numerical hand signals are much better, clearer and easier to use.

Hmmm what is the DIR signal for zero?
Not in the book. But they have a signal for ten. I always thought ten was signed as ONE ZERO.

Actually, the whole thing has become tiresome.

Why if someone was asking for a substantial technical discussion didn't they ask a technical question with substance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom