over fill a low pressure steel tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One posting from the reference link:

MDW - 1/04/2012 7:31 PM
Interesting conspiracy theories. Problem is none of these "causes was mentioned in the article. There is no mention of overfilling, O2, Aluminum, heat, or impact. For all we know this was a recently hydroed and "VISed" steel tank, partially filled (to below rated pressure) with an inert gas (like helium or argon), stored in the apartment and gently handled. OK, that would be a little far fetched, but just as unlikely is that it was an aluminum tank of questionable alloy overfilled with 100% Oxygen, stored in a hot location and thrown around.

The article says "cause unknown" To me, that means "cause unknown"

I've been personalty filling old 72s and LPs to 3300 for 45 years (about 400 a year) never had one fail. Burst discs failure from old age maybe 3. I put 3000 WP tank discs in them.

View attachment 116461

A picture is worth a thousand words. This is not the tank in this thread by the way, just a picture I saw and saved.

But look at that tank....I wouldnt fill that tank, let alone overfill.

I think the whole context of this conversation is based on a few things including:

1) We are talking about STEEL tanks (LP to be specific)
2) All tanks in this conversation are assumed to be in current hydro and annual vis
3) All tanks are maintained to a high standard.

Everyone keeps trying to introduce confusion to the debate by citing Aluminum tank explosions, or pics of a tank that is a relic with NO marking whatsoever.

Given the tank is (1) steel LP and (2) IN current VIP and Hydro - it feel it is perfectly safe to go to 3500. I know higher is done - but I take my LP95s to 3000 on a majority of fills and 3500 on some. I dont think twice about it and neither does the LDS.

First of all, the hydro for an LP120 is 4000psi, not 4400. 2400 x 5 / 3.
Secondly, a 120 at 3000 is not 170cu' it's 136cu'
Thirdly, i'd put 4k in that tank without blinking an eye, too...

I say. 136.36 or so. :)

Not sure how he got to 170. That tank is 22 psi/ft^3 so he was off by 740 psi. Would not think too much about 3740, but I think lp 120s are a bit big for me anyway.

Speaking of burst disks going.....I stopped by my LSD (before compressor early 90's) to fill an old 13 pony (2015 psi). They didn't check the pressure and filled it to 3000psi.

You must have Lake Shore Drive on your mind (LSD) !

Ex-Chicagoan

Has any one seen a 3400psi tank stretch when filled to 3500? My shop says that they have filled a 100cf tank to 3500 and it drops to 3200. He claims he did it 3 times and never stayed above 3200. This was with the tank not being drained. What do people think of this idea?

Has any one seen a 3400psi tank stretch when filled to 3500? My shop says that they have filled a 100cf tank to 3500 and it drops to 3200. He claims he did it 3 times and never stayed above 3200. This was with the tank not being drained. What do people think of this idea?
When they fill a tank, the tank and the air heat up which increases the pressure. When the air temperature in the tank lowers the pressure drops.

Back
Top Bottom