opinions on DIR diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The number hand signals mentioned earlier are also in the NSS-CDS "Cave Diving Manual". I haven't ckecked but they are probably in the NACD "Hand signals for Cave Diving". I don't have that one. These are not unique DIR hand signals.

There is plenty of great responses (POGR) in this thread. To all who have the real open mind (TROM), my hats of to you (MHOTY).
Doing it right (DIR) is most definetly GREAT fo the Tech Diving community (GFTTDC). For those of you who just want to SCUBA DIVE this is TO much overkill (TMOK). Thankgoodness DIR is in BY FAR (BF) the minority. Millions....Sorry..Tens of millions of divers a yr. get certified to dive the West Pacific, Carribean, etc., etc.... They have ABSOLUTELY NO NEED (ANN) for all that equipment and nonsense. I speak with 19 yrs. experience and 6+ yrs. teaching. Cave diving too. THATS RIGHT. I do not Cave Dive at all anymore simply accidents can happen at any moment and they are increased in a cave. I have a family now that I wouldn't take that chance with of leaving them because I was in a cave. Doing it right truely means ..NO CAVE DIVING But they still do it.
A students panics at 20 ft. doing a skill for the instructor. The student spits out the reg and will not take any other REG. at all. What do you do. Should you give up your primary to the student, then take your eyes off the student so you can contort you neck to hopefully reach for your Octy which is strapped around your neck. Not to mention you now have TWO divers without a REG. WOW ..This is scarry. Then hopefully nothing will snag that strap you have placed your octy on around your neck. If it is to get snagged what then? Do you cut what ever is holding it? What if you cut a hose by accident? Then you go straight up right? OH yeah... Doing it Right...YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GO STRAIGHT UP BECAUSE...Your breathing mixxxxxxeeeedddd gases or in a cave,etc, etc, etc. If you are going to claim to do it right..THEN DO IT...OTHERWISE just hang it up. Good luck with your adventures. You guys have some great points and some I don't want anything to do with.

Originally posted by bengalsmgtsucks
Millions....Sorry..Tens of millions of divers a yr. get certified to dive the West Pacific, Carribean, etc., etc....
Really...
No wild exageration?
That many?
I had no idea that many got certified each year!
Are you telling the truth??
Wow!!
And that's just to dive the West Pacific, Carribean, ect. ect....
How many more get certified to dive cold water?
Truely astounding!!!
Where can I find statistics like this?

Originally posted by bengalsmgtsucks
A students panics at 20 ft. doing a skill for the instructor. The student spits out the reg and will not take any other REG. at all. What do you do. Should you give up your primary to the student, then take your eyes off the student so you can contort you neck to hopefully reach for your Octy which is strapped around your neck. Not to mention you now have TWO divers without a REG. WOW ..This is scarry.

What's scary is that you have no clue what DIR is.

Originally posted by detroit diver
What's scary is that you have no clue what DIR is.
What's absolutely terrifying is that he's a dive shop owner and an instructor, and is spreading this misinformation from a position of authority.

And people wonder why there's so many complaints about bad dive shops. Here's yet another example.

Roak

I will be the first to admit I don't know all the principles of DIR dive philosophy but, everything I have seen here from the DIR advocates has me running in the opposite direction.

The attitude that if you aren't DIR you are dead man walking and the DIR disciples' are the only ones suited to be in the water is a load.

It doesn't work for everyone, stop trying to convert the masses. DIR has become the annoying kids in white shirts and ties on bicycles going door to door of the dive world.

Accept the fact that some are willing to play a bit faster and looser with the rules than you. This is no different than the guy that drives 70 in a 60, does he hurt you no, does he accept more risk yes.

Live and let live.

You'll catch a lot of flack from the internet diver but then what do they know about diving so much your stuff never has a chance to dry out, before and after work each day...living eating and breathing cave and technical diving. Most of these jokers think Eagles Nest is a National Geo Bird Special.

My gear still stays in my car for after work diving. I just fill the doubles right in the back seat. Too bad I am diving Michigan crap and not quality Florida cave. Eagle's Nest??...isn't that a bar somewhere:)

Well maddiver everything you said is correct. I am also starting to pick up on a fear-factor. Fear of differences, learning, change, being uncomfortable, growing and maybe just diving in general. I am starting to think that this fear keeps people stuck in the mud. Stuck so bad they can't get out. Then when someone offers help, it is refused, because that person would not know how to survive being unstuck. This all goes hand-in-hand with being complacent. We both know that complacency KILLS!!!! So ego, fear, complacency and a good pair of dark glasses to keep from seeing the light. I am thinking that is the formula for people to shy away from DIR.

Kevin Jones

Two More points:

1) There is never one right answer, there are always multiple wrong ones.

2) I will say this I am alway willing to learn new things, I am continually reading about new ways to do all sorts things (not just diving). DIR seems to say (again no expert) that everything else is wrong.. see statement 1.

What's the deal with a chase boat for every buddy team. I haven't read this anywhere official and my dealings with DIR instructors/friends hasn't caught me with the where-with-all to ask. Is this really a DIR mandate?
It would be great, but I'm working class and have done a few without a chase boat, although not as happily as I would be with a chase boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom