Oriskany 2nd Anniversary Dive Report 5-17-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it was another great adventure with Gary and his crew. I unfortunalty didnt have that great of a trip. The trip out to the site must of did me in. LOL I was a little green. I was fine during my first dive. Saw lots including the 3 or 4 other divers that RAN into me. I was thinking GEEZ people we are out in this big'ole ocean around this BIG'ole ship and youve gots to bounce into me,,,, ***... I thought you had to have your ADV card to do this dive? Lets not forget to keep a watchful eye out for your surroundings and yes that should include OTHER DIVERS... ok my rant is over whew i feel better now. Anyhow after my dive was over Walter Denise and i headed back topside. I had a bit of air left so i let them exit first. I grabed the ladder on the back of the boat removed my fins and handed them up and thats when it all hit me.... I guess the little bit of being tossed around and bobing at the surface is what sent me over the edge cuz after that when i was aboard i tell you i couldnt get my BC off fast enough before i leaned over the side of our vessel and fed the fishies..... (RALF). I soon realilized i was on the side of the boat whiched faced all the other boats, that was apparent by the applaud and chears i had gotten from the other boats as i fed the fishies..lolol oh well im glad i was able to amuse some other divers. Probably was the bas$%^*s that bounced into me on the dive..lolololol and that was the end of my day. I choose to sit out my 2nd dive cuz i didnt really feel like cleaning puke out of my reg. All in all it was a good trip. Ill take any day good or bad of diving over anyday of work. I managed to feel good enough for a afterdive report to take place at Florabama, WOW what an experience that place was. To tell all would need a whole nother thread im thinking ill stick with the Vegas saying.... " What happens at Florabama stays at Florabama". right Denise? hehehe and on that note ill put to rest my dive report.

Untill next time be safe and keep diving ,
Andreas

Great pics... I'm amazed at how much "life" has showed up on the ship in just 2 years.

I was very amazed at how fast life is growing on this site. There are scallop-like shells attached all over the island and there is growth of various kinds taking hold fast. My pictures don't show it, but there was plenty of fish swarming about and plenty of small life hustling about if you take the time to look for it. I almost wish I could hit the fast forward button and see this site at the five year mark, i'm sure it will be something to see at this rate. Heck, the YDT's have been down for some time and they really don't have alot of growth on them, you can still mostly see all the white paint on them (must be some serious old-school style Navy paint). I guess the position of the Oriskany is helping for life to attach itself to it faster. I know I will always look forward to diving this site in the future.

Last edited:
Walter and Andreas were my dive buddies on the first dive of the day when we splashed in at 9:16 am. The water temp was 70 and there was a bit of current. I hit a max depth of 103 ft with an avg of 69 ft and a total bottom time of 34 minutes. The 2nd dive began at 11:21 am and this time Walter and I had to leave Andreas behind :(. I hit a max depth of 96 ft and an avg of 67 ft and a total bottom time of 34 minutes. Walter's pictures tell the story. We had an awesome time and saw an abundance of sea life and I loved poking my head in the doors and looking in and shining my light in pipes and openings. That is when I found one of your octopus Donna!! I saw a pipe and I thought about your story about playing peek-a-boo with one who lived in a pipe and I decided to take a peek and sure enough, there she was with her little broken shells in front of her. I was so excited I got Walter's attention and he took several pics to share. Capt. Gary and DM John took great care of us and it was fun to holler at folks on the other boats. I counted 7 while we were there. We ended the day at FloraBama with Gary, Linda, Andreas and Kristal and also got to visit with DM Brian and his new wife for a few minutes who had just got married at the beach at 4 pm that day.

I was boat watching and did not get to dive:broken_he
But I can't believe the amount of scalops on the wreck.

Nice pics... The pics show how much fun you had. I can't wait for my trip in late June.

I can't wait for my trip in late June.

Cool, Make sure to post a report from your trip. I hope to get out to the "O" at least one more time this year. I have other places this year that I want to get to. The Chevron is a site I definitely want to go to and Amadus98 and Denisegg sounded interested. I would also like to get out to the 50/50 tug and a few others I have not yet seen. I defintely want to get out again to the YDT's. Man sounds like its time to shut up and start diving!!!!:D

Thanks Joe. The Oriskany is an awesome dive!! We are fortunate to have it so close to us. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom