OW course in Feb, Cairns. Please advice Weather and others.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gif

Registered
Reaction score

I’m planning my OW course in FEB Cairns. However, I found Feb is raining season and may suffer rough wind on open water. Is it a good time to Cairns? I also consider attending the 5 day course which includes 2 nights liveaboard dive. Is this plan too tough for a beginner?

BTW, could you recommend some diving shops and diving site?

Thanks in advance.

its the monsoon and cyclone season from dec-march. when it rains in cairns it buckets down. I went in march 2005 and encopuntered a cyclone. i will never go at that time of the year again. its also off season and cairns is very quiet then. buy hey, who knows you may just be lucky. The diving off cairns is very easy and relaxed

I did my open water dives from a liveaboard, so no, I don't think it's too tough for a beginner at all. It's much easier to dive off a boat (unless of course you're prone to seasickness) than the shore dives around here! We did a lot of dives in 3 days though. I wouldn't go any longer than that, as it can be tiring when you're new to diving.
I dove out of Airlie Beach to the south (but on the outer reed) in early March and we had good weather, but then when I tried to get up to Cairns the road was washed out and closed. When I did get there it did bucket with rain (but it was hot and like a sauna), but then it got nice again and I did get out diving.
So I'd be curious too to hear from locals from Cairns if it's commonly bad at that time of year, or if it's just iffy. I mean, there's a long hurricane season in the Caribbean but people still go out diving. Either way, I'd check out the cancellation policies.

gif:

I’m planning my OW course in FEB Cairns. However, I found Feb is raining season and may suffer rough wind on open water. Is it a good time to Cairns? I also consider attending the 5 day course which includes 2 nights liveaboard dive. Is this plan too tough for a beginner?

BTW, could you recommend some diving shops and diving site?

Thanks in advance.

It will most likely be raining that time of year. But, unless there is a bad storm seas are usually okay. The runoff does tend to adversely affect visibility. Where are you travelling from? My advice would be to get certified locally and then do a liveaboard to Osprey reef. Having said that, as a brand new diver the reefs just off of Cairns would be fun. The quality of instruction around here generally leaves a bit to be desired.

Thank you for your info!

My plan is to stay there 7-10 days. I'm just afraid that I meet a cyclone and con not complete the course.

I'm also collecting the info of Philippines, great view and good weather. Maybe it is a better choice.

or Kao tao is also an alternative.

which one is better????

confused

weatherwise i would say koh tao is better, i was there for the entire month of february this year and i only recall it raining for 3 days. the diving was fantastic there too.

It will be the rainy season when you come to Cairns, however in saying that Australia is in its worst drought in recorded history with not sign from the weather service of it breaking anytime soon. We are getting a little more rain but nothing to break anything and predictions are we might hit 50 degrees C in summer.
The rain we have been having has only been lasting 1-2 days and even then there hasnt been really any rain just a little over cast.

As someone has said maybe it would be better to get certified at home, expeically if you are in a cold water area and then just going on a live aboard and diving. I always like quick silver and the spirit of freedom.

I do however remember the first time i went to Cairns by myself at age 18 and sitting at Mcdonalds on the esplande and reading the place mat that told what to do when a cyclone hits.

RTodd:
It will most likely be raining that time of year. But, unless there is a bad storm seas are usually okay. The runoff does tend to adversely affect visibility. Where are you travelling from? My advice would be to get certified locally and then do a liveaboard to Osprey reef. Having said that, as a brand new diver the reefs just off of Cairns would be fun. The quality of instruction around here generally leaves a bit to be desired.

I would have a tendency to agree with this statement about the quality of instruction.

I am assuming you are looking at pro dive?
I have dived with them and have done the 3 day/2 night live aboard and ill be honest, there basically students on board. Out of 30 people I was the only one not doing a course.Which company were you thinking of going with?

I would recommend quick silver diving/services in Port Douglas. I dont know if still there but instructors name John radmall? allie? paddy?
I never had problems when I did some courses with them myself and found them quite good.

Visibility can be affected by run off from the forests from cyclones but it also depends which reef you are diving and how far from land you are.

Thanks for all the information!

After consider the weather, price and other things, I may give up the trip to Cairns. I may go Bohol and alona beach is quite beautiful. The price is also cheaper than Australia. I may take OW and AOW in Bohol and will go Cairns later.

Koh Tao is also a choice, but I can not find a package with reasonbale price. It really seems strange, the air rates is very very high.

No worries mate.

No matter where you end up have a great time, be safe and enjoy the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom