Otter bay hood with/without neck skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kinda on topic: Does anyone ever punch ear holes in their thicker hoods?

I made "ear holes" in my 7 mil. Not so much for the hearing - didn't pay attention to if it made a difference - but to make sure I got some water in there.

The first couple of dives with that hood I got really bad ear pain. It was as if I had an air bubble in one ear, which made it impossible to get good, even pressure. Doesn't make sense to me physics wise, but the holes did make a difference.

I also made a few along the crown of the hood to minimize "Cone Head" :)

Henrik

i didn't notice the cone head when diving, but photographic evidence and the bubble i had getting out last night have convinced me that my hood needs an appointment with a hot nail...

Okay,

I know this isn't rocket science but I have reservations about just going to the garage and pulling out a large nail and then attacking the Otter bay hood.

Can anyone on the board please give me a simple walk down path on how to do this? What type of nail size? How long to heat it up? Where to stab the hood? And any other follow up procedures?

This will be greatly appreciated because I love my Otter bay hood, and I haven't even dove her yet. But I don't want to deform her when she looks so darn beautiful.

Please help me out, a pic or two would be nice but not necessary.

A million tanks, I mean thanks... LOL

MG

Mike, dive the hood first. If you have a problem, then puncture it. You'll feel less bad about it once it annoys you. Then, just put the hole above the spot where the annoying bubble was. I used a large roofing nail. It wasn't a big deal.

If it doesn't bother you, then don't puncture it. If it does bother you, take a nail, put it to the head of your hood, then whack it with a hammer. Alternatives are a .22 rifle (hope you have good aim) or a soldering iron. Just remember, don't do any of these methods while you are wearing the hood :wink: .

Peace,
Greg

My only question is how does the air bubbles vent out through the top?

Do some divers leave the hood alone and don't have a problem with bubble buildup?

Thanks,

MG

You have a custom fit. It should be pretty tight, so I doubt bubbles will be much of a problem in the beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom