Oriskany dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report. I'm off to dive the O for the first time tomorrow!! I can't wait. Thanks for the heads up about the vis & temps. Although I doubt I'll make it down to the flight deck it's good to know the temps are in the low 70's. Cold water always takes my breath away and makes me breathe harder, time for a hood or to layer my 1ml +3ml suits.

I'll try to do a quick trip post tomorrow evening.

Cheers

Cajun

Should be around 75 at 110. Looks like we may have a less than perfect dive weekend in the Gulf this weekend. We'll keep everyone up to date.

We moved our dive trip out two weeks to Sept 6/7. Want to get in a couple of shallow dives on Sunday and that is pretty much sure to be "a wash" for this weekend...so why fight it.

Wow the Oriskany was awesome. I have the highest respect for this wreck. I went into this experience thinking that some of those dive shops and charters are too paranoid about this dive, requiring AOW, x logged dives and making you dive with a guide. Although I don't think this is mandatory, I certainly pushed my personal limits and take this kind of diving very seriously. I'm not sure if I was narced or just nervous but at 120 my heart was racing and I had to try hard to keep it together. (Just being honest)

First dive was down to about 120 fsw for 25 minutes using LP 95 and 30% nitrox. The first 40 feet or so had a murk layer but vis opened up on the wreck and was reported as 50 ft +. The thermocline was gradual and I logged 76 deg at depth. On our second dive we stayed above 100 ft and my computer said it was 78 deg.

I was in total awe with this wreck, so I managed to snap a few pictures and see a few other cool things. I didn't feel comfortable about penetrating the wreck just yet, so perhaps on a future dive.

Oh one more thing. I had an interesting equipment failure on the first dive: a fin broke. Yep that pair of old Scuba Pro Gorillas finally gave out. Not a big deal, current wasn't bad so using the broken part as a hand-fin worked fine on the way up. I'm sure glad that I brought an extra pair of fins!

The crew of the H2O Below are fantastic and MBT was great too. They had the LP95's that I wanted and guided me on my nitrox selection taking extra care to get the mix just right.

Finally, my dive buddies were great and it was a pleasure to share this experience with you.

Hope the weather holds out for you folks. I'll be back as soon as I can!

You did 120 ft on EAN 30? Good thing you didn't drop down a foot or two too much...isn't the limit for 1.4 121 ft?

Sounds like you had a great dive. Can you post some of your pictures?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom