oxycheq 18# vs DSS torus 17# vs DSS LCD 20#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the two DSS wings will be the same price, the Oxycheq is likely more expensive, but call Cave Adventurers and see what their price is and if they have them in stock.

I would personally go with the DSS LCD20. It's a bit shorter than the Torus 17 which isn't relevant if you only dive AL80's, but if you dive HP100's, LP72's, AL63's etc, having the wing shorter than the tank is a bit helpful especially when trying to prevent pinch flats.

So all things being equal you would go with the cheapest of the three?

Also people mention that the oxycheq 17 and 30 are the same size. I assume the oxycheq 30 has more depth given the length and width are the same.

30 is just ever so slightly wider than 17. The main different is the length. 30 is longer. If you are going with Oxycheq, I would say for get about 17 altogether. Their 30 is also very low profile.

So all things being equal you would go with the cheapest of the three?

Also people mention that the oxycheq 17 and 30 are the same size. I assume the oxycheq 30 has more depth given the length and width are the same.

It's labeled an 18 not 17. I own the 18, 30 and 40. They are similar in size but not the same. The 18 is significantly smaller than the 40 and noticeably smaller than the 30, the main difference is in length but also width does increase up the range. I can post a photo of all three side by side if you'd like.

I have personal experience with Oxycheq wing myself. While it isn't an issue, it is definitely not a travel friendly wing compare to DSS and Halcyon. It is not a urban legend. You need to to have comparison to tell the differences. Before I acquire other wing, I thought my oxycheq was good enough too

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2015 at 09:59 AM ----------

then you either haven't had a very travel friendly wing, or you didn't pack your other wing properly. Even a Halcyon Evolve double wing will pack much smaller than Oxycheq single wing. A H Eclipse single wing will fold into shirt like size. My oxcheq can never pack nearly as small

Hilarious! Your definition of "travel friendly" must be something smaller than a regular suitcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was one time I was packing for a trip. Left is Oxycheq 40lb, it really doesn't fold that well due to the stiff material. Right top is H Eclipse 30lb. Right Bottom is H Evolve 40lb. Backplate is already under the boots. With H wing, my regulator and light will fit. Not with Oxycheq, it barely make it in. The suit case is regular 22" carry-on

it is not a urban legend and I didn't read it from internet. I had all these wings and travel with them and that is why I made the statement about Oxycheq is not very travel friendly, especially when compared to H or similar design

wing packing.jpg

I am in the process of picking out a new single tank wing. I am currently using a halcyon pioneer 27#. When I was looking at an old video I noticed that there was a fair amount of taco-ing going on.
If you did not look at the video you wouldn't had noticed the "taco" effect. So it did not affect your diving at all. Why replace it?

If you can post the three oxycheq wings side by side that would be a really helpful picture.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2015 at 03:35 PM ----------

If you did not look at the video you wouldn't had noticed the "taco" effect. So it did not affect your diving at all. Why replace it?
Single bladder vs bladder in shell. Also I'm sure I'll sell it for more than what I paid for it.

My two frequent dive buddies use oxycheq wings. Does anybody have any insight regarding the DSS LCD20 vs torus17 v mach 5 18#?
Thanks.

Disclaimer: I have been diving less than a year, with less than 50 dives.

I have a DSS LCD30 wing, which I've had since immediately after I completed my OW training. It is the only wing I have used since I got it.

My current wing is a horseshoe. My next single tank wing will be a donut. I have seen a lot of posts that say horseshoe vs donut doesn't matter. I have seen a fair number of posts saying that the poster prefers a donut over a horseshoe. I can only think of one time where I heard someone say that they prefer a horseshoe over a wing.

Any wing I buy in the future will have a zipper to allow me access to the inner bladder. Apparently, I am a clumsy and inexperienced dolt, but I have repaired 3 holes in the bladder of my DSS wing that were pinch flats. I.e. on a pitching boat, while changing tanks, apparently I must have dropped my BP/W rig onto the bench (I.e. less than 1 foot) and the corner of the BP landed on the wing and punched holes in the bladder. The LCD wing has a zipper so I was able to pull the bladder out and patch it easily.

The DSS Torus wings do not have a zipper or any other way to repair a pinch flat in the field, if you get one.

Disclaimer: I have been diving less than a year, with less than 50 dives.

I have a DSS LCD30 wing, which I've had since immediately after I completed my OW training. It is the only wing I have used since I got it.

My current wing is a horseshoe. My next single tank wing will be a donut. I have seen a lot of posts that say horseshoe vs donut doesn't matter. I have seen a fair number of posts saying that the poster prefers a donut over a horseshoe. I can only think of one time where I heard someone say that they prefer a horseshoe over a wing.

Any wing I buy in the future will have a zipper to allow me access to the inner bladder. Apparently, I am a clumsy and inexperienced dolt, but I have repaired 3 holes in the bladder of my DSS wing that were pinch flats. I.e. on a pitching boat, while changing tanks, apparently I must have dropped my BP/W rig onto the bench (I.e. less than 1 foot) and the corner of the BP landed on the wing and punched holes in the bladder. The LCD wing has a zipper so I was able to pull the bladder out and patch it easily.

The DSS Torus wings do not have a zipper or any other way to repair a pinch flat in the field, if you get one.

Maybe inflate the wing a bit when changing tanks? Prevention is always easier than dealing with the carnage afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom