Oxygen clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to see a major knock-down-drag-out that we had over cleaning a couple years ago, see:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t4305/s.html

Roak

Ps. Be sure to follow the links in that note, and the links to the notes that are linked -- it makes for very entertaining reading!

For 50% or higher oxygen mixes, your 1st stage regulator will be torn apart and reassembled with many new parts, all of them oxygen compatible. The charge is anywhere from $50 to $75.

For 2nd stages, no matter what the oxygen mix, I do not know of any kind of protocols for oxygen cleaning. For ScubaPro and Atomic, there is no such cleaning required for a 2nd stage.

roakey once bubbled...
If you want to see a major knock-down-drag-out that we had over cleaning a couple years ago, see:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t4305/s.html

Roak

As Roakey ably pointed out, this discussion surfaced a few years ago, and seems to resurface every so often. A really good treatment is offered in several texts by Dick Rutkowski, the man who brought Nitrox to the civilian diving world. (...And who, by the way, bids hello to all from Sharkey's in Key Largo!...)

Another source is Bill High's text on cylinder inspection and gas systems for PSI, Inc. as well as his excellent courses.

Again the consensus (please note that word) is that, certainly with the standard Nitrox mixes (i.e. NN32 and NN36) regulators DO NOT need to be specially prepared. Most, if not all of the technical agencies do not require special procedures until the oxygen percentage exceeds forty percent (40%).

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING WARNING! (1) THIS IS A DISCUSSION OF THE CONSENSUS OF OPINION, NOT A DIRECTIVE! (2) ALWAYS DO THE RESEARCH ON YOUR PARTICULAR PIECE OF EQUIPMENT. BE ESPECIALLY AWARE OF THE MATERIAL OF THE SEATS, FILTERS, AND O-RINGS. (3) KEEP IN MIND YOUR INTENDED USE.

As an example, I have four Apeks TX-100's set up for mixed-gas OC diving. They have all been cleaned, o-ringed, filter changed, and lubricated for oxygen use up to 100%. I do it for all four because I only need one set of part numbers, and procedures for those regs. Also, any one of them can be used in any of the positions for travel, bottom, and deco gas. I keep them in separate bags, and never use them for ordinary diving air! If that sounds a bit paranoid, just remember: "Just because you are paranoid does NOT mean that Murphy is NOT out to get you!":grad:

Since the 1st stage regulator(s) that you "wear" on your back-gas tanks will never have more than 36% O2 in those tanks, you never need to O2 clean those 1st stages.

If you sling deco bottles, then your 50% or higher mixes will be utilized at 70 ft or shallower. You would therefore at most need one high performance 1st stage O2 cleaned for depths of around 70 ft. Your second O2 cleaned 1st stage for EAN80 or 100% O2 does not need to be a high performance reg, since you are going to be breathing off it at 30 ft or shallower.

Sometimes I wonder why some divers have so many high performance O2 cleaned regs. There is really no reason for it.

Pure O2 egression profile:

100% O2 at 20 ft
EAN50 at 70 ft
TMX 30/30 at 100 ft

EAN80 egression profile:

EAN80 at 30 ft, 20 ft, 10 ft
EAN36 at 100 ft
TMX 18/30 at 150 ft

I do not see the need for too many high performance O2 cleaned regs on either of those profiles.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

Sometimes I wonder why some divers have so many high performance O2 cleaned regs. There is really no reason for it.

Actually, there is. Just because you dont understand it doesnt mean its not a valid reason...

I have all my regs all the same so, In case one dies or becomes damaged on the boat or the day before a dive, and I cant fix it before I dive, I can replace it with any other one, with no big drama and not lose a dive. For example, in a pinch my O2 reg can become my argon reg, or vice versa. No one particular reg is different. Actually, I could NOT disagree with you more about a low quality reg for your last stop on a high O2 mix. That reg is usually the BEST performer, because you may be on that one for a while. I dont want it to breath like a dog if I have a 40 minute or more stop at 20 and 10 ft. Unbalanced pistons dont do it for me. ALL balanced diaphragm regs for me thank you very much.

YMMV, but dont discount someones opinion entirely just because you dont see why someone does something. Next time that happens, just ASK someone why do we do that??? We will respond...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...

I have all my regs all the same so, In case one dies or becomes damaged on the boat or the day before a dive, and I cant fix it before I dive, I can replace it with any other one

Good idea, but an extremely expensive good idea! :)

I have found that if I have my regs annually serviced, then check them out myself locally at a convenient dive site before going boat diving, then I have never had one fail during a serious boat trip.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
I have found that if I have my regs annually serviced, then check them out myself locally at a convenient dive site before going boat diving, then I have never had one fail during a serious boat trip.

I service all my own regs. I own six regs. They all get serviced more often than most people service regs. Still, all that being said, the proverbial stuff happens. You never know,. you just never know. I have seen regs blow HP seats for no reason, second stages malfunctioning, etc, etc, etc...

As far as it being expensive, I have a magic word for you:

KEYMAN!!!

cd_in_SeaTac once bubbled...
The poll show's 88% of respondents believe no cleaning is necessary, just what jeffkruse and jimc said. What exactly is your point?
The point is that this is not a poll and that most divers on this board do not have the means to test for combustion. So who is right: the manufacturers who did the testing, but who might also be overly cautious and covering their ..., or your 88% who'se regulators have not exploded and who therefore believe that no combustion is taking place?
Quite frankly I don't know either, but I think new divers need to see all the facts so that they can make their own decision.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

O2 cleaning of tanks and valves is required IF partial pressure blending is used to fill the tanks with nitrox or trimix. If nitrox or trimix fills are done by filling premixed blends, and the mixture will be less than 40% O2, then O2 cleaning although recommended by some, is not required. O2 Cleaning of tanks and valves when filling with premixed blends is like chicken soup for a cold, it may not help, but it won't hurt either.

As for your regulator, as long as you are using it for O2 levels at 40% and lower, and they have NO titanium components that react with high O2 levels, and the manufacturer does not explicitly warn against its use with nitrox below 40% O2. Then it's fine to use right out of the box.

For O2 levels above 40%, all components that come into contact with this mixture MUST be O2 clean. That includes your SPG! You would NOT use this mixture to fill your BCD/Wing or your dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom