Other diving near Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Southern Leyte had whale sharks in season. Probably a better experience than Oslob because they are in their natural environment. I think the season for whale sharks is from about November to April, peaking around January-February. I am actually going there in November to check it out! More for the macro, but if a whale shark wanders by, so much the better!

If you are really motivated, I think it's actually possible to go direct from Malapascua to Leyte. Either hire a private banka, or I think there is a ferry that goes from the northern part of Cebu to the northwestern part of Leyte. It would of course take some time and effort, but I think it is feasible.

It is definitely possible to get that private boat from Malapascua to Leyte, the question is going to be how much, how long it takes and what you're going to do on the other side. it can be done but the question is whether it's worth it...

@Matt, how long are you planning to dive in the Philippines? Earlier this year, we did 6 days at Malapascua and 5 days at Anilao. The macro at Malapascua is actually very good! I saw the very rare hairy octopus, and my friend saw a blue ring at Monad shoal! If you are only planning one week, then I am sure you will be happy with Malapascua. If you have 2 weeks, 1 week at Malapascua is plenty, and you should take the time to try another place. Anilao has the best macro in the world IMHO, but Malapascua and Dumaguete are not too far behind!

Yup, i know a spot on Monad where there are mushroom coral pipe fish and I opted to sit there for 20 minutes trying to get a decent shot of one of them rather than sitting at the Manta station in the afternoon. There are all sorts of manta shrimp and eels on that site too.

I would head to Bohol's Alona Beach for a two dive destination trip. I've done the combination a few times. I usually alternate trips since I like Malapascua so much for a 2 1/2 week trip I do a Malapascua/Alona Beach or Malapascua/Dauin-Apo combo trip.

I am doing a very similar trip in November with a week in Malapascua and 5 days in Anilao. Like yourself, I dreaded the the waste of time off-gassing in between in order to fly from Cebu to Manila to get to Anilao. What I chose to do was to plan on diving the two morning dives at Monad to hopefully see the threshers again on my last day in Malapascua, check out and spend the afternoon and night in Cebu near the airport such that I can fly out the next morning to Manila. This gets me into Anilao by early afternoon such that I can do at least an afternoon and a night dive there. The flight between Cebu and Manila is inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom