OxyCheq - Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm having my LDS order the ultra-light plate tomorrow with the speed harness. I'll be using it with my original Mach V wing and STA on my Dec/Jan trip to Coz/Akumal. Figured I'd get it early so I could play with it in the pool when I get a chance.

This is not a complaint, it is just what I am doing. I could not get the camband through the slot in the mini plate to line up with the any of the slots on the 18 pound wing and still line up with the grommeted 11" OC holes to which you are to install two "sexbolts." So, I spread the cambands to the center webbing on the back of the mini plate. There are two webbing slots on the plate that do line up with the slots in the 18 pound Mach V so I just ran my cambands through those slots and through the wing slots. I realize this may be wrong but it seems to work and it seems to line up the plate and wing into a reasonable looking position.

My concern is that the weight of the tank and the cambands pulling outward on that sewn webbing on the mini plate might eventually rip free. I might make a miniture stainless STA (1.0''X approx 8.0" X .025"") that will mount on the front side of the mini plate and then two additional sexbolts through the stainless strip, through two burnt holes in the mini plate, through a matching burned hole in the cambands and wing center webbing thus securing the entire assembly as one piece and distributing the stress.

N

The way I have mine set up is I have all 4 grommets aligning between the plate and the 18# wing. Sex bolts can be in any two but I have them in the top and the third. I then have one SP type camband threaded through the wing at the lower tank stabilizer and then through the 2" webbing on the plate. This puts the strap close to the centroid of buoyancy for an AL80 so the bottom doesn't get too floaty. It means I have to have the strap set up right and plenty tight since there is no second strap.

I'm not too worried about wear and tear where the camband is bearing. The plate seems pretty robust and it's actually fairly difficult to get the camband threaded through the webbing because its so tight. It also is threaded just above the lower sexbolt which should give additional support. As far as travel goes, it eliminates a camband and thus about a pound of weight.

Just got done re-setting up my UltraLite Back Plate with n 18# Mach V Signature wing. I had previously used my Mach V 30# Extreme when I first go the plate, but I just got a Freedom Plate and decided to switch the 30# to it and get an 18# for travel.

In order to get the slots in the wing and the slot/webbing slot to line up, I had to raise the wing on the plate - the 2nd grommet on the wing lines up with the top grommet on the plate. When set this way, my cambands will fit through both the slots in the plate and the webbing slot. This leaves both cambands pretty close together - and they do cause the cross webbing on the wing to wrinkle slightly.

One thing I really did like is the new wing has the "roll control" and the tank feels even more stable.

I don't think I saved any weight between the 30# Mach V Extreme and the 18# Mach V Signature - when I weighed the plate with the 18# wing it was within 2/10 ths of a pound of the Extreme - which is as close as my digital bathroom scale can get (and well within the variance I get doing 2 successive weighings of me) :D:D

I will be curious to see how the 18# wing feels vs the 30#.

TN Traveler,

How do you like the new Freedom Plate? I just got one as well and have yet to try it out. Also, I am having Bryan rebuild the DA Aquamaster I got from you and I can't wait to get it in the water as well.

Thanks again.

Ryan

In order to get the slots in the wing and the slot/webbing slot to line up, I had to raise the wing on the plate - the 2nd grommet on the wing lines up with the top grommet on the plate. When set this way, my cambands will fit through both the slots in the plate and the webbing slot. This leaves both cambands pretty close together - and they do cause the cross webbing on the wing to wrinkle slightly.

I don't understand the problem. I used the top hole on the UL plate and the top hole on the 18# wing and both tank strap slots on the wing and the plate line right up. 3" of space between the tank straps and no wrinkles on the wing. I believe that pair of rubber lined slots in the plate are for a single tank strap application with some other wing.

I don't understand the problem. I used the top hole on the UL plate and the top hole on the 18# wing and both tank strap slots on the wing and the plate line right up. 3" of space between the tank straps and no wrinkles on the wing. I believe that pair of rubber lined slots in the plate are for a single tank strap application with some other wing.

The problem is that I called the "authority" and was told your method (and mine) is WRONG and that I was doing it all wrong---lol. So, I guess I am doing it WRONG because it will not work RIGHT.

I have no idea what that "rubber lined" slots are for because they line up with absolutely nothing on my wing and will not work with it.

N

The rubber lined slots in the back plate line up with the top of the bottom slots of my wing(s). The web slot on the back plate line up with the bottom of the top slots of my wing - but, when both are installed there is a very slight "crinkling" of the 1" webbing on the wing that separates the upper and lower slots - but it does not effect the wing itself. Threading the cambands through the back plate takes some effort the first time. One thing I found is it is easier to attach the cambands first and then put the sex-bolts in place - if you bolt the wing and plate together, there is not enough room to thread the cambands easily.

A pic is worth 1000 words.

Attachments

• ULwing 001.jpg
    ULwing 001.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 632
  • ULwing 002.jpg
    ULwing 002.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 575
awap, are you relying on the plastic sexbolts to secure the tank and wing to the plate, or did you have a cam band removed in the second picture?

I've been looking at this rig for a while, but I think I'll strip down my Transpac.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom