opinions on DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I better get the jet pump running so I can really muddy the water.
:D

Here is one direct answer to the original question.

Maybe because there are NO DIR divers in the area to buddy with.

Also think about training and equipment.
How many major diver centers in the USA have shops that sell DIR equipment and have DIR instructors on staff with classes available month after month?

Hmmm, no equipment, shops, instructors or classes available locally and no buddies, I guess these things might push DIR down the list a bit.

Originally posted by pipedope
Hey, I better get the jet pump running so I can really muddy the water.
Shoot... from what I've seen you guys don't need a pump for that... just tromping across the bottom in your boots does the job! :wink:

Sometimes (like often) the job is 4' or more down in the mud. Then we get to jet the mud off to get to it.

Hey, the real fun is when you get to call to the surface for them to splash the standby diver with the jet nozzle just to get you out of the mud.
Ho Hummm, just another day at the (wet) office.

Originally posted by pipedope
Here is one direct answer to the original question.

Hmmm, no equipment, shops, instructors or classes available locally and no buddies, I guess these things might push DIR down the list a bit.
As this changes just think how DIR will grow!
Already it is spreading rapidly with only limited resources...
You will be assimilated. :D

First-thanks to all for taking the time to respond:)

A little back ground why I am asking these questions. In the last week alone, I have seen many safty issues that border from kinda acceptable to insanity. Examples, solo diving, ending dives <100psi at one end to using a biomarine CCR on a public safty dive team training dive at the other extreme. When I try to present DIR, as a broad based appoach to better and safer diving, people get mad and will not even discuss the topic.

Where I live in Michigan, there is a community that is willing to share the system, dive shops that sell the desired equipment and water. Just about everything that is needed to make some borg-like DIR converts:) Still people will not even be open to the topic. I am just trying to get a feeling for why it is like this.

I know human nature will keep some people from ever changing. I know I didn't want to change at first, because my system was working, so why change it. Glad I did! Thanks to everyone for the responces annd helping me.

KLJ

DIR is great for Cave Diving and extreme diving. They keep everything the same and uniformed. The fact they some of them want to transfer this over to recreational divers is crazy. They will get someone hurt one day. You can't train millions and millions of divers one way like PADI, NAUI, NASDS, SSI, PDI, SDI, YMCA and more have over the past 40+ yrs. and then all the sudden change your emergency protocal for a few hundred. As far as I'm concerned..They have some great knowledge for me and they have some ideas that I say "Good luck with your adventures" too.

Originally posted by caverkevin
Still people will not even be open to the topic. I am just trying to get a feeling for why it is like this.
Well then Pete was right and this was a general scuba discussions question and not a technical diving question....

Pete come on back here and tell him what he needs to know...

I'm going to ask the other question in another thread....
Sometime.... later....

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom