Orientation of new DIN reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I got my new DIN (first for me) long hose primary (also a first) regulator today.

I'm deciding how I will mount it and route the hoses. Below is a picture of how I received the Reg assembled.

Mounting it with the turret up seems the right thing to do as it protrudes less upwards.
If I do this with the tank valve opening facing the back of my head (are some of you doing it differently and having the tank valve opening face away from your back?), my SPG and secondaries will be all routing on my right side. While with my old setup, I had my console routed to my left.
With my new setup, I can have my BCD hose and air transmitter mounted on the left side of the first stage. This will allow me to keep my computer on my left wrist, same side than the transmitter is on.

Looking forward to any thoughts you have.
Turret up?
OK to have SPG on right side?
Are some divers setting up with the tank valve opening facing away from them to the back?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221027_210359.jpg
    20221027_210359.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 166
If that's a swivel-turret, I'd probably have turret-up, that way it can actually swivel if it needs to.

As far as tank-facing, either way works. If we get nit-picky about pros and cons:
  • Tank-valve facing your head will make your 1st stage and hoses less exposed to overhead entanglements and hazards. It will also slightly reduce hose-length required. Only disadvantage I can think of, is I've bumped my head on my 1st stage once on a BCD I haven't worn in years.
  • Tank-valve facing away from your head may be useful if you ever bump your head on your first stage. Or if you accidentally mount your tank "backwards" in your BCD and are too lazy to rotate it.

SPG can be anywhere you like. Ideally, somewhere you can see it and find it easily. Left/right doesn't matter. Where you clip it doesn't matter. I've seen some people wrap their SPG hose in a sort of wire-protector material, along with a second hose (like the inflator hose) so that it effectively becomes like managing a single hose. (If you want a distraction, look at Sidemount ... the SPGs are down at your sides)

Anyway, short story is it doesn't matter. Long story is these minor changes will be minor optimizations, but aren't really that important for recreational diving.

Personally, I run mine turret down, with the long hose coming out of the 5th lp port. This allows your primary hose to route down your right side, which is a more comfortable run, especially if you are using a 40” hose. For a 7’ hose it may not matter as much.
Also, if you’re using an AI computer, consider ditching the SPG.

Erik

In for knowledge…this is timely, as I was wondering the same thing. Is there an “upside down”? Does the diaphragm have to be on the bottom?

Here's an example of that material I was talking about used to wrap the hoses together.

(I'm not endorsing the brand, product, etc ... it's just the first example I found on amazon).

In for knowledge…this is timely, as I was wondering the same thing. Is there an “upside down”? Does the diaphragm have to be on the bottom?
It doesn't matter. Effectively, it works based on the relative difference in pressure between the water outside, and the air inside. The pressure difference in 1-2 inches of water is meaningless. The weight of the components (gravity) is somewhat irrelevant considering we're dealing with 500 to 3500 PSI, and components that weigh a few ounces.

If that's a swivel-turret, I'd probably have turret-up, that way it can actually swivel if it needs to.

As far as tank-facing, either way works. If we get nit-picky about pros and cons:
  • Tank-valve facing your head will make your 1st stage and hoses less exposed to overhead entanglements and hazards. It will also slightly reduce hose-length required. Only disadvantage I can think of, is I've bumped my head on my 1st stage once on a BCD I haven't worn in years.
  • Tank-valve facing away from your head may be useful if you ever bump your head on your first stage. Or if you accidentally mount your tank "backwards" in your BCD and are too lazy to rotate it.

SPG can be anywhere you like. Ideally, somewhere you can see it and find it easily. Left/right doesn't matter. Where you clip it doesn't matter. I've seen some people wrap their SPG hose in a sort of wire-protector material, along with a second hose (like the inflator hose) so that it effectively becomes like managing a single hose. (If you want a distraction, look at Sidemount ... the SPGs are down at your sides)

Anyway, short story is it doesn't matter. Long story is these minor changes will be minor optimizations, but aren't really that important for recreational diving.

Thanks @SlugMug , very helpful reply. I think I'll go with how the Reg is assembled, swivel turret up, valve facing my back, spg and second stages routed on my right and see how it works out. Shore test dive this weekend.

Personally, I run mine turret down, with the long hose coming out of the 5th lp port. This allows your primary hose to route down your right side, which is a more comfortable run, especially if you are using a 40” hose. For a 7’ hose it may not matter as much.
Also, if you’re using an AI computer, consider ditching the SPG.

Erik
Thanks @RIHappyDiver ! Good point on using the 5th port facing down for the long hose... My long hose is 5 ft so I'll have to see how comfortable the routing is without doing it that way.

Thanks @RIHappyDiver ! Good point on using the 5th port facing down for the long hose... My long hose is 5 ft so I'll have to see how comfortable the routing is without doing it that way.
I don't think I'm going to ditch the SPG though. I like having it as a backup and to glance at the needle while taking a few breaths before jumping in. It's been my routine to ensure my valve is open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom