Opinions on wetsuit diving in NE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado:
Northeastwrecks,
I may try to dive next week in Gloucester with Easy Diver if I can get the chance. Should I just wear all 3 layers until I get something thicker or should I buy something else before I go? Seems like I should be fairly warm with 13mm on me but then again I haven't tested this theory yet.

That depends on what you are doing. Relatively shallow and short shoudn't be a major issue. At best, you'll save some money by not having to purchase a new suit. At worst, you'll need to call the dive early, in which case you'll know that your next purchase is justified.

I started out with a 7mm 2 pc farmer john - I was cold, tried a skin - no go.
I traded 15" lcd monitor for a drysuit - nice but a pain at times - fits like a wetsuit
I then bought a semi-dry at a good price - new - front zip & love it, has abuilt in hood. No more water down my back. I also bought Henderson "dry" gloves. They cut down the water flow a lot, and if put on corrrectly you can stay dry. But kinda tuff to get them on perfect. I also bought dry socks that I put on, then my boots.

If your head, hands & feet are warm you will enjoy the dive MUCH more. I doubt I will ever use wet suit again.

We have a Freez Yer *** off dive every Feb/early March. The 1st 2 years I wore my 3mm, then the 7mm over it - needed a bit of weight but kept me warm
Get a semi-dry at the very least. You usually can't be too warm up here

just as important as the thickness of the suit,( If not more) is the quality of the suit.
i dive a 7mm suit with attached hood 5 mil booties, and gloves, when the water warms up a little ill switch to 3 mil gloves.
a friend is diving a 7 mil suit with a 3 mill hooded vest. 3 mil gloves, and 5 mil boots.
we dove both sat annd sunday in 50 deg. water. and only at the end of the second dive did my fingers start to get a little chilled

I did two dives last Friday with my new Henderson two peice. I have a detatched hood, and my gloves are relatively thick but not overly thivk. Plus I didn't get the insert that you could get for the two peice vest. I was very warm and comfortable. There was some movement of water, but I'd rather have a little more movement of my arms than having to worry about a little movement of water.

But that's just me, and thats why there's over a 1000 different varieties of beer.

If your diving off the Easy Diver, you'll probably end up fairly shallow... Fred generally sticks close to shore. I dove wet in new england for a couple years with a 2 piece 7mm without much issue. The water temps lag by a couple months up here; so it's still fairly cold now; but diveable. You'll be able to get into october on nice days diving wet.

wearing your 3mm underneath might work; it's been cold enough that you won't overheat gearing up... so it's worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom