Ottawa Dive Shops? Newbie wants to try snorkeling.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian99999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there,

I want to try snorkeling when I go to Hawaii this winter, so I want to buy my own gear. I might also take a course, if I can find one that is a reasonable price.

I live in Ottawa, and I was wondering which dive shops people would recommend? Which ones have you had good/bad experiences at? I am totally new to snorkeling - I have never done it before - so I need to buy fins, a mask, and a snorkel, but I need lots of help from patient experts, so that I end up with proper equipment that fits. A place that lets you exchange the stuff (I know there would be a fee for this) if it doesn't work would be great, too...

I've been reading the forums, and Diver's Warehouse seems to be well-liked...
Sharky's seems to have mixed reviews. What is the scoop on them?
I live about 5 blocks away from Burton's Dive Service...
Feedback, please???

Thanks.
Claire.

For fit, probably the mask is the most critical thing, and the most potentially challenging to get right. OTOH, you might be one of the lucky ones that finds the one that exactly matches the shape of your face on the first try. A few people also have more issues than others finding a comfortably fitting fin. If you'll only be infrequently snorkeling on airplane trips, renting at your destination may also be an option, especially with airline baggage weight limits these days.

I wouldn't hesitate to send someone just starting out to Burton's. owlbill occasionally makes his presence known here on SB, but might not want to blow his own horn unprompted. :blinking:

Hi Bleeb!
Thanks for the recommendation.
I did think about renting gear in Hawaii, but if I go snorkeling several times, I think I might just as well buy the gear myself, because the rental prices might add up to about the same amount by the end of it. Also, I want to get a good-fitting mask, with prescription lenses (even though it will cost more), so I can see well when I am looking around underwater - I am very nearsighted.
I tried calling around to the different dive shops yesterday, but it was Sunday, so everyone but Sharky's was closed. I left messages, but no-one has called back yet.
The girl I talked to at Sharky's was pleasant but she didn't know too much about the snorkeling class there - I guess no one has asked about it in a long, long time - it sounds like they are much more focused on diving, but I imagine that is the same all around Ottawa.
I will try calling Burton's again this afternoon.
Thanks again for the advice.
:)

I think your observation about local shops primarily running dive courses is true; as snorkelling/skin diving is usually a section of Open Water training rather than a separate course per se.

You didn't mention if you had asked about (or considered) a "Discover SCUBA" session. This is a try-out in a confined water environment with SCUBA gear.

That may be another option to consider since you are considering certifying.

Good skill in your course!

Also, I want to get a good-fitting mask, with prescription lenses (even though it will cost more), so I can see well when I am looking around underwater - I am very nearsighted.

I have prescription lenses too and find them well worth the extra cost. Another option you may want to consider is disposables contacts. For some people, they tend to fall out too easily if your mask comes off or you get water in your eyes, but if they work for you they can be more convenient since you can still see without your mask when above the surface. To minimise the risk of infection, throw them out when the day's water sports are done or maybe earlier if it's a particularly long day. For more information, look around in the Basic Scuba or New Divers sections. The topic comes up periodically.

Hi Everyone!
Thanks for all of your advice!
Hey, j yaeger, I actually did go with Kanata in the end, because they were so helpful and nice on the phone when I spoke to them, and they also had the best price, by a long shot, over Sharky's and Diver's Warehouse.
The fact that I was interested in snorkeling didn't phase them at all over at Kanata, and they didn't mind at all that I had a lot of questions - the fellow I talked to, Mike, wasn't in any hurry, and we had a nice conversation about snorkeling and scuba diving, etc. I was really impressed with him, and I am very happy to be taking the course with them! They are even going to bring several different snorkels for me to try out! :)
Burton's seemed like a good place too, and Bill was nice, but they don't offer snorkeling lessons right now.
Sharky's and Diver's Warehouse would have offered me the course, too, but to be honest, they didn't seem all that interested - In a way, I kind of felt like I was bothering them when I was speaking on the phone with them, since I had several questions (being a newbie). They were polite, and everything, and gave me the basic information, but I just got the impression (again) that they were more interested in divers than snorkelers. Also, the price was a bit high, imo, just for basic snorkel instruction.
Actually, funny you should mention it cdndivefan, but I am going to try Discover Scuba, too!! Mike said I could take it at the same time, for free, and reassured me about the concerns I had with SCUBA - so I will be giving that a shot, too, while I am at it!
I think it will be a lot of fun.
Hi Bleeb! Yes, I really think I will like snorkeling, and I will definitely invest in a good mask so that I can see! I don't want to see blurry little fishlike objects swimming past me in Hawaii. :D
Well, I had better get back to work, before I get in trouble for going on scubaboard during office hours... the addiction has begun! hahaha!
Thanks again everyone!

To Canadian99999,

I think I remember speaking with you on the phone. I am sorry we couldn't help you this time but I am glad to hear that you got things sorted out.

Have fun,
Bill (Burton's Dive Service)

Hi Bill!
How are you?
Yes, we did speak on the phone. I appreciated that you took some time to talk to me, even though you aren't offering a snorkeling course yet. :)
I may drop by one day after my course is over to check out your snorkels and masks, etc. :) I want to get some gear, before my trip, and I have read about the difficutlies in finding a mask that fits properly - so I may be scouring the city a bit. I reallly want to get one that has prescription lenses of some sort, so I can actually see the fishies, instead of colourful blurry objects swimming by! :)
Yeah, I ended up going with Kanata for my snorkeling lesson, because it was much more reasonably priced than the other 2 places (for the same amount of time), and they also seemed more interested in teaching me.
I am also taking a free discover scuba course there at the same time as my snorkeling lesson, so we'll see how that goes... who knows, I might become a scuba enthusiast, too, one day!! I have to see how the snorkeling goes first, though. One step at a time, I figure.
Cheers!
Claire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom